Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
FULL S1 RESORATION FINALLY BEGINS...... - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

FULL S1 RESORATION FINALLY BEGINS......

I'm intrigued by the Magic Dust you mention?

Scarface-5.gif

:shock::blink::P

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• Gold FFM

Kris,

Just discovered this thread. Nicely done ! I know the amount of work that goes into gel coat repair.

I utilise a product called Dye-chem that achieves the same effect. Leaves a blue/purple coating so you can see when you have sanded down the high spots. Interesting technique with the brushing. I usually spray my gel coat then a thin layer of Dye-chem followed by smoothing with 3M Imperial Compound to a shiny smooth surface.

Interesting to see the beginnings of this thread in regards to the colour selection and the interior. Nice to see that you have decided to maintain as original as you can. Keep of the fantastic work and look towards reading and viewing more.

Hey...

it has to be white....that is why this car is famous! To answer your previous question.........I'm close to you in Bournemouth and come to Plymouth regularly......My s1 is feb 78 and was originally black leather interior.....mine is currently being trimmed.

Rich

Thanks Chris T, the brush technique with crystalic gelcoat works for me. A friend who builds yachts gave me some tuition in the layup but you are correct lots of hard work, and the only stimulant used has been coffee & monster energy drinks lol. The dust is 3M 09560 Noir, without it would be very difficult to flat back evenly.

Rich, have you got your flame suit on? It would have been white but I have been guided by some decent advise on here. I believe that only 22 orange gelcoated cars were ever made, which makes it even more exclusive Mr Bond. Give me a shout when you are with your S1 in Plymouth, having never seen another S1 in the flesh so I'd love to have a gander around yours.

Edited by smokingkills

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris

Well done mate, seems like a life time ago I spoke to you about the restoration, at the time you had just bought the car and I thought you were out of your depth! You have done a great job and seemed to have learnt a load. Glad you went with orange in the end as it suits the S1. It has been over 7 years since I did a restoration like that with my S1 and it brings back fond memories and many late nights.

Like to get back in contact and help if I can, Rhys has kept me updated now and again.

Cheers

Dave (Dockyard)

davidjnoble@blueyonder.co.uk

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• 1 year later...

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear you have decided to pass her on, It would have been nice to have seen them together in Plymouth some time.

You should have no problem selling as people are always after S1's and you have done a lot of the hard work.

Good luck with the sale although I am sure it won't be with you for long.

The car is in Plymouth, Devon.

I will be sad to see it go as a lot of time & money has been spent. I've just lost momentum with this, too many projects on the go, not enough money to finish to the standard that it should be done.

Not sure of the value as things stand, but I have spent a small fortune on it. I don't want to break it as it will be another one lost forever :(

What do unfinished projects go for ££ anyone estimate??

Out of interest what chassis number is it?

If you can't afford to finish it and don't desperately need the money just sling a cover over it and come back to it in a few years - it won't eat anything. I've come close to selling mine a couple of times over the last 5 years but I'd never get back what I've spent on it and although restoring it is a love/hate thing I'd regret it if I sold it.

Money may be tight at the moment but it won't always be that way.

Given the amount of work you've done to it and taking into account the fact it's in bits I'm going to say (assuming it's a complete car of course) somewhere around £8,000. Just my opinion of course!!

I'm tempted as I love the orange ones but I've already got 4 cars with 2 of them in bits and 'er-indoors would probably go ballistic hehehe

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Chris

Agree with Paul about price as that was my estimate, having seen your car it is a good project for someone.

Paul is right though about covering it up and going back to it later if you have the space, I have regretted selling several projects in the past.

If you put it on ebay you may sell quickly as foreign bidders pick S1's up quickly. I have sold cars to Germany, France, Switzerland and Sweden and loads of parts abroad. In all cases they did all the transport arrangements.

Good Luck

Dave

Paul is right though about covering it up and going back to it later if you have the space, I have regretted selling several projects in the past.

Yeah I think we've all been there... I sold a matching numbers 99% complete 1962 English RHD e-type fixed head coupe restoration project about 6 years ago for £6,500. Now I couldn't buy it back for double that :(

Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

The chassis number is 7609/0166g.

& you were right chaps it didn't take long to sell.

I had 2 offers of the same amount, two very decent blokes, I sold to the one that offered 1st.

Would be very nice to see this thread to be continued.......................

Chris,

Its the sort of thing we buy all the time, give me a call on 01245 248143 and give me a run down of whats left to be done.

I will then make you an offer.

Mark [stocks Coachworks]

Sorry sold pending payment.