Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S3 1981 restoration - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S3 1981 restoration

Wayne

You are going to need the patience of a Saint. I think its brilliant that you've saved a certain candidate for the Esprit spare parts bin and you will one day have it back on the road in rude health. The satisfaction on doing it yourself is priceless (I've restored 5 neglected Lotus to date - current Esprit project is my first Esprit resto) Hang in there when the going (aka rusted bolts) get tough.

Best of luck

Simon

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bibs i think you hit the nail on the head with the time thing. I think i will treat myself to a nut splitter as well this will save a lot of undoing of bolts that i will be renewing anyway! Sound like a good idea?

I have a lot of patience. If i could be out there every night i would be!!

Okay just a quick update as i have just come in from the garage. Engine surround cover now removed. R/H drive shaft un bolted and also brake caliper. All wiring disconnected. Header tank removed, crossmember removed. I think we are nearly ready for the engine to come out. Wont have a chance to work on it now till next wek but pleased with the progress. So L/H drive shaft and caliper to be removed. Main water pipes to be disconnected and then were ready to lift it out. Keep you all posted soon as im out there again.

I do like to get stuck in. I think if i didnt have work today i would have been lifting the engine out. Oh and forgot also got to disconnect the exhaust. All the bolts are hevily corroded and beyond a spanner so i think i will be getting the angle grinder on those!! Not looked at the ones on the manifold yet. I did however go and purchase 2 large cans of WD40 yesterday befor i started. Only

Thanks Buddsy

Also i have ordered a cerificate of build from Lotus so i can see what number she is and how it was supplied originally. Not sure wheather to keep it gold tho. Think i will change the colour to black or white.

Wayne, looking good. When do i get an invite round would love to see this in the flesh.

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Chris

Where bouts are you. I can only work on it in the evenings at the moment but soon as i get a weekend i will give you a mail. Wont be for a few weeks yet as got my daughters birthday and some weding fairs to go to for the business

Well i did say i can get out to her till next week but after the show today and seeing some nice Esprits i just couldnt resist!! So the little one tucked up in bed and my partner busy spending on the internet i decided i would grab a few hours or two.... or three!! oh okay four!!

Bothe drive shafts now disconnected

Bothe calipers disconnected

Exhaust off only manifold left on that will come out with the engine

All water pipes disconnected, had to cut some off but they were very britol anyway

So its just the engine mounts and were out!! Yippee i think!

Oh and i have to say that boot lid is damn heavy! I will be getting some assistance when i refit it

Question:

Shall i drain the oil first and can the engine be lifted with the cooler on as didnt want the mess of taking it off yet.

Just a quick update.

Not been able to do to much today as dont want to start anything else until the engine is out. So i decided to see what i can do with a wire bruin the engine bay. Have to say the finish is very inspiring and i have only done bits here and there. Oh well just need to get a free day now when i can pull it out the garage and lift the engine.

If the engine runs im aiming for more 4 months!! Ambitious ha ha. Will just have to see. Will do all the relivent work on her and crank it over by hand and if moves well i will fit it back and fire it up. Fingers crossed.

Okay so here are some more shots of the car since i have started on it. Im sure you can agree its making fair progress. Interior had a quick wipe only

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

DSC00438.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00445.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

The engine was eay to lift out with a winch in the roof of the garage and 1 person guiding it out.

Watch out for the gear pivot bracket over the driver side engine mount, you don't have to remove it but it does mean you have to manuover it around a bit.

Don't attempt to refit the box and engine seperately, its a bitch!

Don't forget to remove all the engine mount heat sheilding as the old stuff is quite brittle and doesn't stand up to much knocking about!

Chunky Lover

Okay so huge progress today. Engine and box now out with no dramas. Few trial lifts to get the angle correct and now the bay is ready to be cleaned and painted. Engine mounts look pretty corroded. The engine bay is very geasy but im not complaining as its preserved some of the steel stuff and also the bolts which need to be taken out. Will post some more pictures tomorrow. Oh and turned over the engine just hand crank with ratchet and seemed to move fairly well so good sign i guess!!

Quick update sorry no pics yet.

Decided to leave the engine and concentrate on the rest of the car, wiring, bodywork etc. Today i have removed the rear lights and managed to get the rear bumper off.

Can you purchase the rear bumper brackets to save me trying to remove the rest of the bolts as i had drilled the heads off pretty much all of them!!

Also need to carry out some repairs on the battery tray as it has come away one side and cracked the other.