Splashout

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats great Glyn :huh:

If only the TV producers we have now actually stayed on stuff like

they did then! The current lot seem to inanely switch from any action

to a shot of someone in the crowd with a funny hat or painted face...

Great footage. B)

Awesome stuff!!

Now THAT'S what racing SHOULD be!

...and is why 'da kidz' all watch BTCC instead these days!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Look how much the cars are twitching. :huh:

on every corner :D

Now they were the 'car control' days.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Waited 20 mins and got the copy up with Gilles on it(slow internet connection) :(

I presume it is Rene Arnoux vs Gilles Villeneuve at the french Grand Prix at Dijon in 1979 :D

They went at it hammer and tongs lap after lap, probably one of the most exciting F1 races ever :):P:(

Apparently they were mates and afterwoods had a laugh about the whole thing. :huh:

Nothing like today of course, shame :(

FrenchGP1979_VilleneuveVsArnoux_02.jpg

vill15.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Guest teigan

the cars somehow always look slower on video. cameras are too fast to get the speed blur; especially today with digital frame based footage. that's probably why we think it was so much better in the old days. i personally more appreciate the lack of consumer advertising pasted on the cars back then.

It's nothing to do with the perception of speed but to do with the element of competition, racing and exceitement.

THAT was a *race!* :huh:

Nowadays, it's a qualifying session to see by how much Michael Schmacher gets poll followed by a dreary hour and a half or two of watching him in front of everyone else while no bugger passes as either they can't or darent and are content to consolidate their position.

Yawn dull snore!

Although in fairness, last season wasn't Schumacher all the time but the format was identical, just substitute the name with the inevitable race-winner.

Having removed, banned and limited all the things that made the races exciting, then permitted all the crap that makes them dull (cars with more computing power than Nasa) they are now introducing more and more bizarre and ridiculous schemes in all hinesty, to try to stop Michael Schumacher from winning every time as noone wants to watch any more!

There's a lovely new track they use in the Middle East (Dubai?) they ought to try making a few slightly wider tracks so passing becomes more of a possibility.

Until it gets interesting again, I will remain more likely to watch the British Touring Cars Championships and bike racing - as that's great!

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

I think they generally just got scared that people would kill them selves if the cars kept getting faster and faster, so brought rules in to stop that but by doing that have managed to cock it up big time to the point that it is just not interesting to watch.

You turn on to watch the start to see if there is a pile up and then turn off and look up who won latter.

There must be a way that by limiting the power output and having a strict list of driver aids that you could get back to driver skill counting for something.

Then if one person is that much better than the rest then fair play but at the moment it is just a technology race.

Edited by Splashout

Liked the Elise race - only showed half the lap though... :D

That was one of the support races to the classic 1000km Touring Car race that they hold each year around October.

I've been around that circuit a few times. :huh:

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Love that F1 clip. The cars do look faster than they do now even if they are not. Maybe because of the proper ground effect with skirts. I remember at the time that half the commentators thought it was great. The other half thought they were mad and should be reprimanded. Nowadays, one would have punted the other off in half a lap of that battle.

Also liked the Elise clip. Who was driving? Why was that driver so much quicker than the rest? Reminded me of "In-car 956."

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE