Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Fan fail, oil pressure, handbrake lights and all gauges problem - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Fan fail, oil pressure, handbrake lights and all gauges problem

davegtst

I've just fitted an alarm which works fine and i don't think the wiring has anything to do with the problem i have now. Everything was working fine until i had to remove the binnicle. When i reconected the wiring the fan fail, handbrake and oil pressure lights stayed on and won't go off. After a while looking for the fault i think i have shorted a wire to ground and now none of the gauges or dashlights work (the switches do work). I've searched everywhere for the fuse but can't find any blown ones anywhere. Can anyone help please? I'm tearing my hair out over this bloody wiring. :dizzy:

Forgot to say it runs fine but the cel is lit.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my Binnacle off recently and I don't recall any fuses in the Binnacle itself. Have you tried un-pluging and re-pluging the cables into the Binnacle itself, maybe something hasn't mated properly and you've lost an earth somewhere and check for any traped / crimped cables around the Binnacle mounting bolts. I haven't got the wiring diagram with me here but I assume the failed instruments indicates a problem with the voltage stabiliser assuming one is used on the Esprit

Martyn

:dizzy:

I was just about to ask myself.....

This is what my car looks like everytime I drive it!! Levels are fine by the way! Does yours look like this?

PHHoon007.jpg

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Suspected Starter motor drain issue apparantly.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Mine's definatly not that, sounds odd that a starter could cause this fault. Anyway mine is completly dead, there must be a fue somewhere for it but i've searched high and low and can't find a thing.

Also, when the gauges/lights all stopped working there seemed to be a sort of clunk sound the i think came from under a plastic panel on the LHS of the front boot. I've never heard anything from round there before but could it be related?

It does sound like some sort of drain on the power. Are you sure the clunk isn't the lights going up and down when you try and start it?

It's fixed! :santa: Turns out the warning light module needs to have a cranking live to switch the lights off. Checked mine and there was nothing, probably due to the starter circit being cut for the immobiliser. I gave it a cranking live and it all works perfectly again.

Kimbers, check pin 3 on the warning light module (green under front bonnet with a white and red tracer wire) to see if you have a cranking live. If not do what i did and your problems will be solved.

Once again thanks Keith, without the info you gave me i probably woukld never found the fault. :wub:

Say what to who now?

Try Engleeze Pleeze.....

OK really easy version for you.

Open the front hood and find the relays, you're looking for a green one with 'tell tale module' or something like that on it. Remove this. If you look underneath the relay you should see the pin numbers next to the pins.

Now lift up the plunger on the fuel cut off switch in the boot fuze compartment.

Start the car and let it cut out.

Put the red wire of a voltmeter in the socket that corresponds to pin 3 on the relay.

Put the black wire of your voltmeter to a good earth (door earth strap is good)

Turn the voltmeter to 'volts dc'

Turn the key so the car cranks but doesn't fire and look at what the voltmeter says. It should have cranking voltage (9 - 11 volts).

If there is no voltage at the pin 3 socket take it to a garage and get them to put a wire from this pin to the ignition switch starter terminal.

If there is voltage there i haven't got a clue what the fault is and will have to have another look.

How about that, easy enough?

I've just fitted an alarm which works fine and i don't think the wiring has anything to do with the problem i have now.

An old electrician mate of mine gave me this pearl of wisdom... "If you can't figure out what's causing the problem, go directly to the last modification made" :welcome: