Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Has anybody got an early S1? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Has anybody got an early S1?

I'm trying to find somebody with an early S1 who could take a close up picture of the rear valance for me. The area I'm interested in is around the exhaust tail pipe... specifically the shape of the fibreglass in that area. I'm having to repair mine and most of it is missing so I'd like to know what shape it should be.

Thanks, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might help, don't have the car anymore so I can't take another one and I can't get the file to upload as it says I don't have enough upload space

and with image, hope it helps

Edited by Choppa

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

Hi Colin

Thanks for the photo but unfortuntely the car is too late, ideally I need a 1976 model - the earlier the better.

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Hi Paul,

I have a 1976 series 1 esprit chassis #106J, this is the sixth car made.

The photo of the white car is identical as mine.

contact me on robbsimpson@yahoo.com if you require more info (parts contacts) or pictures.

post-632-1246177881_thumb.jpg

regards Robb

Paul

here's another angle of my 1976 S1.

post-632-1246182466_thumb.jpg

Robb

Hi Rob

Thanks for the pictures. That's interesting (in a sad kind of way) in that your rear valance is the same as the later car. My rear valance is different to these and looks the same as this...

It may not be immediately obvious that these are different but they are. Mine is not as wide as the later ones and the area around the exhaust tail pipe is totally different on mine.

Here are the two, old one in white and new one in black...

And as you can see the newer shape is a few inches wider and also the fixing points on the rear bumper are different. On the later one all 5 holes are in a line but on mine the end two are offset.

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Hi Mark

I'm after a close up picture of the rear valance -the area around the tail pipe. I've had to rebuild mine from scratch and I'd like to know if the shape is correct.

Cheers, Paul.

OK, I'll post some photo's, mine has a lot of extra holes drilled for fixing!

Or, if you help me with my hub nuts I can let you borrow it?

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/oo319/m...mview=slideshow

Edited by markjonesx

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

Hi Mark

Thanks for the pictures. The shape around the tail pipe is not at all what I expected!! It's not symmetrical? Do you know if yours is 100% original or has it been modified at all?

You can see in my photo that this area was completely missing on my rear valance so i had to guess the shape and I went for symmetrical but maybe that was wrong :sick: Can anybody else with an early valance confirm that Mark's is 100% original by comparing it with your own please?

Cheers, Paul.

Paul,

I pretty sure it's all original, width is as original and it even has some of the original rubber seal.

However, someone could have taken a hacksaw to it?

Edited by markjonesx

Esprit S1, 238G, Blog

Online Photo's

This car was most definately hand built, NOTHING FITS!

I'm trying to find somebody with an early S1 who could compare the shape of their rear valance for me. The area I'm interested in is around the exhaust tail pipe... specifically, the shape of the fibreglass in that area. My rear valance is unusable and Mark Jones has kindly offered to lend me his to take a mould from, but I need to know if it's 100% original before I do so. The UK rear valance is different to the US ones so I need a UK car to compare against. Here are some pictures of his valance...

Rear valance

I cannot buy one from SJ because theirs is a later type which is completely different. Let this be a warning to you... if you own an early car you cannot buy a new rear valance or a front blade as both are different to the later types which are available!! People like Lotus Bits don't stock them either :D

Thanks, Paul.

To the 'powers that be' who moved my above post from Esprit General Chat - I posted it there to try and attract those owners who don't frequent these technical sections because they don't work on their cars. I'm convinced that since the technical section was split up into different sub-catagories less people now view the posts because (like me) they can't be bothered to check through all the different sub-catagories - just my humble opinion of course.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

We operate a 'one topic per subject' policy. If you (and others) 'can't be bothered' then that's your (and their) loss, it's not hard and sometimes from a little effort comes great reward.

Perhaps a more suitable and relevant topic title would get more people to read the thread.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Hi Mark and Paul,

Mark -- Your valance has been modified. The cutout should indeed be symmetrical, and not "wrap around" or "carry over" around the corner.

Paul -- Jeff039's car is a very early car with center ash tray, early style dashboard vents, etc. Check the article from Octane magazine -- maybe there is a good shot. I have a photo of it, but I am away from home, traveling on business. :beer:

Cheers,

Tony :D

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Guest surferphil

I haven't seen one like that before, I have seen quite a few S1s with different valances though. It looks like it's been cut to accomodate a different exhaust or to tidy up a dammaged area.

Hi Mark and Paul,

Mark -- Your valance has been modified. The cutout should indeed be symmetrical, and not "wrap around" or "carry over" around the corner.

Paul -- Jeff039's car is a very early car with center ash tray, early style dashboard vents, etc. Check the article from Octane magazine -- maybe there is a good shot. I have a photo of it, but I am away from home, traveling on business. :beer:

Cheers,

Tony :D

Hi Tony

Although I've not seen any other early valances my initial reaction was that Mark's has been modified. Hence my posts asking for additional pictures.

I did send Jeff a message asking if he still has the yellow car (I know he was thinking of selling it) but I haven't heard back from him yet. His orange car is a US spec one and the rear valance has a big cut out but I wonder if the tail pipe area was the same as the UK ones? I've also asked a couple of Brits who own early cars if they can take some pictures for me as well.

Re the article - I haven't got the Octane article so I can't check that but this one, although it's not a very clear picture, looks symmetrical to me so I think it's fair to say that Mark's has been modified...

Cheers, Paul.

Mark

I take it back yours is original. Here's a picture of Scott Walker's rear valance and it's the same as yours...

Anthony Bentley is hopefully going to take a picture of his...

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Holy cow! I stand corrected! Never seen that before!!! Learn something every day, it seems!

Mark: Please accept my apology!

So how many different rear valances are that for S1s now?!?!

Three UK/Euro and one Federal?

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Which all leaves me with a bit of a dilemma as I restored my original rear valance and guessed the shape of the exhaust tail pipe area and then took a mould off it before making this new panel...

dscf0017q.jpg

Obviously you'll have to use your imagination a bit as the car's upsidedown.

You can see that I guessed the opening was symmetrical - wrongly!!

So, do I take Mark up on his offer and copy his original or not bother and use what I've already made? I must admit to being a bit anal about these sorts of things - in fact, I think if I weren't so anal I'd probably have finished the damn thing by now!!

Paul.