Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Getting ready to pull the trigger... - Introductions - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Getting ready to pull the trigger...

finnerty

Greetings all ---

As you can see from my post count, I'm a newbie to the forum :detective:

I'm a long time Ferrari owner, but have always wanted (but not yet owned) an Esprit as well. I've recently made the decision to jump in and snatch one up in the very near future.

So far, I've done the basic research and sought some general advice from others to arrive at the conclusion that I definitely want a V8tt. I've further narrowed my choice down to the model year range of '99-'01 (US spec). With my nascent knowledge of Esprits, I confess that I cannot discern any significant differences between the '99, '00 & '01 cars.

Are there any details I'm missing? Any subtle distinctions among these model years about which I don't know?

Any advice, opinions, or information would be greatly appreciated and will help me make my final decision when the right Esprit comes along :)

Cheers

Edited by finnerty

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum, David. When I first saw the subject, I though a frustrated owner was about to end it all! :detective:

Whereabouts in the States are you? We have several members over here and one may live near you.

Good plan to research before buying. Have you also checked out Lotus Esprit World and the Esprit Fact File? They both have buying guides and, as you have probably realized, there is loads of info on here in the V8 technical section.

Good luck with your search.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Thanks for the welcome...

I'm from Colorado, but I am currently stuck in Des Moines, Iowa for an extended while --- not a lot of "Loti" running around Iowa :lol: Although Colorado is rather a hot spot for Lotus in the US (Ferrari of Denver -- FoD -- is a franchised Lotus dealer), having never owned one before puts me fully out of the loop. None of my F-car buddies have ever owned one either (a few older Elans, but no Esprits) so, they're no help.

Yes, I have perused the resources you mentioned --- that is where I've gleaned most of my info so far. The guys at FoD aren't thrilled to chat Lotus with me (unless I'm buying one from their inventory, of course :) ) as I have allied with their main competitor for independent Ferrari service ---- and, have persuaded many of their former clients to jump ship over the years as well --- long story.........

There is a '99 Esprit in Colorado that I'm going to look at next week, and I hope I can charm FoD into doing a PPI for me if I like the car :detective: ! I just wonder if I should wait for an '01 to come along, or whether these are "apples and apples".

Edited by finnerty

Welcome to the Forum David, tell us something about the Ferrari and Ferrari ownership.

:)

I've had several over the years including a few which I wish I still had (like the Boxer and the 246) --- didn't anticipate those sky rocketing values of the last few years :(

Currently, I have an '81 308, a '97 355, and a '00 456. All have been truly fantastic cars. The 308 was my first F-car, and I suppose I hang on to it for sentimental reasons --- nearly 85,000 miles racked up so far on that one :)

As for "Ferrari ownership", what can I say, Gents? What's not to love?! Many in the Ferrari community have had, or still do have, a Lotus sharing the stable with the "horse". While the character of the makes is very different, they do share all the important aesthetic elements. Plus, both have the uncanny ability to make one grin from ear-to-ear (on the good days) and drive one entirely mad (on the bad days) :)

Even if you are the staunchest Lotus loyalist, I would urge you add a Ferrari if you can ---- you won't be disappointed. And, as Lotus owners, you're already prepared for the hardest part of Ferrari ownership.............the ever-vigilant maintenance!!!

Edited by finnerty

hi there

appreciate your affinity to the big F .I have a 85 esprit ,had a 308 quad , no disrespect to a fine motor car but for the fun,money and guys like this ,you can't beat a Lotus.

The cultures are different , the passion is more tangable and boy the guys have a real connection.

Welcome ,good luck with your purchase and may the ghost of Mr Chapman steer you down the lane of pleasure.

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum: I have always like the F355... Anyway, I don't think there are many detail differences in the year range ('99-'01) you are mentioning, with the possible exception that the '99s might have the blacked out as opposed to silver instrument fascia. Not sure on this though...

Edited by 73JPS

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Cheers Greg ----

Yours is a fair question...

