Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Drive Shaft - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Drive Shaft

Was on my way up to the North Yorkshire Lotus Owners Club yesterday for the first time when my n/s drive shaft sheared on the threaded section where the nut holds the hub onto the shaft. The threaded part sheared approximately 5mm from the end of the threaded section.

Has I set off from home I heard a noise simular to a sticking break releasing, but didn't get too concerned so continued for approximetly 7 miles, fortunately at moderate speed, when the rear n/s wheel started grinding. Couldn't move the car so had to come home by road side recovery.

As anyone experienced a drive shaft shearing on the threaded section that is not in torsion and has anyone any ideas what may have caused it?

The n/s drive shaft nut had previously kept comming loose so I fitted an addition lock nut when I changed the bearing 4000 miles ago.

The car is a 2002 V8 which as covered 32k miles of which I have done 8k of those miles and as not been driven hard while in my ownership.

Is it possible just to change the outboard end that is broken or is it best to change the complete shaft and are these available from any other car manuafacture.

Thanks in advance

Will

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Rumors (from top gear) say it is rover metro. Bud i don

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Rumour was Metro 6R4 rally car spec...

That's what I thought. Also, if I recall the Jaguar XJ220 engine was from a 6R4. Doesn't help much getting hold of a driveshaft other than from Lotus!

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

Hi Gunter,

I don't think I over tighten it I torqued it up to 270NM (200lbft) as recommented on this forum.

Just completed fitting the driveshaft and bearing this evening. I got the new parts from my local discount motor centre by taking the old parts for his supplier to match up. I've not paid for them yet so don't know if I've got a bargain yet? will find out tomorrow.

Going to change the gearbox oil next but having trouble locating the recommented lubricant, Castrol TAF-X 75w/90, locally in South Yorkshire. Can anyone recomment a good supplier?

Will

• Gold FFM

it's also available at ordinary car parts stores over here, as this is nothing (lotus)special on it. Try ad ask Marcus (PUK) or "R&B" if they would send it to you...

• 10 months later...

while i was downshifting off the expressway (highway) ramp my engine revved but my transmission did not link up. i had to get a tow. i immediately thought it was the clutch/release bearing. i towed it and replaced the clutch competely. took me 2 yr to put it all back together and its still doing the same thing. where the cover to the gears are located sounds like a tin can. i opened up the cover and the gears, syncros, etc look fine. no flakes or broken pieces. i am thinking it could be the clutch drive shaft or a bad bearing on one of the gear shafts.

i was wondering it the same thing happened in this thread. are you talking about the drive shafts that connect to the cv shafts or the clutch shaft or the shafts that the transmission gears are located on (primary/secondary output shafts).

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure this issue was the drive shaft at the wheel that sheared, at the point where the nut secures it in the wheel bearing.

I've just read your pair of posts (the two year old one and the recent one). I'll post any thoughts there to keep it joined up.

• Gold FFM

yeah, right -interesting to see if the rumors about the rear wheel bearing 'is an Renault-part' are right, or not !

Rear Wheel Bearing No.

The number on the old bearing is: SNR TGB 10872 S02 the number from the box of the new bearing is:GHK1315 and was in a unipart box. I think the man from the spares shop only charged me around

• Gold FFM

do you mean this reference, first row it says also some other bearings for this application:

http://www.fengli-auto.com/wh-2.html

2nd Generation Hub Units

Bearing No. DAC401080017/32 (would say,  this means Dacia-Renault !?),

alternatives:

BREDA C557  ,SKF BA2B445533 ,IRB IR-8048 ,SNR TGB10872S02   for application : Renault

Edited by G