Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Garrett T-25 Questions - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Garrett T-25 Questions

Ok, here is my question:

The V8s have Garrett T-25 Turbos installed on them. My question is this:

The flanges on the T-25.. Are they the same that Mitsubishi uses for their applications on thier 4G63 motors? Or does the T-25 only correspond to the compressor wheels and not the the housing as a unit?

The thing is this: I have 2 Garrett T-25s from my old 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. If the flanges are the same on the housings, I could get these turbos reflowed and installed into my Esprit.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The T-25 flange refers to the turbine housing. There are literally hundreds of T-25 type turbos which share a common exhaust flange arrangement for the connection to the manifold.

Unfortunately, the Esprit has a bespoke T-25 exhaust housing in that the turbine outlet side is structured for connection to the CAT. Many T-25 have a flat faced 5 stud outlet, where the Esprit has a round three stud version. You could overcome this with some fabrication work, but you might have space constraints if you

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Wow! What a response! Thanks. That was the info I was looking for. It's a shame though, I have 2 T-25's sitting in my garage that need new compressor nad exhaust wheels. I was going ot send them out to get rebuilt as T-28s, but since I can't use them it is pointless. It would have been nice ot have a spare set of turbos for modification purposes. The T-25s for my Mitsubishi would have been nice to use, because the housing was designed for use with an intercooler.

Edited by actwon

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

I had a couple of spare sets and sold one set on eBay last week.

I had TurboTechnics make me a set of hybrids not that long ago. The best they could manage was to machine both housings and opt for a combination of T3 inducer and T28 exducer (approx 20% bigger). They also fitted a 360deg thrust bearing and upgraded the wastegate capsule.

Given the problems of fitting a physically bigger turbo in the space provided, they felt that this would provide the best compromise in flow vs. efficiency. Even after this the turbo is only good for approx 280bhp per bank.

After my discussions with them, for the boost that you

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I had a couple of spare sets and sold one set on eBay last week.

I had TurboTechnics make me a set of hybrids not that long ago. The best they could manage was to machine both housings and opt for a combination of T3 inducer and T28 exducer (approx 20% bigger). They also fitted a 360deg thrust bearing and upgraded the wastegate capsule.

Given the problems of fitting a physically bigger turbo in the space provided, they felt that this would provide the best compromise in flow vs. efficiency. Even after this the turbo is only good for approx 280bhp per bank.

After my discussions with them, for the boost that you

Edited by actwon

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916

Nathan:

If you are planning running that much boost, I hope you are using forged pistons for the lower end rebuild.  The stock cast pistons are unlikely to withstand those boost levels.  That's not a high level of boost, but cast pistons will end up with holes. 

JAE (www.JAEparts.com) has JE Forged Pitsons for the V8.

Mark (Feff) Pfeffer

Feffman@Yahoo.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mark,

Oh yeah.. Definitely forged pistons for the bottom end rebuild. Thanks for the input.

actwon

------

'14 Nike Shox

'12 Range Rover Sport

'01 Esprit V8

'95 Ducati 916