Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fuel Smell - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fuel Smell

Greg D

Hi Everyone,

Well, I have read through the Forum on this one and will go through the checks recommended but just wanting to know what the old hands initial thoughts are on this. A little while after the car has been started a fairly strong fuel smell comes from the drivers side only seat belt upper opening. After the car been standing for a while it goes away. Fuel cross over line?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that's deffo the first thing to check. Several other potential offenders inc. split rubber gear lever gaitor, fuel tanks etc. A quick Search should reveal quite a few previous threads on the subject that'll provide plenty of pointers.

For additional 'how to' guides check out the Maintenance section over on LotusEspritWorld

Hi Greg,

Be sure to check all of the breather hoses not just the crossover pipe as all of the PU hose used is vulnerable. Once you've removed the shelf under the drivers side rear window you should be able to see most of the pipe work. Don't be fooled by the fact the pipe looks Ok on one side either as it's often cracked on the side facing away from you :animier: . I've replaced almost all of my pipe work now and there's plenty of it on the SE. Allow plenty of time if you have to remove the crossover pipe as both the carpet covering the pipe and the tube itself is glued in with Lotus mega contact adhesive one of the strongest glues in the known universe !, you'll need very strong fingers and a wide bladed screwdriver to prise it out.

Martyn :sick:

Thanks guys. Time allowing I'm going to have a look this weekend. Hope I find it's the hoses and nothing to major.....

You don't say if it's carby or FI, if it's FI, don't bother reading on. If it's carby check your thottle pump diaphrams! I had a smell of petrol when starting mine, the usual 2 pumps on the pedal, the diaphram was leaking, the rear one straight down onto the distributor! Potential time bomb. But check the breather as well.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)