Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Additives question! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Additives question!

Who if anyone uses any additives for oil in the engine, transmission fluid, injector or fuel system cleaner and what do you use and why??

I used slick 50 in an Allegro 20 odd years ago and regretted it ever since but have heard that the new additives do not cause the same problems, especially products by PolyDyn. No experience with PolyDyn and don't represent them but would like to get feedback on what folks use, what type of engine and why they use a particular product, noticeable benefits etc.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dermot may be the best person to answer this one..

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

He has in the past and I believe the results are on his website. Bob, so you know, Dermot is a Chemistry Professor (a Don I believe) at the world renown Oxford University and he's tested some recent additives. Without looking due to this hideous excuse for a web connection I'm on, I think that all bar the expensive, motorsport only additives were wholly useless.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Thanks for the fast replies guys. I spent the last 3 days going through all 50 odd pages of the V8 technical section and only found some random posts with a mention of the PolyDyn products but no specific usage examples. As mentioned after my Slick 50 problems years ago I am reticent to even try any of these but fuel injector cleaners as well as fuel system cleaners may be of interest as I have had to start using them on my X5 religiously since it went over 50K miles. More feedback can't hurt I guess and products change over time.

Any chance of a link for Dermot's website??

Edited by Hunt

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

At all the dealerships I've ever worked I've never seen a product that does the job as good as a premium quality fuel.

I don't believe that any really work that well, though putting a cleaner into the oil prior to draining was always recommended by the mechanics.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Cheers guys! The fuels around here can be questionable sometimes. The car gets 91 as 93 or higher is harder to find and 91 should be close the the UK 96/97 Octane.

So stay away from all those silly coloured bottles for transmission/engine/petrol, etc......