Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Project Sport 500 - Page 9 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Project Sport 500

Günter

This is max consumption when I really push her hard.

I don't think this is alarming and I don't change the oil filter every time I add oil

The engine is so robust now and with the oil scraper baffles on the crank I have no worries at allcoffee.gif

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

did'nt meant to change the filter every time ..just 'exclusevly' based on normal timeline -as the oil is regularly changed via the 'consumption refill' anyway :rolleyes:

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

did'nt meant to change the filter every time ..just 'exclusevly' based on normal timeline -as the oil is regularly changed via the 'consumption refill' anyway :rolleyes:

Günter, are you German ?whistle.gif

Mind if I cut in ?

• Gold FFM

what ?

..you have seen my 918 engine prior to the rebuild ?1

- even as a professional person , If it comes to my own cars I'm fearless (still) in terms of 'car care' & maintenance. :rolleyes:

But I know that's not typical for an good "Kraftfahrer" :scooter:

• 7 months later...

At last, I have finally found a company that is caspable and willing to dyno my car properly. :animier:

They develop, manufacture and sell their dynos to tuning firms exclusively. Normally they do not accept end user requests for dynoing.

But the owner likes the Esprit so much that he invited my to a session, using their latest development.

Here is a link to GRIP, a german online car magazine which uses this dyno on various plus 700 hp super cars.

My Esprit will be used in another promo video of the company.

Feeling very lucky, indeed

I shall post my results here immediately after I have the readout.

Stay tuned

Cheers

Stefan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjxXqRL5gK8

company link

http://www.chassisdyno.com/

cheers

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

• Gold FFM

:thumbsup: I wish you luck

..let's hope he [she] does not 'blow out' his [her] life !

Hi Stefan,

Nice work on getting all that power from a 4 banger!!

I am thinking about getting an Esprit for restoration and would also like to uprate the engine (although not with quite so much power :blink: )

I am a british person living in Germany (Munich) and everyone I spoke to said no no, it will never get a TÜV. How did you get all the modifications past the TÜV? My german isn't very good so any answers from Internet searches have been difficult. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Nic.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

:thumbsup: I wish you luck

Thanks Günter, but she's covered B-)

..let's hope he [she] does not 'blow out' his [her] life !

Hi Stefan,

Nice work on getting all that power from a 4 banger!!

I am thinking about getting an Esprit for restoration and would also like to uprate the engine (although not with quite so much power :blink: )

I am a british person living in Germany (Munich) and everyone I spoke to said no no, it will never get a TÜV. How did you get all the modifications past the TÜV? My german isn't very good so any answers from Internet searches have been difficult. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Nic.

Nic

Since the Esprit is a rather exotic model amongst all the registered super car models here in Germany, the TÜV can't really verify if your car is modified or not. Lotus has not even required about a so called "Fahrzeugchlüssel" ( model key code ) when applying for a ABE ( Type approval ) here in Germany

The TÜV has generally nothing to compare your car with due to the rarity of the model.

One could try to have all engine mods blessed by the TÜV but this could take ages here in Germany, if at all. Besides there are TÜV sections which are more donnish than others.

I just had the problem of getting my Sport 350 magnesium wheels certified for the S4. They are larger than the original rims. In conjunction with my chosen tyre sizes the TÜV Hessen in Wiesbaden did not want to to it.

But the TÜV Saarland had no problem as long as I provided a certificate that my speedo is calibrated to compensate for the now larger wheel diameter.

It all boils down to the TÜV inspector thas sees your car.

As long as all the specs listed in your "Fahrzeugschein" (vehicle registration document) are verifiable, you get your TÜV and I have never seen a TÜV office that has dynoed a car just to see whether it has the HP listed or not. Especially no Esprit.

This car is, by numbers alone, a closed book to them.

Hope this helped

Stefan

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

Hi Stefan,

That is wonderful news!!! Thank you very much for the information. Project Esprit is go now!!! :thumbsup:

Nic.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

• Gold FFM

*..This car is, by numbers alone, a closed book to them...*

how true! :whistle: ..you have to :baby: them, and be gentle all the time

-it is all not a big problem, as long as the car does not look 'highly tuned'

Absolutely right Günter

Concentrate on the "inner values" when you tune your Esprit, as the outside is spectacular enough :scooter:

And besides, I guess all of us here are far away from pubescent hot hatch teenagers :lol:

Mind if I cut in ?

• Gold FFM

sometimes I wish I could be such a 'hot hatch teenager' ..especially if it is about those matching 'silly & dump' girls in the hot hatch car :lol:

with university background or not, I think every guy likes to see the :animier: of those *fast & furious* girls ..even if we are far away from 'bling bling tuning' or simple NOS-power

Indeed my boy racer days are long gone. The plan is to restore an S3, fit the S1 bumpers and rear lights and that will be it as far as the exterior. I like the classic look of the earlier cars but with the later underpinnings. Therefore, upgraded suspension, bigger brakes and a normally aspirated engine with fuel injection. Should keep it sweet looking but able to play with the Porsches on the Autobahn...up to a point anyway...I was playing with some wheel configurations too and curiously the Ford RS four spoke wheels seem to fit the car quite nicely.

