Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Project Sport 500 - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Project Sport 500

Buddsy

As if you had smelled it. First start up is planned for tomorrow.

As I have promised I will post a sound sample and/or put a video in utube.

So hold your horses, matey

Stefan

Woohoo :D

Stefan : about the exhaust : is the diameter wide enough to blow 500 HP through ? (speaking about airflow, might be that the exhaust is the bottle neck now, but I might be wrong off course ... )

Edited by bzguy

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Hans

We know about this but how much the exhaust pipe needs to be adjusted can only be determined after some measurements once the car ran with

the one we have on it now.

I have no problem down from the Turbo. This is a 3" V Band exhaust

The bottleneck can only be the silencer and the end pipe.

We will see

post-1772-1237471512_thumb.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

Looking good... but I can

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Don't tempt me Mike :D

I am very receptive to these things :)

I will have a word with Steffen and Garry and see what they think

Thanks for showing

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

Hehehe.. We put a GT3582R onto a 2.0 litre Honda/Acura RSX! It's got a 4" intake as I recall... HUGE! This isn't the car I built.. but here's a picture of the same build: P1010342.jpg

And this engine puts down over 400whp on 91 octane.. stock internals!!?? I wouldn't have believed it myself.. untill we lit the tires up in four gears with an LSD!... You are gonna have a BLAST with that car putting down that kind of HP... Front Wheel drive just isn't the same as a Mid-Rear setup... I love the build on your car.. Can't wait to see it run, even if it will only be on youtube!

Edited by Mark T-C

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Spoke with Garry last night and he thinks Mike's turbo would be good for 600-700 HP.

But the lager turbo would need more time to spool up and therefore the drivability could suffer in lower RPMs

Well, we need to see first how the car performs with what we have and take it from there.

Mind if I cut in ?

yep - about right.

It was sized for a single turbo conversion on the V8 - but could work well with a higher boost 4-cylinder, especially since you are running with slightly higher capacity. The turbo would still be pretty efficient at a lower pressure ratio.

The turbos not going anywhere in a hurry ;-))

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Patience, Patience

Don't want to terrorise you with the sound of a first start up of a brand new engine :)

Once the babe runs smoothly, I will have something for the spoiled ears of this esteemed audience

Mind if I cut in ?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright gang,

The wait is over.

Here are the first 2 videos of the car running !

It runs smooth as silk, no funny noises, but we needed to be carefull as everything is new.

I guess the hardest thing for me is that I now need to drive it 1500 km to break it in, taking it

easy and shift no higher than 3500 rpm.

What we noticed though on the first test runs was that even with no fine tuning yet the wheels have a tendency to spin :)

Looks like a differential lock is the next mod to do :(

First test run :

exhaust sound sample:

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

Spot on mate :)

As the boys need to do tome tidying up yet on the engine bay etc, the hatch is not on yet.

They took the chance to video it on it's first real test run.

I just love that perspective as it give you a real rush watching the road dissapear

Mind if I cut in ?

I was very curious for this moment, it looks (and sounds) GORGEOUS !

Nice sound, sees to be running very smoothly even on first startup !

great job Stefan, curious as well on the follow up :)

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Sounds and looks great. I cant wait to see the full power test runs.

I think this is the thread is the answer to the question ....... can a 4-pot cut the mustard in todays bloated V8-V12 world?

B) I am loving it. B)

• Gold FFM

Stefan, will the car be ready for the *Easter-run* , or 1.Mai ...?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Thanks for all your positive responses, guys

I am more than ever convinced that, as Alex said, a 4 pot CAN cut the mustard. One can feel almost special having "just a 4 cyl" on today's 12 cyl catwalk !

G

Mind if I cut in ?

Positively Orgasmic!!!! I LOVE IT!!! Well done!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

It's the larini back end with the pipes set to the middle - sounds very similar if not identical to mine. The centre exits are spot on though, lots less back pressure than the 'wheelbarrow' pipe formation where one of them has to go 180 degrees back on itself.

Good effort ! :)

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Hans : I am using a external boost controller on this engine for this reason. This way we can adjust the boost

seperately from the ECU from the inside. The control unit will be mounted in the free space below the radio.

Johnathan : I have never heard a Larini exhaust live. The reason why I switched to this one is because of the

mechanial advantage. On my old exhaust the right side always viibrated off it's mountiing, due to the long leverage arm.

This one is lighter more compact and has a rock solid mounting.

And besides, it sounds ace.

Thanks Bodbon, thanks Talon

Mind if I cut in ?