Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Driving Licence - The Lotus Forums 'Factory Frolic' 2009 - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Driving Licence

Laura/Bibs

In all the posts about test driving the Evora (which I'm really looking forward to) you refer to making sure we bring our UK Driving Licences (both parts)......

Mine is an old fashioned paper one and only has one part :devil:

So do I need to bring some other photo ID e.g. Passport to vouch for my identity as the holder of said licence?

Sue

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet Bibsy. Us vintrage folk still don't have to comply with the ID cards that are two part driving licences or pay a tax to have them renewed every ten years.

Sometimes, just sometimes, it's good to be 'experienced'.

Oh Crikey!

I've scoured the DVLA website and can see you have to advise them of a change of details: name, address etc........... if you don't fine of 1000 pounds (gulp!)

However my paper licence is correct with the right name and address and I don't fancy paying 20 quid for nothing.

I will phone DVLA tomorrow to make absolutely sure and will post on here with the 'official' answer

Sue

Edit: GKP us experienced drivers need to keep these whippersnappers in their place :devil:

Edited by Boots

Bibs,

Only 3 points on mine (and they've expired now :devil: - woohoo! )

Plenty of room for more now that I've got the car to do a proper job

'' What do you mean officer, 140 m.p.h. ... I didn't know it could go that fast ... '' (flutters eyelashes in desperate attempt to avoid a ban)

I will show you my licence but have to be careful taking it out of its protective plastic sleeve as its soooo old it may disintigrate on contact with the air ! !

Sue

I had my paper licence until very recently, combined with the fact i had no valid passport it made our house purchase harder as everyones forms now have a 'Photo ID' box to tick rather than a yes or no box.

:devil:

So i sent off and got a new licence and got a valid passport (for which i needed an interview!). Well worth doing as while it was nice to have the paper one for so long, there are occasions where producing it instead of the new one turns a seamless transaction into a drawnout one involving phone calls and ID checks etc,etc...

I remember when my late grandma went into a home and had to fill in forms that already had the 19_ _ of the date of birth filled in, she had to cross it out to write 1898!

:sofa:

Errr..

What if you don't know where the paper one is and you have only about 4 hours awake time at home between now and leaving for the factory. Factor in a house move and having not seen it since and there may be a problem!

Chunky Lover

I am glad I've just seen this thread, I assumed it was just the photo card licence part. I'll have to go and dig the paper bit out!

Thanks Sue for starting this thread, this would have ruined my weekend had I not been able to test drive te Evora!

David Walters

Thought that line was reserved for the exclusive use of my mother!

Why do we need the paper part?

Surely the card is all we would need, thought that was the whole point of having it in the first place, its fine to use as a producer for the police? I've got my card on me all the time pretty much.

Thought it was just for putting points on and thats about it?

Does that mean no paper, no test drive? If so surely thats a bit daft?

Not having a go at you Laura but I piggin hate all this stupid paperwork we have to keep track of or get penalised if you can't find it. Paper work is the bane of my existence. I HATE IT SO! :devil:

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Hey guys

Just got the official 'low down' from DVLA and paper licenses are valid as long as they show the correct name and address :devil:

No problem Dave glad my paranoia is finally paying off!

Sue

Lotus have asked those wish to take part in the parade lap or test drives to produce their full driving licence. Full licence generally means both parts of the licence, if all you have is the half of it then take it along and if the person taking you out on a test drive is happy with that you can go but if you can't then I've warned you, pleased don't be disappointed if you can't take part.

If I had a filing cabinet it would constantly look like this

SuperStock_1574R-01101B.jpg

Until it was full then it would look like this

Messy%20office.jpg

Honestly for 33 years I have tried, as have other people, to organise my life.

I can honestly say it has NEVER worked, no matter how hard I've tried.

Lisa pulls her hair out and struggles to keep up with the disorganised mess that is my life, we moved house and she found years of unopened letters, bills, statements, etc..... I just don't seem to have the time or energy to do anything with it other than a fleeting glance and leave it on the side with the rest of it.

I don't need a filing cabinet, I need a full time secretary, a luxury which I am not able to afford.

Until then I will continue to lose things and will probably end up in prison over it knowing my luck, theres bound to be something really important I can't find in time one day and I'll be banged up for a few years, to "teach me a lesson"

Chunky Lover

Surely the card is all we would need, thought that was the whole point of having it in the first place, its fine to use as a producer for the police? I've got my card on me all the time pretty much.

Nope, if you get a producer from the plod they'll want to see both parts. I actually got off 3 points once precisely because they DID accept only the card part, and then were snookered as they hadn't followed their own processes. If you only produce the card part of your license you have not technically produced a license at all. It's all or nothing.

Isn't it the same for all big hire car companies now?

Getting back to Lotus and Hethel, If you were allowed to just produce just the photo card, how would they know how many points you rightfully had? I for one would not let someone take a sports car out on a drive without a proof of actually what offences the driver had registered.

How do you think their insurance would react to someone bending an Evora and then subsequent investigation discovering say the driver actually had a load of points, but the Lotus guy had said, it was OK because I saw their photo card?

In my eyes their stance is totally understandable

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

I guess we will have to check for sure.

In my eyes a 'Full' driving license just meant you had passed your test.

You've either got a 'provisional' or a 'full', your card is still proof of a full license and no mention has been made of points (I don't recall anyway) and if you have so many you will not be allowed to drive.

If they or their insurance has a max points limit they need to let people know I guess or there may be a few dissapointed people with paper licenses :D

The reason I don't know where my paper part is, is due to the fact I've never needed it from what I can remember. No points, SO FAR! :)

Chunky Lover

Why do we need the paper part?

First time i hired a van with only my plasic part i was refused. They need the paper part to see convictions as the card only acts as proof of who you are and that you are that licence holder, it's worth bugger all to anyone wanting to see your history before hiring a car or letting you for a test drive.

:)

Thought it was just for putting points on and thats about it?

...its fine to use as a producer for the police.

Answered your own question mate! I begged on that occasion and the hire company phoned DVLA and i answered some questions to prove who i was before giving the DVLA permission to disclose my endorsements, and then handing to the hire company, took about ten minutes and hardly possible for every person on the factory day assuming the DVLA are open on sundays anyway.

Unlike the hire company, or lotus cars, once the Police have established your identity from your card licence, they can get all the info they need from database so would not need the paper part at the roadside (they are probably seeing it before you have even pulled up and stopped). Lotus won't be able to do that.

:)

Find it!!!!!

Or

Phone up and ask for another!

:D