Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
AEG First Autumn Run - Page 3 - UK - East Anglia - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

AEG First Autumn Run

OwenGT3

:beer:

1.Owen & Tracy - Esprit GT3

2.Andy C - G Esprit Turbo

3.James - ? Is it gonna be the Red one?

4.Simonf - Esprit Turbo

5.Dave F - SE Turbo

6.Graeme - Stevens Esprit Turbo

7.KCB - Elise mk1 (SELOC - Karen & Paul)

8.ShaunM - M100 S2 (LEC)

9.Freddie - SE Turbo Highwing

10.Gerry & Sue - Esprit S4s (EALC)

11.DaveT from LEC/EALC/JAFADI in a Steel Blue M100 Elan

12.Lawrence5 135R (SELOC)

13.Steve (SELOC) maybe in his Esprit V8 :-D

14.bobsan Elise S2 (SELOC) tempted, very, all about the weather really

15.nigelayres (SELOC) Weather looks promising!

16.forge Europa S (SELOC) will join you if its dry!

17.Firenze Elise S2 (SELOC) Should be there

18.nigelayres Elise 135R - Elise Sport 160 (SELOC)

19.Davy Eds - in my other M100 Elan :)

Kimbers - Maybe? - Clean it Saturday and attend this run Sunday, might be your last chance for a blast in her.

Edited by DaveT

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit sore but that helps with the redness...........

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Hi All,

Just like to thank all who attended todays coastal run which was a great day out. We had a good turn out from AEG. LEC and SELOC, I think a few more of these joint forum runs should be planned, we even had a guys come all the way from Bedford and London!

The roads weren't that bad for traffic, the occasional hold up behind a Sunday driver, or the other problem being able to see through the blue smoke cloud if you happen to get behind Simonf! :) Although even with the problems Simon had, he was with us until the end, did you notice the looks we were getting as we travelled through the city Simon & Andy?

The pub suggested by a SELOC member was a very nice and friendly pub, and ideal for the pit stop. Although the route did take a detour as some decided to go to North Walsham and missed the Bacton turn off, we all arrived roughly the same time at Cromer Cliffs, parking in a nice line up.

We all then headed off down to the town to the Chippy, then a walk along the pier, then back into town for an ice cream, then headed back to the cars.

The journey home some of us went on to Holt and then back to Norwich via the Norwich-Holt road, only to find Horsford road closed so we cut across to the Cromer road, just coming in behind some who had headed back to Norwich via Alysham-Cromer road.

I think everyone enjoyed the day from what I could tell, so let's hope this can happen again some time, thanks. I think we had 16 Lotus cars in the end, good turn out.

Owen

Coastal-Hoon20.jpg

Coastal-Hoon21.jpg

Coastal-Hoon16.jpg

Coastal-Hoon18.jpg

Coastal-Hoon13.jpg

Coastal-Hoon26.jpg

Coastal-Hoon12.jpg

Coastal-Hoon05.jpg

Coastal-Hoon04.jpg

Coastal-Hoon02.jpg

Coastal-Hoon07.jpg

Edited by OwenGT3

A great day for some of us (Simon's not had a great day thanks to car trouble), even though I had a diminished route to manage to catch up (I went via the Thorpe end turn through Rackheath, Wroxham and out to Bacton (had to stop, find out where you were on the route to be able to catch up.

My minor issues were the bolt that holds the gear selector shaft with the translator to the internal gear selector shaft coming out, then having been home and fixed that the anchor rod end for the translator decided to come out, but that was fixed at the pub.

I couldn't comment on the pub, I didn't get to see inside it.

Yes Owen I noticed a few looks, but not sure if it was annoyance at the noise.

We just pulled a few bits off SimonF's car. we have oil in the plenum (so suspect turbo, but until we know if there is oil before the turbo cannot be sure), the leak down test on no 2 & 3 were OK, but 1 & 4 were not good, with at least one inlet valve having insufficient clearance. So it looks like a winter project is on the way.

Andy

Some more pics from the day. Great to see James and Nifty out in the Esprits.

Coastal-Hoon25.jpg

Coastal-Hoon24.jpg

Coastal-Hoon23.jpg

Coastal-Hoon17.jpg

Coastal-Hoon14.jpg

Coastal-Hoon11.jpg

Coastal-Hoon08.jpg

Coastal-Hoon09.jpg

Coastal-Hoon06.jpg

Coastal-Hoon03.jpg

Coastal-Hoon01.jpg

Sounds like a ground up rebuild for Simon's engine then, but at least he will know it 'should' be alright after that.