But thats a long way in the future.....

sometimes I wish I could be such a 'hot hatch teenager' ..especially if it is about those matching 'silly & dump' girls in the hot hatch car :lol:

with university background or not, I think every guy likes to see the :animier: of those *fast & furious* girls ..even if we are far away from 'bling bling tuning' or simple NOS-power

Old wine - young women - fast cars : The 3 essentials in life :band:

Indeed my boy racer days are long gone. The plan is to restore an S3, fit the S1 bumpers and rear lights and that will be it as far as the exterior. I like the classic look of the earlier cars but with the later underpinnings. Therefore, upgraded suspension, bigger brakes and a normally aspirated engine with fuel injection. Should keep it sweet looking but able to play with the Porsches on the Autobahn...up to a point anyway...I was playing with some wheel configurations too and curiously the Ford RS four spoke wheels seem to fit the car quite nicely.

But thats a long way in the future.....

If you have a G car in mind to tune, it's even easier. If you are lucky you can obtain a H plaque which is reserved for historic cars, older than 25 years I believe

Mind if I cut in ?

• Gold FFM

to be exactly, for a German 'historic registration' it needs at least 30 years of age [date of first registration -of the car, not the model version] ...and you can only use additional tuning parts available in this time, legalized in the market for that car within the 30 years of use.

For real value keep it as original as possible, even if it means some signs of 'aging' ... contact *Classic-Data* for references and insurances and so on..

Thanks for the info Günter. The car I had in mind is from 1986 so the H plate (at the moment anyway) is irrelevant. Also the car is apparently in a really bad state and the interior has been badly "butchered" with Ford RS seats etc. It will never be original anyway.

Also, what is the purpose of an H plate? does it increase the value of the car for example?

• Gold FFM

more value

...as it means it is 'restored' at least to an good level, or mostly original without silly 'modifications' -plus : it is cheaper on the running cost (taxes, insurances) ..with no general mileage or 'term of use' limiting the usability. Bonus -you're allowed to drive in the regional 'emission control areas' in big city centers !!

On the *red-letters registration* (several cars in a collection run variable on one number-plate) you are normally (at least this what the law sais..) allowed only to use the car for demonstration, testing and car shows. What means you can't drive it on Holiday from Germany toward all across Europe. But the red-plate is now only available for collectors, with 'dealer-plates' slightly equal to this (same red lettering on the plate).

I had forgotten about the Umweltzonen. mmmmm... That's not so good. I had intended to fit the car with a Cat. Perhaps that will be enough to give it a green sticker. I think I should go next door to Dekra and speak to them

• Gold FFM

even if you fit a catalyst, it means in this case that is only an 'uncontrolled' one !?

..as the '85 fuel injection/engine control was not designed to handle an modern fuel-injection system (at least, this is my guess) ..with all its refinement. So you will not get an different emission-class 'number tag' in the car documents, identifying it as an Euro 1/2/3 or whatever... .

If you fit an modern,fully programmable engine-control, you will end up with homologation requirements to verify its control-quality. Do you think it is worth it to go this way :whistle:

That's why we say: keep it simple, without notable differences or modifications -even if the inspectors don't know much about the Esprit series. If it comes to emission classifications everyone of those guys needs to look closer!

Edited by Günter

• 6 years later...

Hiya John

Wow, that's a surprise. Someone actually asking about the Babe :-)

I finished it and she got sold to a real enthusiast in Belgium who will finish where I have left off.

Once we had our second daughter, I hardly drove her and also due the my workload in the company my days behind the wheel were counted.

If you PM me, I can send you the email of the buyer so you can follow up

It is really hard to combine work and pleasure if you are self employed with a family so eventually there was only one car left that could do it all.

Dropping the kids off at school and then switch to DYNAMIC :stuart:

IMG_9760.thumb.jpg.7ff0bc7eeb479db3248c395441ae7493.jpg

Edited by Stefan Ertler

Mind if I cut in ?

• 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
On 17/04/2018 at 04:06, Stefan Ertler said:

Hiya John

Wow, that's a surprise. Someone actually asking about the Babe 🙂

I finished it and she got sold to a real enthusiast in Belgium who will finish where I have left off.

Once we had our second daughter, I hardly drove her and also due the my workload in the company my days behind the wheel were counted.

If you PM me, I can send you the email of the buyer so you can follow up

It is really hard to combine work and pleasure if you are self employed with a family so eventually there was only one car left that could do it all.

Dropping the kids off at school and then switch to DYNAMIC :stuart:

Stefan,

Could you possibly post a full spec sheet for this engine? You know... all the features, modifications  w/supplier's and/or Brand names of different parts.

Danke

John

MrDangerUS

5 hours ago, MrDangerUS said:

Could you possibly post a full spec sheet for this engine? You know... all the features, modifications  w/supplier's and/or Brand names of different parts.

Danke

John

John

For all details, please contact

Garry Kemp, UK who built my engine

garrykemp@lineone.net

Ramspott & Brand, Germany who did the integration into my car

steffen@ramspott-brandt.de

Best

stefan

Mind if I cut in ?