Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
I'm caught by Murphy's law - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

I'm caught by Murphy's law

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

@Markus: :lol especially the Piston from Nb. 5 itself looks strange. Bud what makes me worry is that massive sealant all around the liners. Was that an "Viel hilft viel" from position of Auto-Becker D

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

well, Marcus - i have read that you failed on a liner reseal one time !? , so no jokes about my 'dump nut' working style. Even for me as an professional it is an "step by step" learning by doing. Note my DIY tools (it took me longer to pull the bend valves out [especially as there was not much room to compress the valve springs further and release the Collet's] -than to fabricate that tool -under 1hour for the tool, and the half day for all 16 valves ).

pictures called: *modern art*, *exhaust 8 -no broken seats/guides visible*, *inlet 7 -one broken valveguide*

BILD0311.JPGBILD0313.JPGBILD0315.JPG

Edited by G

• Gold FFM

some kind of 'industrial archeology of modern century'

BILD0320.JPGBILD0323.JPG

Edited by G

• Gold FFM

No wounder my friend, this "Ocean liner" was on a long way run (mostly in the wild east ).

I have some modifications for the engine bay/wheelhouse area in mind -with that i can cover the turbo surround area an protect it from dust and dirt in future...

Thanks for the updates Gunter, those rusty fixings sure are bad. I have found a few shockers on my car, I think most of these cars that are driven lots and exposed to the salt end up like this. I bet theres worse V8s out there rotting away. I am sure you will clean them up real good like new again :D

350.gifNo.23

• Gold FFM

with a bit luck i can pic up some parts on the way to Hethel. Bud for now it is mostly an 'take apart' of 'old rusted and worn crap'

And there are other thing to do at this car now. I have bought polybushes from R&B, fitted only the main bushes in rear (that saved my German 'MOT'). Now i can lift up all four corners and replace the front bushes also, try some powder coat options for wishbones and roll bar, replace the rusted tanks and the radiator. Ahh oh and there are three written exams left from last semester -so It's a lot of work !!

PS. if someone had an picture/JPG/ image file-scan of that mysterious "timing disk" send me :

weniger.rehbruecke@freenet.de

thanks!!

Wow its going to look great POR15 works wonders too additional to getting stuff powder coated. If it makes you feel better this is my worst find to date. Its scary to know half of the other UK Esprits on the road are suffering the same fate. I am surprised people arent fronting up how there discs just cracked and fell off!!!

Aprotor291thickness.jpg

As someone said to me they must have been used on a taxi working in a salt mine :D

On the up side Gunter keep all your old parts like your valves old brackets etc. I am going to get inspired make some something arty out of my box of rusty bolts collected so far. You could make some cool garden ornaments or glass coffee table just for record :sofa:

350.gifNo.23

• Gold FFM

@Kylie: right, thats what i have thought as i have seen the valves. one on top, three as the base some weld spots and an pin into the single valve on top . And some chrome finish -thats an candle light holder !!

@Marcus: i bet you know that it is possible for civilians to drive Russian tanks in my region!? *Kai Uwe Abel* has got that as an birthday present, bud feared it for now...

• Gold FFM

here you can see what happened with my rusty bids an pieces, while i was in the south of England to drink some beer with friends :scared: :

BILD0363.JPG

the citric acid did its work, the only thing i have done afterwards was brush it in soap water (to neutralize the acid)

And thank to *superdavelotus* and Mike Sekinger, i managed to met Pam D. east of London. So I've got some of the parts now ...

BILD0364.JPG

Edited by G

• Gold FFM

picture of the day:

BILD0368.JPG

the workshop book refers to an valve guide insertion overhang of 8.8-9mm

Inlet valve guide is 43mm long, so an measured overhang of 34.2mm with the guide fitted in the handmade calibration-/insertion tool should be good enough... .

• Gold FFM

not now!

...passed an written test with grade '2' today, bud there are more to come...

So the fitments of valves (as long as i can get some) and the one valve guide can start in October,maybe.

What i can't say by now is: Would it be an good plan to open the whole engine -measure all parts (piston,liners, piston rings, crankshaft and so on) with the risk to discover more problems(worn bearings/shells etc.). Or should i not touch that functioning system and replace only the broken parts in LH head.

• Gold FFM

thats right (especially as i have some 'free' time in October -until the other parts [valves, gaskets, hydraulic-tappets] are in my hand).

Interesting is the setting for the intermediate drive chain. I haven't the clamp & brackets for that.

And much more important: I don't know what the "timing disk" looks like !

All in all it is nothing else than it was in the truck engines i had worked on. Bud much smaller dimensions (a bit to small for an 'chunk' type of guy..)

lets see how it goes -i will post pictures from every step ..

• Gold FFM

Freek: that's fantastic , an simple copy&paste&print&glue on cardboard :P

so it looks like nothing special to me - i have just to add the right marks ( :wub: as i can simply copy an mirror-image on top of the other half..)

looks like an long winter in the garage now -happy :santa: "screwing" for all

• Gold FFM
BILD0378.JPG

• Gold FFM

I'm in great panic Kylie. Only some days left for the next two of that.... . Not that i wouldn't know the themes or need more skills for it - it's my style (I'm not good minded in such situations..)

Bud back to topic: i have the right paste (those 'valve grinding Aluminum oxides powder', in an oily grease.. ) to refresh the valve seat surface of the older valves, and I've got some drills to change the bore-diameter of the valve guide after it is fit new. What i not have is the tool to ream it right. As the other valves have also quiete old valve guides i will try it without [possibly under use of 1000grade grinding paper...] . (OK, thats against the mechanics honour ,i know i know..)

Anyway, an good start into the next semester is more important in the moment... .

Pictures as soo as i have some to show

(PS. @Kylie: hope the mentioned LotusBuzz idea does work [you've got the PM !?])

• Gold FFM

'hard work' - :P