Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
JPS World Champion Esprit - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

JPS World Champion Esprit

C43

Hi

my brother is looking at a World Champion JPS S2 Esprit on ebay. It is number 79. I was wondering if anyone on this site knows the car in question of if there is anything particular to look out for on these.

I have owned an S4 so know all about rusted fuel tanks, I had both go. I also know that the chassis on the early cars can rust out. Is there any other problem areas.

cheers

C43

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being an S2 I'm guessing it won't have a galvanisd chassis so that's somthing to take into consideration when checking it over as it could be well rotten. Although if someone else could confirm this I'd feel a lot more confident of my answer.

If he does get it, if the fuel pipes and carbs haven't recently been overhauled I'd recommend it as we've lost too many cars recently due to these issues... Once its burning it just keeps going....!!

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Just confirming as an S2 owner that the chassis was non galvanised from the factory. As already said the UJs are a weaker point, but not too difficult to change. With the JPS cars it's the special gold trim parts that are impossible to source (seats, interior waist trim, gold badges etc), so I'd give those areas a higher level of significance than with other cars.

The difficult part of the chassis to check is at the front, on the upper surface just underneath where the bodyshell sits. You can't see it at all. Only way really is to hit it with a hammer and listen for the sounds you get. A sound chassis will give a "ring" whereas one that's corroded won't. Also check the chassis tube at the rear at it's closest point to the exhaust/exhaust manifold. Common corrosion area for the chassis.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Thanks for the feedback guys, very helpful. One of the reasons my brother is interested in this one is that it is number 79 which is obviously the classic Andretti GP winning car number, silly I know but anyway.

A friend at work has an early turbo so at least I can have a quick drive of this and get back into the feeling of Esprits. I used to have a NA Stevens car and then a lovely black S4, reg CNC. I sold it when my children arrived but saw it recently driving down the A40. It was a big surprise as I was telling my children about this lovely black car I used to own and suddenly there it was driving in front of me, my little ones could not understand why I was so excited. Good to see it on the road as I put a lot of love into that car. Unfortunately my wife had already spoken to the little ones about Lotus cars as when I told them I was looking to buy another Lotus the said that if I did we would not have enough money to eat and that lotus stood for 'lots of trouble.... Not bad for two 5 year olds.

Anyway I now own a black S2 Europa. In dark colour with low ride heights they look great. I have done a few tweaks on it and have gone round the Ring and Donnington, both of which were great. If anyone wants a new Lotus then give the Europa a drive. More civilized than an Elise and not so in your face as an Exige but still plenty quick enough to see of annoying bikers.

cheers

C43.

• 2 weeks later...

If that Gold S2 on Ebay is as clean and in as good condition underneath as on top it loos like a real investment. Anybody know any more about it? might go and have a look just out of curiosity. Now where is the phone number of that clinic in India that buys spare organs?

I've considered this Gold S2. I can only see one fault : that damn sunroof ! And one problem for me (else i would have already bought it) it's RHD.

But UK guys, you should get that one, even the "reflector" paint on the wheels is stunning.