Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
can runs fantastic, but wont start randomly when I turn it off.. - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

can runs fantastic, but wont start randomly when I turn it off..

mamovaka

Guys,

got the lotus back after everything.. I had to return it to the mechanic to find out why it is doing this

first off.. the entire engine/exhaust was taken apart and gone through.. cleaned up.. the car is running very well right now.. however when it's been running for awhile and then I turn off the engine it refuses to start again.. the engine clicks but it never starts.. after some time it will start..

also even when I Remove the key there seems to be something going on with the car.. it still seem to be on sometimes

these are the only two issue it seems to have.. besides that its running better than ever...

anyone have a clue what it could be? ECU? fuel pump? I am guessing electrical..

Edited by mamovaka

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the car back from the mechanic.. the bloody thing is driving better than ever.. solid as all hell..

but randomly and for no good reason it just wont restart sometimes.. sometimes in 5 minutes sometimes in 2 hours later.. no clue why, no clue how..

anyone?!

Glad that the car is running well.

Your problem sounds electrical - it may well be that you have a poor connection somewhere from where the engine went back it.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

could it be the crank case sensor?(crankshaft sensor) ? the starter cranks but the engine doesnt choose to start.. sometimes it does though..

remember he did open that area of the car up to replace the oil pump.. is it possible he messed up the crankshaft sensor during that process?

Edited by mamovaka

The crank sensor would be a good place to start, since the engine is cranking but not firing.

I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I had that very thing on my old Clio. It started up, drove it, parked, then a few minutes later it would not start ( it would turn well enough but not fire ) . If I left it for a while it would start again. Then one day it refused to start. The RAC man sussed it out. It was the fuel pump relay - no fuel, no go.

Right then, said Fred.

Try the lotus flood clear next time, hold the throttle to the floor while cranking, ECU won't send any fuel to the engine, crank for 20 secs or so. Then release the throttle and try to crank again, if this works you might be leaking fuel into the engine. (primary or secondary fuel injectors)

Or try adding a battery ground directly from the battery neg. to the engine, if that fixes it make it permanent (make it permanent anyways). Lots of electrical issues are traced back to weak grounds.

Hi,I have a 1997 SE and had what sounds like the same problem.

After spending a great deal of time and money with two auto electritions it ended up being the ECU.My service centre is 600K away and it would have been cheeper to have put him on a plane for the day.

I got a replacement through JAE.

They had the better pricing compared with UK.

Also got the 350 model ECU.Night and Day!!!

Cheers,

Murray

No, the car would always start when cold, but would not restart sometimes after short or long use.This just seemed to get progressivly worse but had no fualts when the auto guys came to rescue me(some hours later) so wasn't easy to find the fault as it seemed to reset it's self.They had the car in their work shop for days and no fault.Then I would get it back and...

The ECU is triple layered and we tried soldering any possible dry joints but no luck.

In the end the only answer was a replacement.

The now runs great and is sooooo much quicker with the high tourque ECU.

So it was'nt all bad.

Cheers,

Murray