Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Bumper removal S3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Bumper removal S3

Any advice on getting to the rusty bumper bolts which have either corroded by the head completely so they wont turn or they turn to freely to the point that the ba****ds are just spinning.

Help please as i need the bumpers off..

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bibs the problem i have is the bolts are located through small holes in the body to which i would not be able to fit anything like a dremal. You have to use a ratchet with an extension to get in there this is why im a bit stuck.

Really dont want to start chopping at the body. Just been looking at super long drill bits. could try drilling the head off, since they are mainly britol they may drill easily. Will see if i get a chance to have a go at the weekend.

This won't help Wayne with his spinning nuts :getmecoat: but recently I spotted a Loctite spray product that is supposed to work by freezing a seized nut to about -40C which loosens the offending rust sufficiently to allow the oil it contains in to do it's job.

Not tried it but made a mental note that I might need something like that in the next few months.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

I've used a product called 'Freeze and release' which sounds similar and now resides next to my chocolate teapot.

As does the tin I bought - next to the chocolate fire guard...

Iain

1983 Turbo Esprit - Silver - 'Lottie' and 1999 Elise - Norfolk Mustard - 'Liz' Daily driver - 286,000 miles and counting!

Have you tried a bolt extractor set with the reverse spiral threads? I suppose this wont work if the bolt is spinning inside the bumper,...

I just removed my front bumper last night and the space was very limited... but I got lucky and nothing was (or got) stripped.

Thaks for the advice i started to drill the bolt head off earlier and it seems to be working. Then i can get some grips on the remainder of the bolt after the bumper is off. Not sure i will be able to drill all of them but will give it a go. Only had ten mins to attempt it earlier as off to a party. Damn!!!