Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Eror Code P1460 - ECU/OBDII - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Eror Code P1460

Xsesiv

Hello,

Can someone help me about the error code P1460? I think is about the fuel but I`m not sure, if is about the fuel pressure low or similar what I need to repair? I Installed 4 mounths a go decat pipes and exhaust from larini, maybe is the problem that I removed the cats?

Thanks, and sorry for my english.

Greetings,Albino.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the manual: It's on open circuit on the air conditioning control relay. It's an sanity check. No other guidenance to what the relay number is or where located. I don't know what year Esprit you have but the 98 & on AC compressor relay is "relay G" in the rear compartment, bottom row, one in from the right end.

Wayne

The Older I get the Faster I was

thanks WEllison for your answer, I have a V8-GT year 1998, I will check relays the A/C,

Greetings,Albino.

I replaced relay in slot E for G, and still same code error, with the Code reader 3100 I erased the code and some seconds after apeers again, while I erased the code th engine revolutions down to 0,5 RPM more or less and when appears the engine check again the revolutions go to 0,9 / 1 RPM again. Maybe will be the inyectors? or fuel pump? thanks.

Greetings,Albino.

Before you give up on the A/C relay or the wiring, when you turn on the A/C does the compressor clutch engage the compressor? If so the relay circuit is working.

Wayne

The A/C seems to be OK. after tried it I went to try the car and after some kilometres when I push the clucht pedal in any gear the engine stoped, revolution go to 0 when my car is runing and it stoped, the check engine light still on, I see some codes OBDII from internet and I see the General motors page the code P1460 and the description is: (Malfunction combustion with low fuel) . I don't know if is it correct but seems a possibility because the engine go down some times. If is it how I will need to replace or repair?

thanks,

Greetings,Albino.

Hi Albino,

Error code P1460 is according to the Lotus Service manual:

Air Conditioning Control Relay

P1460 Open Circuit

Description: Circuit check

Malfunction Criteria: Logic level low

Secondary enable conditions: Relay state off

Disabled by faults: None

Time required: 1 set; 2 trips required

Potential failure modes: - Connectors

- Wire open circuit

- Relay missing

- Relay faulty

- ECM input

Limp home: None

Have you got any other error codes occurring?

I'm surprised that an A/C related error can cause your engine to 'shut down'/loose power.

Your last description could be a problem with the Idle Air Control Valve causing the car to stall when hot. Is the idle OK when you start from cold?

Also you mentioned that you had changed the exhaust. Have you got the oxygen sensors wired up correctly?

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter,

I changed the exhaust and removed the cats about 1 year a go and never get this problem, I'm surprised with the error code and the description because I'm driving always the car without A/C and never start it, I decided that I stopped the A/C 2 years a go more or less, because I have some times same problem than now, runing the car when I push the clucth pedal for example 3 seconds the engine go down, is for this reason I never start the A/C,

Now I dont have charged the A/C system, I dont know if rhis is a problem. When you tell me the Error Code P1460 is circuit open you mean that I have some hole in tubes the A/C system? or wires system electric is defectuous? I changed relay E for G slots for try but stiill the problem ( wayne tell me before)

When cold never at least for now dont go down, is always in hot or when for example I go with the car for 3o minuts I stopped the car , goes to drink or wait some time ( between 30 minuts or 2 hours more or less) and when I start the engine some times engine go down if I dont push the gas pedal.

wheres is the idle Air control Valve?

thanks a lot!!! I hope you can understand my poor english.

Greetings, Albino

Albino;

Open circuit means electrical open circuit THATS ALL. It will have nothing to do with the recharging of the A/C system! I think the P1460 code in NOT the real problem.

IAC ,idle air control valve is under the plenum and is controlled electronically by the ECU, you CANNOT adjust it! You can force a reset of the control system by:

Key on, all accessories off, don't start engine

Depress throttle 3 times to floor with in 20 seconds

leave key on, and about 1 minute later you should hear a "clunk" from under the plenum. It is hard to hear. Thats the IAC reset.

Start the car and let it run through 3 radiator fan cycles, then turn on the A/C (without stopping motor) and let idle for another 3 fan cycles.

This process rebuilds the electronic mapping for the IAC. If this does not stop the stalling the IAC it self is probably bad.

Wayne

Thanks a lot Wayne, I will try tomorrow reset the IAC, I need to charge the A/C system before the reset process?

I have a frined with a esprit SE (4 cylinders) and some times the engine go down same as me, he can try reset with same process that you explained to me? Thanks.

Greetings,Albino.

You can force a reset of the control system by:

Key on, all accessories off, don't start engine

Depress throttle 3 times to floor with in 20 seconds

leave key on, and about 1 minute later you should hear a "clunk" from under the plenum. It is hard to hear. Thats the IAC reset.

Start the car and let it run through 3 radiator fan cycles, then turn on the A/C (without stopping motor) and let idle for another 3 fan cycles.

This process rebuilds the electronic mapping for the IAC.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the 'Top Tip'. Do you know any others?

Regards,

Peter.

Today I tested the car again after reseted de IAC, seems to me more stable now, only one time go down in 90 minuts of trip, I think is better than before. If the engine go down again I will buy the a new IAC, thanks to all!!!! I apreciate a lot,

but now I wanna repair the P1460 code, what wires I need to check? or I need to replace relay?

Thanks,

Albino.

There is a problem with the IAC, get a new IAC valve. The reason for the reset is that the IAC moved without the ECU knowing it. The IAC runs in what's called "open loop" meaning the ECU cannot ask the IAC where it's at, the ECU must remember where set it last, if the IAC moves on it's own the IAC & ECU are out on synchronization, that's why the reset. Your IAC should not have gone "out of sync" so soon!

You may want to charge the A/C before the reset proceedure to ensure a full mechanical load on the engine , for the idle to adjust to.

If the compressor clutch kicks in when you turn on the A/C the wiring, relay, etc are OK and I can't explain the P1460 code. If it doesn't you will need a wiring diagram and a volt/ohm meter and some troubleshooting skills.

Wayne

Ok, I will buy a new IAC,

I need to charge A/C before install the new IAC? or I can isntall the new one and after charge the A/C and repair the error code? thanks and sorry for disturb a lot.

Albino.

You can do the IAC first, but plan on doing the reset proceedure again after you charge the A/C to get a good engine load at idle with the A/C on.

Wayne