Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Plastic chrome roof trim - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Plastic chrome roof trim

Hi all,

Am currently doing an external restoration of my S2 Esprit. Both of the capping rails that run from the rear hatch hinge along the main roof section and down the A pillar are now removed, and the plastic chrome trim that sits between each section and the roof is very poor and has perished in places.

Is this trim still readily available and if so does anyone know where I can get them from?

Any info appreciated.

Regards

Neil

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Neil,

I was looking into that today too. How did you get that trim out? Guess the front window needs to be removed?

It seems to be sitting to firm to just pull it out...

Gert.

Edited by Gert

Hi Gert

To remove the capping rail you just remove the trim that runs from the bottom of the windscreen to the boot - drill out the rivets if I remember correctly. It will take a bit of effort but once the trim is removed you will then see that the capping rail is riveted down too (if I remember correctly).

No need to take any glass out.

Goose

banner-1.jpg

I can confirm the rail is riveted on and the bodyshop just drilled them out. My rear quater light window was removed already but this had no influence. Front screen untouched.

The plastic trim sits inside the capping rail so this does need to come out. You will need to remove the piece of interior trim above the door to get to the rivets - mine was held on by pipe clips and just pulled off.

I have photos so if you want me to post any let me know.

BTW - new trim arrived Friday!

Edited by Nelly9000

• 6 years later...
On 5/10/2009 at 04:40, Nelly9000 said:

I can confirm the rail is riveted on and the bodyshop just drilled them out. My rear quater light window was removed already but this had no influence. Front screen untouched.

The plastic trim sits inside the capping rail so this does need to come out. You will need to remove the piece of interior trim above the door to get to the rivets - mine was held on by pipe clips and just pulled off.

I have photos so if you want me to post any let me know.

BTW - new trim arrived Friday!

revise old thread.... sorry !  But can you post the photos please Neil?

I did a thread on this a while ago, have a search through the forum.  If the pic links don't work let me know and I'll post them again.  Scary times with a stanley knife 'adjusting' the new trim, but otherwise a pretty simple job with great satisfaction value!

1 hour ago, simon a-b said:

I did a thread on this a while ago, have a search through the forum.  If the pic links don't work let me know and I'll post them again.  Scary times with a stanley knife 'adjusting' the new trim, but otherwise a pretty simple job with great satisfaction value!

maybe my searching skills are a tad limited, as already looked for a picture friendly thread on this and no luck :(   If you can find those pictures again Simon, it would be very useful !

I've found you have to persist with searching, there is a wealth of good info here.  I found the two threads quite easily and commented on them so they should top the list.  Once you're in a section, make sure you choose 'this forum only' beside the search box...

22 minutes ago, simon a-b said:

I've found you have to persist with searching, there is a wealth of good info here.  I found the two threads quite easily and commented on them so they should top the list.  Once you're in a section, make sure you choose 'this forum only' beside the search box...

ah, thanks Simon - 'search this forum' is my fail :(

I've done this before too...needs doing again, really, so I can report that the plastic trim lasts about 15 to 20 years!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein