Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Break light constantly on - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Break light constantly on

The Brake light (right side instrument panel warning light) is constantly on. Prior owner said he had it checked out and nothing is wrong with the brakes but rather a sensor or elelectrical sensor is faulting. I can't see any sensor around the brakes. The brakes work very strongly and have new pads. I do see an electrical connection in the front boot under the brake booster. Anyone know if there is a sensor or electrical connection I should check?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The brakes light is also supposed to come on when the handbrake is on, switch is on the handbrake mechanism. My light is a bit temperamental, and does not always light up with the handbrake on.

The brakes light is also supposed to come on when the handbrake is on, switch is on the handbrake mechanism. My light is a bit temperamental, and does not always light up with the handbrake on.

Thanks, but it is not the handbrake. The handbrake uses another light that I believe says "handbrake".

If it is the handbrake sensor switch do you know where the sensor switch is and how to get to it? Thanks.

On my S2 there is a plate inside the sill near the front of the handbrake but on the side. I think 2 screws hold it on. Removing it gives access to the microswitch which operates the brake warning light. There is another warning light for low brake fluid level. This is operated by a float in the lid to the master cylinder.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

The brake warning light (also unless you have a separate handbrake light) warns of low brake fluid level, although the level may be OK the float switch may be faulty, try disconnecting the wires to the reservoir cap and have the hand brake off to see if the light goes out. If it doesn't then I'd have thought it has something to do with the handbrake switch, if yours is totally separate, then suspect a wiring fault. If it does go out, and has nothing to do with the handbrake position then get a new reservoir cap.

Andy

The brake warning light (also unless you have a separate handbrake light) warns of low brake fluid level, although the level may be OK the float switch may be faulty, try disconnecting the wires to the reservoir cap and have the hand brake off to see if the light goes out. If it doesn't then I'd have thought it has something to do with the handbrake switch, if yours is totally separate, then suspect a wiring fault. If it does go out, and has nothing to do with the handbrake position then get a new reservoir cap.

Andy

Very good idea Andy. Appreciate it. I'll give it a try. Kevin