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3

Owen,

Thanks for organising a great day out :)

Even with reduced pace due to slipping clutch and dodgy gearchange I was seeing oil pressure drops in some of the corners when Simon, Andy and I took the scenic way back to Norwich.

Think I might be tempted to dry sump the engine if I rebuild it.

Did Simon mention his "Oh sh*t I'm not going to make the corner" moment to you ?

Fortunately for him there was a track going straight on ... I thought he'd decided to pull in to check his oil level, though I did wonder why he needed to lock his brakes up :beer::wine:

Simon,

Apologies for the oil filler cap gaff ... I wasn't the only one who miseed it though, guvnor !!

That was a cracking road, albeit a little tight and bumpy, going back toiwards Aylsham/North Walsham. Glad I didn't have the 7 out because I'd never have kept the wheels on the floor !!

Great run, cheers mate.

Keep off the straight and narrow

Good call Owen! B)

Was a good day, especially trailing smokin' Simon :beer: cough cough.

Good turn out, nice to see James in the Esprit, glad Andy didn't give up too!

Really enjoyed the bit from Holt down, tailing the Europa S with Shaun and Dave in the other Elans behind me, passing everything we came up behind. Caught you guys just coming up to the road closure. You went left, we went right towards the A140 and Wensum, and then was on the A11 approaching the Garboldisham junction when Nifty came past and dived off!

I covered 250 miles today - she might look a bit tatty but as a daily driver, with nearly 125k on the clock, she ain't doing bad.

Bring on the sequel :)

Dave.

And he organised for good weather :)

Owen's obviously got friends in high places !

Edited by Nifty

Did Simon mention his "Oh sh*t I'm not going to make the corner" moment to you ?.....

Apologies for the oil filler cap gaff ... I wasn't the only one who miseed it though, guvnor !!.........

That was a cracking road, albeit a little tight and bumpy, going back toiwards Aylsham/North Walsham. Glad I didn't have the 7 out because I'd never have kept the wheels on the floor !!

I had been keeping a reasonable distance behind you so as to keep out of the smoke trail, so as soon as I noticed Simon turn off the road in a hurry I assumed the engine had a real issue and he'd decided to stop to sort it, little did I know it was the under steer issue. At least there was a track to go on.

I must confess, I didn't notice the oil filler cap wasn't on when I was watching you put the cover on.

What's the betting, if you were in the Landy you'd have complained the Esprits were going too slow????

Glad you could make it Nifty, and glad you could make it with the Esprit.

And since I forgot to post in my previous one.

Great to meet a nice group of owners, drivers and passengers.

Hope you all had a good laugh about the reliability of my car and the orange overalls, but it shows the Turbo Esprit drivers were determined to keep going.

Andy

You all complain about my smoke, but i couldn't smell anything! (unless i put the car in reverse!!) I had a lovelly day and enjoyed everyones company.

I am sorry to say it looks like my smoke problem is pretty terminal! And if i am honest i don't know if i have the energy to take the engine out AGAIN right now! So i might see if i can sell it as it is or wait until i have some money, do it up and then trade in for something a little less fragile!!

REHABS FOR QUITTERS!!

What is "terminal" about it Simon ?

Sorry that I couldnt make it yesterday guys, went to start the car up and the battery was completely knackered, wouldnt even take a charge from the jump leads, so that was the final nail in the coffin.

Hope everyone had a good time, judging by the pictures posted it was a good turn out, lets hope i can make the next meet.

............Series................ :sofa:

We haven't done a full diagnosis, but.....

Compression test not yet complete, however leak down test gave (0% = better than possible, 100% = piston holed in a big way), 90%, 30% 25% 70%. If the readings were inverted I'd say head gasket failure between 2 & 3, but 2 & 3 are the better cylinders.

There's a lot of oil in the plenum and output of the turbo, this could be coming from oil pushed (crank case compression) through the breather, into the filter and through the turbo, or it could be just the turbo. However if it was just the turbo, why would 1 & 4 read so poorly on the leak down tests?

We did find one of the inlet valves had insufficient clearance, so that could explain the poor leak down result on one cylinder, but light was against us, so we couldn't do a proper diagnosis.

It is looking as though a cylinder head off inspection is needed.

Thanks all for a great day of driving with other Lotus owners. I hope that those with any problems managed to get home okay.

BTW the diversion at Horsford was due to a woman smashing her people carrier into a house at estimated 70mph in a 30 zone at 3am (with 2 kids on board). A friend on facebook had put a picture up yesterday afternoon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77938658@N00/...178187394/show/

It was a great day and looking forward to the next trip.