Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Are the later cars as bad as these? - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Are the later cars as bad as these?

BLUETHUNDER

Sorry for the negative title. But ive been left with this by my brother for the last couple of weeks.........

100_0811.jpg

100_0809.jpg

A stunning 92 Turbo.Its a well maintained and meticulously clean car thats had a no expense spared life.

But that is where the dream ends. I maybe a bit harsh. But i find it dreadful to drive. Apart from the wide sills on getting in. The whole pedal box area is a disaster waiting to happen. Should you have size three feet to drive one??. I'm a size 9. But my feet are constantly over lapping on the pedals. To the point that sometimes my foot tucks under the brake pedal when accelerating traping it. Some quick wiggeling around to free my foot before disaster looms is needed. The other problem is the clutch pedal. Its a bit of a chore actually making your foot comfortable on the pedal to execute a nice gear change. This in turn brings me to the gearbox!. I have never come across a box so disappointing as this. Gear changes are very notchy. With no precise change in to 5th.

I have always had a fancy for a later V8. Please tell me that the pedal area and the gearbox were a vast improvement over the previous model. If not then i will have to scrub the idea entirely. Sorry for being negative but i find the cars stunning. But such a chore to drive. Before anyone says i'm not used to driving performance cars. Then these are my daily drives......................

100_1295-1.jpg

Jusct checking oils prior to another stint around Spa last week.

And this....

100_1117.jpg

Please tell me the later cars are better.

Like the shots at Crystal palace, having driven Ferraris, Aston Martins, etc, a Lotus is a performance drivers car, I have yet to drive any road car that can change direction with the agility of a Lotus.

True the air-can is not great, nor the sound system, but that's not why I have had 4 Lotus's

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

Size 9 feet as well and my New Balance sandshoes are not good in the pedal box. My OMP driving shoes are not a problem at all. :bounce:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

The pedal box is similar but I manage with my size tens without issue (and have done for the past 20+ years of driving Esprits), but of course your choice of footwear is limited. If you're keen on driving in wellington boots you might have limited the amount of wriggle room you have.

The later cars (98 onwards - with the new shape dash) are a vast improvement over the turbo you've been pootling around in, in pretty much ever driver focussed aspect. They are chalk and cheese and show up how "old skool" the early cars can be. Old skool isn't a bad thing, it's just different.

I use mine virtually everday. I do the 30 mile round trip school run in it, which involves both countryside, motorway and city driving.

If you buy a later V8, the combination of power steering (from 93 onwards across the range) decent gearchange, modern brakes, functioning HVAC and easy low down torque make for a relaxing way of trundling around.

Guest surferphil

No disrespect intended but your other cars aren't exactly noted for having a good Chassis, this compramises comfort some what.

I find the padals are quite close and a little scary to begin with, but I got used to it quickly.

are you sure your brothers car is a 92 and not an 88 :bounce:

Edited by surferphil

Does not seem to be maintained that well to me.

The gear change is dependant on the adjustment of several things, not least the cables, cross gate, rose joints and other associated parts. It defines the gearchange and sounds as though it is worn and also out of adjustment.

The clutch is another area where meticulous does not always reach too.

Some of this stuff is not as obvious as it first appears because it is less accessable.

Yes it has wide sills, but it also a sports car, not a family hatch back.

The footwell is narrow and its not your foot size that is the problem, its the width of your shoe.

Its all relative. You wont find an F1 driver wearing 8 hole airwairs! Stick those in your footwell :bounce:

Whilst your daily drives are very nice, they are hardly like for like. Chalk, cheese etc.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Basically the driver footwell is narrower than most cars. I have very wide feet, most shoes just do do the width to even get thee on, this means i have to use the accelerator pedal with my right leg slightly over and foot rotated a little. This at 1st pulls (surprisingly) on the tendons on your knees and like you i was thinking crap this is going to be painful to drive which it was for the initial couple of weeks, but like with any sport regular use and stretching means now i have absolutely no discomfort at all. I drive my esprit hundreds of miles round the country with no bother.

