Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Custom Twin-Chargecooler setup

Well... I haven't gotten the car apart yet to install the parts, however, I do recognize the situation. I won't be using the original cast boost pipes, I'll be using a silicone 90 to aluminum pipe. My biggest concern at the moment is throttle body's and keeping the engine balanced. I had originally thought that the throttle bodies were flowing to their respective cylinders... but now I recognize I was incorrect, so I've got to criss-cross the pipes over the trasmission to make it work. I may be able to make it work another way, but untill I have the pipes in my hand... speculation will only frustrate me.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I received a couple of more packages... One was an HKS SSQV (we already have one that was for the S4) and, because I am going to be doing so many AN fittings, I thought I had better pick up some AN wrenches... MAN ARE THEY PRETTY!!!

DSCF1620.jpg

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Lucky for me... they are made of aluminum.... so... they aren't heavy enough to knock me out... lol!

• Gold FFM

made from aluminum, and with fabricated brake points on the open ends -so what type of use is specified for them !?

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

They are ONLY for -AN fitting use. The idea is that they are made of a softer material than the -AN fittings so that you don't damage the fittings. They are also larger than a normal wrench, as the anodization of the -AN fittings adds a couple of thousandths of an inch to the size of the fitting and normal wrenches are hard to fit onto the fittings without scoring them.

• Gold FFM

so it's only for "soft force" fittings ! -thats OK :)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

hehehe.. There is actually a built in "punch point" in each fitting so that if the fitting is over tightened.. you can remove it with a hammer and a punch.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update: I have now received the 3 core aluminum rad and fans... as well as the transmission gaskets for when we swap the LSD over to the V8 from the S4.

Well... As anticipated... here is the rad:

DSCF0003.jpg

Yes... It's extremely light... I will weigh it later and let y'all know what it weighs.

That looks like the upgrade rad. from Viking Motorsports.

Peter is absolutely right regarding the question of weight. The standard rad. is very low on volume being such a small core. The advantage is more to do with efficiency vs. weight saving.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Mike is very right... the weight is almost irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but we should do it anyway, for fun. So, Bibs... if you could weigh a rad with water in it... that would be good... (use a potato to block the other end of the rad... they work surprisingly well.)

LOL!!! Yes he would... but when it's a matter of 1-2 lbs either way and the cooling effects for the engine are increased that much more so that the motor can run harder.... it's excusable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... Last night we took the RSX for it's virgin run... GOOD SWEET LORD IS THAT THING IS RIDICULOUS!!!! Dodgy, myself, Garry and others have been building it for the past couple of months.... I need to do some extra tuning to the ecu on sunday, but once that's done, we can pull the V8 in. I would like to say though... that the RSX lit the tires up, with an LSD, through 4 gears in a matter of about 5-10 seconds... it just tacks out instantly in every bloody gear! I dare say that we've built the fastest front wheel drive car in Medicine Hat!

Today, a couple of friends (including Dave) and I cleaned up the shop from the Acura Project... And I tried to cure some of the knock issues in the Acura... but we only had an hour of tuning time and we didn't get enough done to the map to really call it a "tune". We also managed to put the V8 up on Jack stands and drain the coolant so that we can pull the transmission next weekend for the LSD swap.

Today we finally got properly started on the V8 project. We removed the radiator and installed the new Aluminum rad into the rad support. We also mostly removed the transmission... we've still got to pull the clutch before we can finish pulling the transmission though.

We also managed to run the -12AN stainless steel braided lines for the intercooler system through the chassis.

Here's some shots from the days activities.

Here's me removing a couple of coolant lines:

DSCN1474.jpg

And this is a shot after we removed the lip spoiler etc..

DSCN1475.jpg

A shot of the car after we removed the bottom half of the bumper:

DSCN1477.jpg

Had to leave the jack under the rad mount in order to remove the rest of the bolts without the risk of a crash...

DSCN1480.jpg

And... the Rad out... Dave has more pics but they are on his phone... hopefully he'll post them soon..

DSCN1481.jpg

All in all.. it was a good day! And... Running the coolant lines... we had to bore out the two extra holes in the front of the chassis in order to get the hoses to fit. And... there's only one way to run the lines... from the gearshift location. We removed the gearshift apparatus completely and then fished the line through the front and then through the back. There is a chassis divider that is very hard to get through just ahead of the shift box... so you can't get the hose through from the other side as it is too high up.