Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Oil change - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Oil change

davegtst

Right i'm going to do an oil change very soon but LEW says i will need 6 litres for my SE. Is this correct as this will mean i have to buy 10 litres or 5 litres and a 1 litre top up. In peoples experience do you really need 6 litres?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll definitely need more than five liters, especialy if you're changing the filter as well. I'm fairly sure it says in the handbook 6L for a refill.

Martyn :unworthy:

Edited by martynv

I seem to recall it's more than 6, but, and the big but is how much you can drain, I some ideas for next time, firstly get the front higher than the back, you would be amazed how much the oil cooler retains. Second, I'm going to take the plugs out and spin the motor to see if I can pump more into the sump.

Change the oil filter it's cheap, and refill on the dipstick, if you haven't got all the old oil out and refill the sump capacity you will be overfull and have nasty spots on your driveway.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

The oil pump takes oil out of the sump and pumps it to the crank bearings, camshafts, turbo and piston squirt jets if you have them. It won't pump any oil into the sump.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Hi,

You have to remember the oil has to travel to the front of the car, across the front through two oil coolers then back again, hense the need for so much. My little Smart 700cc engine took 4 litres of oil when I renewed last weekend and that doesn't travel anywhere in the car, so the Lotus will need more. If you buy two 4 litre cans at least you have some for top up when it needs it.

Owen

When I bought mine it came in 4 litre bottles, so I bought two giving me eight. Enough spare for carrying in boot.

Gavman

Lotus Esprit Turbo Chargecooler SE 1991

So far I have done with about 5l plus one in top up ... and another couple of changes of 6l plus top ups. My first time I think I had the rear jacked way too much ... but on each time it's taken a fair bit of careful monitoring to get the oil in good zone. I guess for many of us it's second nature now, but the way the oil levels out and the length of the piping can make it a little confusing at first. In fact my initiation was thinking I overfilled, then finding I had underfilled a tad.

I can only buy my oil in 1l bottles ... so I tend to buy a case and have 3 bungeed into the boot for safety.