Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
polycarbonate windscreen for esprit - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

polycarbonate windscreen for esprit

Guest teigan

i know they aren't street legal, but has anyone considered having a stunt window made for the esprit? i'm sure the lotus racecars had them; those looked entirely flat though. i could make one the exact same shape by drying/heating a flat sheet and draping it over the existing glass windscreen. would anyone else be interested in fitting such a window if i create them? i may have to job it out as i haven't an oven large enough.

apart from safety improvement, a polycarbonate window would be cheaper to replace, lighter, and less likely to crack under stress taking tight turns. it may or may not need an aluminum edge bracing for stiffness since the esprit windscreen is structural. if lotus were cooperative, they could tell us, but i'm guessing we're on our own. the first batch i make will be sans brace as that will be prettier, and a curved shape will already offer some twist resistance.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only problem is they scratch easily - hence the reason glass is used, was going to get polycarb stuff fitted to the Elise but after I seen the results it's simply not worth it.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

I don't if this is of any use but on ebay there was a Stevens Esprit fitted with a Lamborghini Diablo windscreen not so long back... goodness knows what they did to it to get it to fit in but somehow they managed it.. :)

Fitting a polycarbonate windscreen should be a doddle considering...

Edited by EspritMiltonKeynes

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

Hi Teigan,

Yes, I would be interested in a polycarbonate windscreen if you go ahead. I already have polycarb side windows and rear quarters and as you mention, it would be a lot lighter and easier to replace.

Cost would be one concern though, as my experience so far is that polycarb is not cheap...

Let me know if you plan to go ahead etc.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

hey mike. for an esprit, 'taint as expensive as the glass ones surprisingly. i'm guessing you track your car as i will be doing more. do the side windows roll down, or does it have a sliding picturebox vent? is your car's windscreen the same as all esprits? if it is, i'll research prices for a group buy. not sure what freight would be, so you should probably ask around locally too. please post photos of your current plastic windows. i'm sure everyone is curious now. cheers.

The project was based on building a car for the track, but since then I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

yes, they are easy to get scratch....then you can't see clearly through them...

stay with conventional glass window.... unless you consider to replace them oftenly.

**it is just like magnesium alloy wheels...you can save alot of weight, but they change shape easily..(and cracking)

also, you may save weight by using a brake system called "willowood" (they are very light)

don't know about the braking performance against Bembo...

**it is just like magnesium alloy wheels...you can save alot of weight, but they change shape easily..(and cracking)

I

There are many cars which have magnesium alloy wheels. Some of Lotus

so, mike_sekinger, the magnesium alloy wheels are good for daily use??

I am thinking about them, as the prices have come down alot

The Sport 350 is fitted as standard with OZ magnesium alloy wheels. I haven't heard of any sport 350 owner having any problems with their wheels.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

the only problems i've heard about magnesium wheels is with people who like low profile tires. the esprits has a big enough tire, that you really have to hit a curb or more at speed to deform the wheel.

as for scratches on the plastic windows, you just take care of them as you would spectacles or goggles. as i mentioned before, scratches buff out. especially the kind that cloud vision. deep scratches and gouges are unfixable, but you can avoid those with proper care.

The 'supercoat' polycarbonate from SHIELDS CO., have a 30% reduction in hazing compared to 'regular' polycarbonate.

http://www.racingshields.com/products.htm

fwiw-

Craig

I'm in the begining steps of doing all four windows in the doors, both 1/4 glass, and SE decklid glass.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

keep us posted craig. what do you think of mike's windows. are you gonna try and get away with street driving with them on? my car's a g esprit, so i don't think i can share windows with everyone. am i correct?

good going paul. is it roll down or picturebox?

you should have a little lotus badge etched in like those fake neon signs on ebay.

Edited by teigan

good going paul.  is it roll down or picturebox?

you should have a little lotus badge etched in like those fake neon signs on ebay.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Picture box.

Was a ten minute fit, in between removing the original

glass from my face and arms. Have just been real slack

about getting the repair done, but it's happening soon.

Most people have not even noticed the difference, but

it does scratch a lot more, and i was cooking in there in

july.

:angry:

if it's okay quality, you should save the plastic window for race days. it's definitely safer. given that you're stunt prone, you might want to have one made of sugar. that way, next time you're showing off you won't have cuts.

if it's okay quality, you should save the plastic window for race days.  it's definitely safer.  given that you're stunt prone, you might want to have one made of sugar.  that way, next time you're showing off you won't have cuts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or chocolate. :angry:

great idea. so it's settled then. for my birthday i want: a full size chocolate esprit with clear candy glass windows and bubblegum tires.

Edited by teigan

keep us posted craig.  what do you think of mike's windows.  are you gonna try and get away with street driving with them on?  my car's a g esprit, so i don't think i can share windows with everyone.  am i correct?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do I think? Sh*t!, look at that thing! Top of the Esprit food chain as far as I'm concerned! The doors/1/4 glass, rear windows(3) are perfectly street legal. (at least where I am they are) the windscreen is not of course though. Plus, polycarbonate does not have as good of optics as glass. I don't drive the SE much on the street though, so no big deal. I'm not too familiar with the G cars, so i can't really comment on compatability.

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

Guest Troy Halliday

Mike what are you doing with my car :lol:

You have what I intend to end up with, don't supose you fancy a swap with a nicely restored S3 :lol: ................ what no harm in asking :angry:

You have what I intend to end up with, don't supose you fancy a swap with a nicely restored S3  ................ what no harm in asking

:angry: No harm at all.....