I like the clutch and interior changes, plus the re-mapped ECU, which were done for '98 ---- so that eliminated the pre-98 cars for me. The changes for MY 99 (US spec cars) were minor --- Aluminum instrument dash plate and drilled, alloy pedals --- but, I prefer those as well. So that sets the start of the range at '99 for me.

The AP braking system change on the '00 & '01 cars is great, but I don't feel it's a feature that I have to have. For '02 there were a lot of cosmetic changes, which frankly I don't like as much as the earlier cars. In particular (and I'm probably one of only a few who feel this way), I don't like the round tail light set-up. I'm a Ferrari guy as well, so I don't want to see (4) round tail lights on any of my cars unless there is a prancing horse next to them :) !

Finally, there is a price premium (at least here in the States) that the '02 and later cars get ---- it's $10-15K from what I've seen. I'm always a fan of buying the latest model year available to ensure that the largest amount of bugs have been sorted out by the factory. But, I can't justify the huge price gap (nearly 50%) in this case.

And, last but not least, I promised myself (and more importantly, the wife) that I would keep the budget for my next "toy" within the $30-35K range :)

Edited by finnerty

I can't even say the word in my family (the F word), yet alone own one!!!!

Anyway, welcome and good on ya! Nowt wrong with expanding your mind and going British!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Hi Dave! Welcome to The Affliction!

There was a fairly nice '01 local to me that went unsold on ebay recently, I can poke around and check on it if you like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...078#description

:)

Eric

Just to whet your appetite more...

Comparing my 90 Esprit to a Ferrari 308 I had a chance to tool around in... the Ferrari certainly had the visceral part down. Magnificent sounding engine. Delicate steering. And that sexy shape. But... it wasn't that fast, didn't corner that hard, the interior seemed a bit flimsy, and the driving position was weird. I loved the feel, but the actual performance didn't quite live up to the image.

The Esprit was the opposite. Engine doesn't sound all that good, but let it get into the boost range, you don't care about sound. Low speed handling seemed a bit heavy, but get it over 50 and it comes to life - sticks to a scary degree, will rip through a 50mph ramp at 100, with cornering power to spare. And, the interior is very solid, like the smoking room in a fine gentleman's club. A bit fussy to get into, but once in, very comfortable. I came away from my Esprit feeling that it exceeded expectations, by a wide margin.

Welcome Dave.

This link should provide you with some of the differences in model years:

http://www.espritfactfile.com/Mod_Info.html#2000 Esprit

I was actually waiting for a 2002 V8. Main reason is they changed out the rear lights. Gave the car a more modern look. But I still love my 2001. So pull the trigger and jump in no need to test the waters. You will have lots of support from this forum.

There is a '99 Esprit in Colorado that I'm going to look at next week, and I hope I can charm FoD into doing a PPI for me if I like the car :wine: ! I just wonder if I should wait for an '01 to come along, or whether these are "apples and apples".

Member Vulcan Grey (it refers to the colour of his car not that he is a Trekkie) lives in Colorado. Maybe you could ask him to look at it with you.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

VINNI ----

If you find an '02 you like, and wish to sell your '01, let me know ---- yours is exactly the car I'm looking for !

HAMMERHEAD ----

Still looking.........

If anyone has leads on any nice examples for sale in the US, I'd love to hear about them!

The only qualifier I am strict about is color ----- Must be some shade of Blue or some shade of Silver / Grey.....although, "Inferno" Red is very tempting, also :)

Edited by finnerty

Dave,

We have a club here in Colorado (LOCO) and actually have a meeting tonight if you have the time. PM me for details. If you need some advice there is myself and Travis (Vulcan Grey) who are Denverites, Travis has a 90 SE I believe and I have an '04 V8.

Let me know if there is anything we can help you with, we are a friendly bunch out here.

Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the chefs British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss and it is all organized by the Italians.

You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot

You think professional is expensive, just wait until you pay for amateur.