Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Distributor issues of carb-turbo (1988) - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Distributor issues of carb-turbo (1988)

renckensj2

I had the feeling that my Esprit Turbo from 1988 had less power then initially and even after a replacement of the cam belt at the Lotus dealer the problem was not eliminated however the ignition was re-adjusted.

I started searching for the reason and I discovered the following:

The static advance was 10

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I you have it back to a combination vacuum and mechanical advance you could have the advance curve checked on a distributor machine and adjust it if need be. Finding the correct one might get expensive.

Good luck,

Jeff

www.espritturbo.com

Hi Jos,

my Esprit has an 88 carb turbo installed in an 83 G Esprit and it is running with the old dizzy, it is a 43type with no vacuum advance. Setpoint for mine is 12

Website with information and pictures PBB St Tropez convertible Esprit:

http://www.lotusespritconvertible.de/

Thanks Rolf,

I agree with you: it is indeed better to have no vacuum advance then no centrifugal advance (as it was in my case) . I was really amased about the big difference in power while I was changing the ignition advance. The reason is because it takes some time before the burning (combustion) reaches the maximum power and as such the ignition has to be advanced in order to reach the maximum power in the cylinder at the right moment i.e. when the piston goes down. I could easyly test this with my old distributor (which had by surprise no centrifugal advance).

Of course the advance is also required to make sure that the gas-air mixture is not burning anymore when the outlet valves are opened, this to avoid damage of the valves.

Jos

• 6 years later...