Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
V12 Esprit - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

V12 Esprit

I am trying to post some pics of my V12 Esprit - hope this works. I will try to get some bigger pics, oh, there is a pic of my M3 in there as well.

The V12 uses a BMW V12 (M70) with a dry sump and the BMW fuel injection.

Not working yet, but getting there.

post-1320-1214513397.jpg

post-1320-1214513479.jpg

post-1320-1214513526.jpg

post-1320-1214513628.jpg

post-1320-1214513636.jpg

post-1320-1214513648.jpg

Edited by lotusross

ummmm.......

Cool as fcuk dude.....!!!!

How..?? Hilly only just fitted a v8 how do you cope with the length of a v12 and a gearbox without having a trailor hooked up to the back....????

Simon

Chunky Lover

How do I post larger pics, they are too big to upload even when I crop them.

I cut a hole in the firewall and I am making a removeable panel, I also reinforced the firewall with some aluminum.

It doesn't intrude that much, really.

Holy F@#K!

Robert Costa
1984 Turbo Esprit
Very Black!
2004 Lotus Elise
Quite Green! gone 😞

1977 S1 Esprit, in less bits

1998 Lotus Elise S1, Azure Blue
Sydney, Australia

“The car's weakest part is the nut holding the steering wheel”

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

No, I was going to use the old Citreon Transaxle.

It's all part of the adventure.

I have 2 boxes, if something breaks I will have a new part made, maybe out of a different material, replace it, and try again.

At this point, I am pretty good at taking the thing apart and putting it back again. 1st time I did the U joints, it took me 2 hours per side.

I can do then in about 20 minutes now.

OK, I am uploading some pics to photo bucket, how do I get them on here so you guys can see?

• Gold FFM

just insert the link to the files into your comment !

PS. mention the rotational and translatoric effects of bigger dimensions. It's not only material that counts on order to strengthening effects...

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

which type of gearbox was used in the Procar homologation M1 BMWs ?! Maybe it's an option to..

• Gold FFM

one way : upload via the full reply (notice file upload button).

other way: as advised, try to use photo-bucket, image-shack or others. most of them will give an file address (together with an thumbnail) that you can copy in your comment.

Nice...

Like everyone else, wouldn't have thought it was possible for the BMW V12 to fit in the back. Guess that theory's been proven wrong :welcome:

It is a big ass lump of an engine.

DSC03479a.jpg

750x700x680mm cube if I can recall. Stuck this one in the back of a Diablo replica, and with an Audi Transaxle, it was almost 1.5m long.

29mar1.jpg

I'd be a bit worried about the gearbox too. These engines push 280BHP in standard? And with an aftermarket EMS, 300, 350, 400... Well how many horses do you want :thumbsup: I know the Audi transaxle can take it.

What are you doing about the engine management system and the drive by wire throttles? Going to change those for a mechanical linkage?

Looking good, and will be following this one with interest.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Edited by markt

The gearbox is a concern, but we will see what happens.

Stock the motor is 300 hp, I imagine I will be at about 350.

I am using the drive by wire system, I have the petitionometer in the front. I had to modify the frame and I added a crossbrace from motor mount to motor mount.

With any luck, I should have it running in July.

Jason

I've fixed all your pictures.

There's a section of the forum called 'forum info & help' and a pinned topic in there with a guide to posting pics.

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=474

Should be all you need to know, if you get stuck again give me a shout :thumbsup:

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

No ! not crazy in general, as it would only be crazy to use it in stock condition -with all that potential that an BMW V12 has to offer... .

Just try an search in old German car magazines, the M70 V12 was tuned by several factory's :thumbsup:

Hello, this looks very nice to me!!!!!

Really hope the gearbox will hold. I advice you to use Redline MT 90 gearboxoil.

Maybe you should oonsider the possibillity of using a limited slip diff for better handling the power?

all the best,

with kind regarDS,

with kind regarDS,

Harry Martens

www.ds-vitesse.com

Hi Harry,

Yes, I will be sending one of my Gearboxes to you in the next 6 months or so (in the winter) to have the limited slip put in.

Having one of the gearbox's done by you has been in my plan for some time.

jason

If you're gearbox holds up.... then I'm gonna be goin all out on my 1988!

YOU ARE A GOLDEN GOD!!! I love it when people have the sheer testicular fortitude to pull something like this off... CONGRATS!!!!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

I pulled into the post office one day and a lady was admiring my '87 turbo Esprit, hearing the exhaust note she asked me if it was a 16 cylinder... I didn't laugh and just replied it was a four cylinder and she did not believe me so I showed her the engine. She could not believe a four cylinder engine could make a sound like this.

Jason,

Please tell how you plan to keep this monster engine cooled. Oversized radiator will help but there is little breathing room in the back for cool air to enter and hot air to exit unless your plan is to install cooling fans on the engine covers to push the hot air down and out like the old carbie models... or reverse the direction to blow it up through the louver? I would blow it down and out, sucking it up and sending it out through the louvers might distort them.

Four banger Esprit is enough for me.

Cheers,

Robert Grener

Becket, MA USA

' 87 turbo Esprit {two slot bonnet}

Mark, you're in Medicine Hat, I have some family out there.

As far as keeping her cool, an oversize Rad will be the start, I may add an oil cooler later, but she is dry sumped (I will be testing the oil pump tomorrow) - so the oil cooler may not be necessary, as it will have more than 3 gallons of capacity and the experts have told me that with that much oil, a cooler won't be required. Only synthetic will be used.

I am also going to run some addatives in the coolant (Red Line water wetter or something like that).

I plan on having the exhaust system coated as well (ceramic coated) to keep temps down.

I will see how that works out, then go from there.

I will be adding a transmission oil cooler though. That will probably be the easiest thing I have done so far. Oh, no, now I just went and jinxed myself.

Crap.