Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
[WANTED] headlamp motor - Wanted - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

[WANTED] headlamp motor

neil e

Hi all

Well dispite doing a search couldnt find what I was looking for.

Well it seems my washer bottle has been leaking straight onto the drivers side motor and totally ruined it.

Any body know where i can get it repaired as I hear its no longer available.

Thanks

Neil

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Neil,

I have the same problem but I did manage to breath some life into it briefly by opening it up, drying it out and remaking the contacts to the brushes. I think it needs a bit more use to bed the brushes in again. However if you have any success with a cheap replacement I would be very interested.

cheers

-Chris

Hi all

Well dispite doing a search couldnt find what I was looking for.

Well it seems my washer bottle has been leaking straight onto the drivers side motor and totally ruined it.

Any body know where i can get it repaired as I hear its no longer available.

Thanks

Neil

If you open it you might be lucky with a clean, rust descale and reassembly. Alos look closely where it seals and note there is a small opening. I used a dab of silicon to close it as well as around the rest of the seal. Hopefully that will keep any water or moisture out in future.

DanR

Thanks for your replys guys.

Well I have had the washer bottle off and tested for leaks and sealed it up. So hopefully I will have sorted one problem.

I have contacted several yanks off ebay as i feel the cost of shipping will far outway the purchase price.

I will let you know how I get on.

cheers

Neil

Hi Neil,

Did you get one from the US on ebay?

What do you plan on doing with your old unit if the new one works out? I would be interested in it to see if I could make one good one out of two rough ones (although I suspect the failure mode is very similar). :innocent:

cheers

-Chris

I re-built quite a few of these last year for Espritism customers. The are two main faults with motors that ave suffered water ingress 1) rusting of the rear thrust bearing 2) failure of the rivet that holds the carbon brush braided wire to the anchor plate. When you care fully pull the motor apart take a look for a crusty thrust washer on the rear of the main spindle. Almost definitely it will be seized. I found new thrust bearings of the correct size in stainless/brass on e-bay, for use in model helicopters! Get yourself some of these thrust bearings, you WILL need them. With the brushes there are not so many options. Unless SJ's kit has replacements included, then you need to re-use the old ones. I had quotations for getting new brushes made, but it was going to cost

I re-built quite a few of these last year for Espritism customers. The are two main faults with motors that ave suffered water ingress 1) rusting of the rear thrust bearing 2) failure of the rivet that holds the carbon brush braided wire to the anchor plate. When you care fully pull the motor apart take a look for a crusty thrust washer on the rear of the main spindle. Almost definitely it will be seized. I found new thrust bearings of the correct size in stainless/brass on e-bay, for use in model helicopters! Get yourself some of these thrust bearings, you WILL need them. With the brushes there are not so many options. Unless SJ's kit has replacements included, then you need to re-use the old ones. I had quotations for getting new brushes made, but it was going to cost

Chris,

Wish I could help more but I am 6000 miles away from my Esprit and a pack of the bearings in question. I have checked back through my e-bay purchases, but of course this one was more than 1 year ago and the details dissapear after 3 months.

If you measure the shaft dia, this will give you the inside dimension. However corroded your bearing is you should be able to take meaurement of the outside dimension. The thickness of the origional was about 3mm I think, but the replacement ones I got where closer to 4mm but where totally fine (the end adjuster can more than compensate).

I have done a search on e-bay for helicopter thrust bearings and got several results. Not sure if these are the correct dimensions though, but they look/sound about right from memory.

One other point worth mentioning is that the push rod bearings that connect the motor to the pod also seize or go very sloppy. These are a standard size (M6 female rod ends I think) and are freely available on e-bay. Its worth replacing these at the same time.

Good luck

Malc

Good luck

Malc

Edited by Malc Holmes

Hi All

I now have a working headlight. :welcome:

I bought one from US ebay. The item was for a 1998 Trans Am. It took less than a week to arrive. Total cost

Edited by neil 12ne

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info. I have 'borrowed' one of a friends car (a 96 V8 which he hasn't used for about 2yrs, black with magnolia hide, scruffy car but would probably take a silly offer - approx 24k miles!). I took his passenger side since it looked brand new and swapped the motor into mine. I will get one off ebay and just back fill his car with the result. I took some pictures of a good and bad motor in bits but I have limited time to get them uploaded. FYI the bearing at the back end of the motor is approx 3mm thick (when the two washers and the open ball race are together) has an OD of 15mm and ID of 8mm.

Many thanks to all for information.

cheers

-Chris

To hold the brushes back, simply loop a bit of thread around the wire where it comes out of the side of each brush, pull brush against spring then hold with a thumb on the case and repeat. Once the motor is dropped in, let go and recover the thread. Very quick way of getting the motors swapped!

Tim B

Look closely at Simon's photo. There's an inverted U and that's where the water dribbles in from the light opening. Put a dab of silicone there to seal it and likewise on the main seal and hopefully there'll be no further rust problems.

DanR

• 4 weeks later...