Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Opinions Wanted??? - Misc including parts cross references - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Opinions Wanted???

On ebay there is a V8 SE gearbox (broken crown wheel and pinion??) item no 2494162588. Is it worth the buy it now price for either:

1. Spare syncros and any other useable spares.

2. Use the good insides from an SE box with the better shifting of the V8 box

3. keep it in the shed as a really useless ornament????

Is the shifting on a V8 significantly improved over the SE????

Opinions please :P

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH That's a Derrick Oliver question - he really seems to be the authority on gearboxes IMO....

Let me know if you need his number?

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Hi, :P

Derek Bell? (Think that was his name). Anyhow,the guy who gave the gearbox talk at the oxford meet, talked about the stress related gearbox failures.

From what i remember, he seemed to think that the 4cyl cars did not overwork the gearbox 'too' much unless they were modded 400bhp plus. He did say that the V8 with it's higher torque as well,could push the 'box to the limit and any mod took it beyond that.

Again,from memory, it was a stress/fatigue related failure based around a thinner section on the input shaft which would be impossible to see (until it failed).

If i was looking for a doner 'box for my SE, i would assume that one from a 4cyl would be preferable to one from a V8. But i might be wrong....

:P

For an effectively broken box that is ok but steep plus there would be questions.

If the CRW/Pinion is bust, then what else is bust or about to go ?

As for spares, unfortunately there are enough differences between the UN1 gearboxes to mean that the parts are generally not interchangeable. Especially in the Lotus range they changed ratios, bearing widths and selector mechanism's.

Some parts will fit others not, but almost certainly you can't drop the gears from one type into another.

As to the types it runs from (this is my guess based on dates but maybe wrong)

UN1-025 for SE and eralier

UN1-026 for S4/S4s and some V8's

UN1-027 for most V8's, GT3

There should be a small metal plate bolted to gearbox that says, this is only way to realy tell, no other external changes to see.

For

• 2 weeks later...
On ebay there is a V8 SE gearbox (broken crown wheel and pinion??) item no 2494162588.  Is it worth the buy it now price for either:

1.  Spare syncros and any other useable spares.

2.  Use the good insides from an SE box with the better shifting of the V8 box

3.  keep it in the shed as a really useless ornament????

Is the shifting on a V8 significantly improved over the SE????

Opinions please :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I bought the box and will have it refurbed and use the Bell upgrade. Having had a complete gearbox failure on my 350 ON THE DAY BEFORE THE WARRANTY EXPIRED i am taking no chances. The new box came to

• 5 months later...