Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
bit more power? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

bit more power?

red vtec

I currently have a 1988 Turbo this is supposidly 215bhp although I should think it has dropped a bit in 20 years. What can I do to get a bit more power? As 215bhp is not a lot by todays standards. I don't want to go stupid.

I was thinking K&N filter, free flowing exhaust, is there much else I can do? don't really want to go the charge cooler route as I may as well get an SE if I do that.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

I assume its a carbed turbo, right ?

If so, then you have to go the classic route.

What I would do is the following:

- check the compression first. This should be perfect. If not I would first get the engine overhauled.

- check the valve clearance and adjust that to specs.

- then K&N-filter and free flow exhaust

- as a next step I would up max boost around +0.2 bar and of course you have to check the mixture strength. If it gets too lean at higher boost you should have the carbs rejetted (smaller corrrection jets and maybe bigger main jets)

If all this is done properly you should see at least 250Hp.

Cheers

Marcus

Edited by Paula&Marcus

Marcus

Chris

I will follow what Marcus has suggested and please put the car on the dyno for reference on HP I am sure you will be surprised on what you find.

I have done the same on a later model and I found 203hp at the wheels

After all upgrades done we improved the car by 40%. for more info regarding the project car see www.lotusesprit.com.au and how I went about it.

Edited by greekmixS4

Thanks for all the help I will have a look into this

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"