Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Iridium Spark Plugs - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Iridium Spark Plugs

CarlC

Just wondered if many of you have swapped out the standard plugs for Iridium Spark plugs?

Given the fairly cheap price, potential fuel saving :huh: and increase in response is it worth upgrading?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use them in my Esprit.

long life is the measurable benifit.

combustion chamber dynamics is still

more art than science, so believing that a spark

a couple of thousandths longer in length

increases performance is really up to

the individual.

Edited by ragingfool35

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

If it makes you happy to spend a ton of money on spark plugs buy them! :)

Every couple of years a new miracle sparkplug is launched :(

Remember the Splitfire?

In some of my old car magazines from the 1930s, you can see the same con job in action even then! :huh:

I use the NGK s in mine :(

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Well thats seems fairly conclusive. Apart from perhaps lasting longer than standard plugs there appears to be no one shouting up for the iridium plugs.

Also given the cost and amount of miles I get through - This sounds like

• 3 weeks later...

I have had them for years install and forget about them. If plan on modding the car then it will make a bigger difference with more air and fuel. THere was tests done years ago and they saw 3-5 hp from that alone with the iridiums.

Just wondered if many of you have swapped out the standard plugs for Iridium Spark plugs?

Given the fairly cheap price, potential fuel saving :rolleyes: and increase in response is it worth upgrading?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have had them for years install and forget about them. If plan on modding the car then it will make a bigger difference with more air and fuel. THere was tests done years ago and they saw 3-5 hp from that alone with the iridiums.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At last some one backing the Iridum plugs ! :D

Cheers Lew, you seem to be a lonley voice at present. If I hadnt got all new plugs at a recent full service I probably would have given them a go. It would have been good to try them out and report back to see if i could feel any difference.

At last some one backing the Iridum plugs !  :D

Cheers Lew, you seem to be a lonley voice at present. If I hadnt got all new plugs at a recent full service I probably would have given them a go. It would have been good to try them out and report back to see if i could feel any difference.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I run Denso IW22's in my 90SE (one step colder than the stock heat range), and IK20's in my Audi S4 (stock car, stock heat range). The direct replacement for the NGK BPR6EKN's are IW20's from Denso.

I've never been a big fan of multiple tipped plugs, so I went with the Densos.

As far as a feeling a difference between plugs, I really doubt it. The Densos are just more easily available for me in the correct heat ranges I need.

fwiw-

Craig

90SE

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence." - George Washington

Given the fairly cheap price, potential fuel saving :D and increase in response is it worth upgrading?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rolleyes:I work at MSD Ignition! If your going to run some of MSD Ignition's Distributorless coils, it would be a good idea to run these plugs IW22 ,which are a little colder plug recommendation,since the MSD Coils produce around 45,000 volts. The IW22 Iridium plugs have a high melting point. As far as producing more power,we haven't seen an increase in horse power on the dynos with any spark plug. But they are good plugs,if you can afford the price :D .

My car is 400HP and 450TQ right now and I would say the plugs are uneventful..and that is good thing as I run more air and fuel...boost is stock right now. Car starts up after every winter quickly and I check them on occasion for gappage and nothing changes...last pair I hope to buy. My Saab runs through plus every 25K and I would swithc to the Iridiums in them as well...

Lew

:rolleyes:I work at MSD Ignition! If your going to run some of MSD Ignition's Distributorless coils, it would be a good idea to run these plugs IW22 ,which are a little colder plug recommendation,since the MSD Coils produce around 45,000 volts. The IW22 Iridium plugs have a high melting point. As far as producing more power,we haven't seen an increase in horse power on the dynos with any spark plug. But they are good plugs,if you can afford the price :D .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 month later...