Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
More reasons to buy a Land Rover - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

More reasons to buy a Land Rover

Can't find any pics - I think they're on another memory stick somewhere - but my D3 was excellent in the dry snow we had in December, even up up 6 - 8 '' deep with 2' drifts (you just bash through). Wet snow - completely rubbish. Just the laws of physics I guess. Same applies to more general off road stuff, rock, dry(ish) mud fine, wet grass, slimy mud, rubbish. Best car for wet snow / mud was my Citroen Dyane of 1973 vintage. Tall skinny tyres, low weight, little power just like An SI/II/III.

Must admit I thoroughly enjoyed my D2 of a few years ago, not the best ride on-road though by modern standards. The D3 is a tremendous road car, although a bit pricey & smart to bash through bushes, scuff against rocks etc. Mighty fine at towing a 3.5 ton boat though (as was the D2). Next car will probably have to be a Citroen C1 sadly.

PS had no snow at all of any note since Christmas, up here in the lakes. Shame.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to laugh last friday...

Got about a mile in 40 minutes and decided to not go to work and stay at home,

it's probably going to be the only day this year i'm snowed in so i really don't mind

taking the day off, besides i've not had a sick day since the 80's so it nice to have

a suprise day, albeit unpaid. Come to think of it, i don't think i've ever not gone to

work because of snow!

The guy i was working with left his van at home and used his LandRover to get in.

Thats all very well, but the one day a year/decade he could have stayed at home,

he went to work, alone, getting there late, leaving early, booking bugger-all hours

for the effort... ...while i spent the day in the pub.

The nob!

Although i like Land Rovers, last friday i was glad i did not have one, and could blag

a day off like all the other guys trapped in the pub by 4" of stuff that we rarely ever see.

:)

I love my '00 Disco...done up by BMW...I think the newer ones are just reskinned Fords and they drive like a F-150 pick ups.

Just got new tires for mine...nothing fancy. But it make me happy!

I have my S1 86" for about 30years and never been stuck in the snow and it has never broken down and is used just about every day and I prefer it from my Discovery as you feel what's going on a bit more and you tend to drive through the seat of your pants.

Trouble is we have had bugger all snow in Norfolk and can't go out and play. pi--ed off.

Nick.

Mike Kimberley's 'Can Do' Trim Guru

Best car I've ever had for driving in the snow was my S4 Elan. Light, with narrow tyres and soft suspension always managed to find grip as long as you didn't try to brake and steer at the same time. I remember going down the snow-covered outside lane of a dual carriageway in Coventry and coming to a double bend thinking I'd not got a chance of getting round it. Just steered round with no problem.

Of course, being a Lotus there was a drawback. The snow pushed against the pipe on the clutch slave cylinder rotating the cylinder so the pipe was against the exhaust. The last part of my journey was accompanied by puffs of smoke each time I used the clutch and more and more difficulty changing gear as the bundy pipe melted and let fluid out. God it was cold lying in the street outside my place in Earlson changing that pipe the next day.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE