Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Think coil pack gone - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Think coil pack gone

mangel

Only one cylinder down though which is odd as far as I can tell from reading on here.

Anyone replaced with alternative on an S4.

If so what and who?

Lotus want 230 plus VAT so anythings got to be better than that!!

wouldn't have thought they are exclusive to esprit.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sparks done, leads checked.

very weak spark and firing on three.

Checked injectors, only one made no difference to engine.

got to be coil packs I think.

not so fast.

A coil pack will always affect two cylinders, no ifs ands or buts...

An injector by itself, spark plug, or a plug lead could cause only one cylinder to have a problem.

How did you check the leads?

Normally when I test, I swap leads to different pairs, if the problem follows the leads, then it is the leads.

I'll also pull the fuel rail with injectors clipped in, and place a paper towel under them. Look for the wetspots.

If you have one or two injectors that don't create wet spots, then swap them to other positions and see if they still don't work. That way you know it isn't the injector driver circuit.

I once had two injectors fail... they were both on the same pair (2&3), so it was very confusing, until I started moving injectors around to figure out if it was injectors, coils, leads, plugs, or the injector driver circuit.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

hello everyone. well i fitted the fuel pump, car starts, but is missing, changed all plugs, no different, got a spare lead to check teh spark and there is no spark at the plug, changed the lead and checked again no spark, checked leads on other plugs all ok, so it looks like the coil pack to me. any one know of alternatives for an s4 to the lotus ones as

It's Oogies turn to boogie

hello everyone.

on the base that the coil packs attach to, does this earth itself onto the chassis of the car or is it just a bracket that holds it and is not the earth. if it is the earth, is there some conductive grease that needs putting between the back of the base and the bracket? also the four connectors were pretty green and also the wire terminals so better clean these

all the best

recently bought a set, but they're HELL to install, especially the ones close to the airco !

2 8224 Coil, GM Coil Pack, 2 Tower StyleUSD$ 94.20

USD$ 25.00 (shipping)

So : 119.20 $, delivered @ home :thumbup:

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

thanks, will look at adding an earth strap, did not find them too hard to get at used a 5.5mm long socket with an adjustable height rachet. (still i have double jointed fingers which does come in handy) ordered on friday so perhaps they will get here by the weekend

thanks, will look at adding an earth strap, did not find them too hard to get at used a 5.5mm long socket with an adjustable height rachet. (still i have double jointed fingers which does come in handy) ordered on friday so perhaps they will get here by the weekend

be aware : the coil pack closest to the cabin is f*****g hard to unbolt, especially the lower bolt, since airco tubing is blocking access to the bolt

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

hello everyone. well i had a bit of time earlier so i took off the terminals cover on the affected coil, both were very green and looked very poor. the #2 (which is the one that had no spark) was also loose. i took a dremmel and routed out some of the plastic and it looks like there is only a tiny part connection the female end which i think is severed and it may only be held on by a bit of plastic so coil pack can affect one cylinder.

the other terminal also looks very poor but not loose.

i would reccomend to anyone to have a look at the coils on their car to see if there is water ingress which you wil be able to see on the base plate spade connectors.

all the best

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone.

new coil packs arrived at the parcelforce depot so took1/2 off work and collected, now all fitted and car starts fine, just need to take it for a run. a quick tip if anyone else is replacing these, once the coils are on the ignition plate use some electrical tape to hold them in place. only run it over the coils and onto the side of the plate you will be able to put it in in one go with out fiddeling about make sure you put the bottom bolts in as these earth the coils.