Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V8 has not got the performance of a V8 GT - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

V8 has not got the performance of a V8 GT

Well I have recently got a mint 2002 V8 and have got to say that the performance is not as quick as the V8 GT.

Both cars have been in A1 condition but the GT revs to 7500 (V8 7000) and is much quiker off the line 0-100 9.5 (V8 10.5).

I guess Lotus detuned the V8s to spare th gearbox a bit via the ECU but I think I prefer the GT performance (but it needs traction control)

Anybody else driven both and noticed the difference?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The GT is marginally quicker but shouldn't be noticeable. Unless you flash its ECM with the S350 code.

Alternatively one or both of the wastegate capsules on the GT may have seized shut or there was a leak in the vacuum line. 0-100 in 9.5 is very fast (low 10s is more the norm). I remember both my capsules had failed and on getting them replaced the car was noticably slower.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

There must be something wrong if you are noticing any significant difference in performance between the two models.

The later car may have the later ECU code, which should actually make it feel quicker off the mark.

As Neal suggests, you either had a V8-GT with a wastegate problem (overboosting), or your MY02 has a problem making full power.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

At Vmax I managed 154 in my 350, which was very poor. I had the wastegate capsules replaced and both cats as well and the next time it did 172. That means it was way down on power but I did not notice it when driving normally, after all, it's still a 3.5 litre V8 so I think it's hard to tell when it's not producing full power.

Right then, said Fred.

• Gold FFM

flat out at 280 km/h :) (nearly everytime if the temp. was low enough)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Wow nice love hearing of these top speed stories wish we did a VMAX here in NZ... im dreaming up of local airstrips they will let me use (dreamer) so i can find out my top end speed!! I wish... Our race tracks arent quite long enough im afraid.

350.gifNo.23

• Gold FFM

Kylie, if i can find it -you get a link to the "SportAuto"-Magazine Test archiv. Than you can read what the sport350 does at max. on 'D

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..