Secondly - i have a wide ass. (can someone on here verify that fact?) which means any car with high or wide sills or skinny seats are a no go. There is a picture of me trying to get into Paul Cs S1 and it just doesnt happen. However the esprit is a doddle, its about technique and the drop into place. I can even fit into S350 seat just, but it crushes my nuts, whereas V8 comfort seat allow them air :bounce:

So if a Bigfoot 5ft 11 lard arse can get in and out of a stevens esprit I think you can too (that is unless you are like an asteroid and have flippers for feet). Regular driving is all you need. It is true that the SE type shape is more snug but its still no problem.

Stick with the program and you will really enjoy the car.

Alex

Note taken about chassis dynamics. But in all honesty. My Cerbera handles better than the Lotus. Sitting in the two. I feel the Lotus sits too high.under acceleration,with the back squating down the steering becomes light,looseing some feedback.coupled with the problems i mentioned earlier it makes for a forgettable experiance.

The cerbera on the other hand feels planted. I run it on just Gaz adjustables. AP brakes as standard. never had any problem make it move around a track quickly.

What does impress me on the lotus is the performance for such a small engine. getting back to the V8. They seem to sit a lot lower than the earlier cars???.I would love to try one. Just to dispel my disappointment of the earlier car.

You should try any / all of the following IMO:

S4(S)

GT3

V8

All significantly different to each other and not least the model you are experiencing at the mo :bounce:

And..................your bros car is very nice. Smashing condition by the looks of it.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Does not seem to be maintained that well to me.

The gear change is dependant on the adjustment of several things, not least the cables, cross gate, rose joints and other associated parts. It defines the gearchange and sounds as though it is worn and also out of adjustment.

The clutch is another area where meticulous does not always reach too.

Some of this stuff is not as obvious as it first appears because it is less accessable.

Yes it has wide sills, but it also a sports car, not a family hatch back.

The footwell is narrow and its not your foot size that is the problem, its the width of your shoe.

Its all relative. You wont find an F1 driver wearing 8 hole airwairs! Stick those in your footwell :bounce:

Whilst your daily drives are very nice, they are hardly like for like. Chalk, cheese etc.

Maybe this is where the problem lies. Ive never driven another lotus to compare. And it has crossed my mind that the clutch couldnt be right. The car came with a stack of paperwork and thosands spent. But thats not to say that someone done a bad job of fitting a clutch.Or getting the linkages right.

You can pop round and have a go of my knob if you like, I'm only in West Malling. Car's in bits at the mo but you can feel how the gearchange should be. I've recently refurbed it from front to back.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

Please edit that post Bibs. I'm getting worried for Mark!!!shock.gif

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Don't agree at all with your comment about the Cerbera.

If your on the limit or pressing on with purpose I'd much rather the esprit as the Cerbera's tail is way way to twitchy.

Agree with that but I've always found that I can rag the esprit more than any TVR (Sagaris excluded) without the fear of ripping my head off and sccoping out my brain for breakfast!!

Plus when the esprit goes its more progressive whereas the TVR are all or nothing followed by a viscious snap!!!

I hasn't to add I love a bit of sideways ex Rs2000 owner and RS500 owner it just the TVR always feel on an absolute knife edge!!

Just my opinion!!

You can pop round and have a go of my knob if you like, I'm only in West Malling. Car's in bits at the mo but you can feel how the gearchange should be. I've recently refurbed it from front to back.

Seeing as your localish. Then that sounds a good idea to come around and play with knobs.biglaugh.gif

Agree with that but I've always found that I can rag the esprit more than any TVR (Sagaris excluded) without the fear of ripping my head off and sccoping out my brain for breakfast!!

Plus when the esprit goes its more progressive whereas the TVR are all or nothing followed by a viscious snap!!!

I hasn't to add I love a bit of sideways ex Rs2000 owner and RS500 owner it just the TVR always feel on an absolute knife edge!!

Just my opinion!!

Living on a knife edge sounds good to me.....angel.gifbiggrin.gif

Just don't waste your money on the Corvette, biggest pile of crap I ever owned.

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!