Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 replica using an S3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 replica using an S3

Hello all,

Like many around my age I have always liked the G Esprit because of a certain Bond film. As an Elise owner of seven years I am now thinking of coming full circle and taking the plunge. In a perfect world it would be an S1 but because of their current prices this is unlikely - and I am not mechanically minded at all so a restoration project is out of the question.

Someone suggested using an S3 to make a replica of the S1 (because of its superior mechanics and lower cost). I am not a huge fan of the wrap around bumpers and skirts on the S3, but it seems feasible that S1/S2 bumpers could be fitted in their place - I would imagine the bodywork is the same on all three models?

It would probably amount to just bumpers & badging, maybe wheels too, but any interior changes would be unlikely.

Has anyone ever done this and how successful was it? Or does anyone know of any potential issues? Any other suggestions welcome (I know some will gasp in horror at the thought - but it is just an idea at the moment!)

Thanks

Neil

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to be more work than you imagine. Rear ears are different, suspension rides higher on the S3 so you'd need to lower it or it'll look awful. Correct Wolf Race wheels are 4 hole whereas S3 cars (apart from very very early turbos) use 5 hole BBS, so you'll need to do something to the hubs, or use aftermarket wheels. The S3 Turbo has the small, integral to the bodyshell, ducktail on the rear so you'll have to go for an NA car.

If you follow Andy's suggestion and use an S2 then they are very rare to source and to be honest probably not any more reliable than a well sorted S1 after 30 years.

I get the feeling you are limited on budget, and think you can get an S3 and just change a few bits over. Don't think you can do it that simply.

If you want an S1 good ones seem to be going for

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

Going to be more work than you imagine. Rear ears are different, suspension rides higher on the S3 so you'd need to lower it or it'll look awful. Correct Wolf Race wheels are 4 hole whereas S3 cars (apart from very very early turbos) use 5 hole BBS, so you'll need to do something to the hubs, or use aftermarket wheels. The S3 Turbo has the small, integral to the bodyshell, ducktail on the rear so you'll have to go for an NA car.

the early N/A S3 5-lug BBS wheels where listed as an option...

this is only 4-lug N/A S3 with speedlines ive ever seen. i took these photos at donington in 2000.

some people have suggested that the 4-lug S3 suspension as well as the hubs were different that the 5-lugs. so does that me if you did check the options box for the BBS you got a different suspension with the wheels?

perplexed...

i also want to predate my esprit into an early S2 look. the interior and the wheels wont be easy

PP

post-2067-1234731944_thumb.jpg

Edited by pyropolymer

Putting an S2 front bumper onto an S3 was discussed a little while ago - mooted quite feasible with little or no change. There might be a bit of a gap between the bumper & the mid line strip - you could add a bit which would lead inevitably to the even bigger job of replacing the lot - but it would 'lighten' the front a bit. There was an S2 front bumper for sale somewhere for around

Fair point there Buddsy, although I reckon the difference in ride height between the series is down to US & EEC regulations. Must admit our roads are so badly potholed at the moment flinging lotti around just aint possible, going down the Sedbergh road into Kendal for the Sunday papers a bit like going on a military assault course. Still, just an idea to while away the winter nights ...... :wub:

Neil

See if you can convince these people to reduce their price to something reasonable...

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/872887.htm

Half of what they're asking is more realistic given the current economic conditions. Failing that sell the wife & kids into slavery and buy it anyway.

Pau.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

I wanted an S1 as everyone does (I still do), but trust me, my white S3 N/A is called the "bond car" down my street, it makes no difference to the looks you get, there's only the small educated minority who know the differences.

Thanks Paul - I did see the orange S1 on Pistonheads and thought the price was "optomistic" to say the least! Looks as though someone has found a very rare car and is determined to make the most out of it he can.

I will think about making an offer though...half of what they want is do-able for me. Have been keeping tabs to see how long it stays for sale. I don't have a wife or any kids to sell (which when it comes to this sort of thing is a plus!!!) Someone has suggested selling my Elise but I really don't want to part with it.

Tony - your S3 looks great with the bumpers in black and it is amazing what a difference just doing that makes. And I agree most people would not know (or care!).

It is hard to know what a sensible budget is, bearing in mind the economic climate (as illustrated by the orange S1 case). I do feel maybe an S2 or S3 is more within my reach. I looked at white S1 2 years ago which the owner would take

Ian - What's the going rate for a red S1?

Neil - I keep hearing people say that the S1 is going up in value but I don't see a lot of evidence to back that claim up. Given that the orange car has been locked away for years I would imagine it needs a fair amount spending on it irrespective of what anybody told me to the contrary. The yellow S1 on eBay right now hasn't got any bids of

Have been keeping tabs to see how long it stays for sale.

Hi there,

There are many esprits around that have been over a year on the market, Lotus Esprit

World tags their ads so you can see some of them are a year old. Pistonheads ads last

30 days max then you have to re-submit, so none of the ads look old unless you have

been watching.

Having just sold a very nice later Esprit, the tip i'd give is:

Make polite and serious 'i have the cash and will pick up this saturday' offers.

Everyone here knows what their car is worth to them, i honestly think the Esprit i just sold

is a

Does anybody out there have a recent copy of Practical Classics? If so, what figures do they quote for the S1 Esprit? They usually give 3 figures from memory for restoration, average and good. When I bought mine 2 years ago the restoration figure was

Thats a good point about the orange car Paul, and one I considered - that it has not had the benefit of someone spending money on it over the years improving and tweaking it.

I have not seen the yellow S1 on e-bay yet, will certainly have a look.

Yep was my yellow car and had two people interested in it at

Re the orange S1.

All I can say about that car is that its not going to be advertised on pistonheads for much longer :)

All the best.

Hey whats wrong with this wreck? We`re getting gas back here.