LeMans Classic - Events - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

LeMans Classic

peteyg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone planning on going? It was fantastic 2 years ago!

Pete

Yep; would love to take the car, but being in "term time" its more likely to be a Squeezyjet flight to gay Paris and a rental Renault Migraine to keep the trip short.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

How far apart timewise is the Classic and the 24hr?

Are they back to back?

We were suuposed to be doing the 24hr this year in the Esprits (Bibs & BN did it in the Hoon Support Vehicle last time) but I've been told the classic is suposed to be superb.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

The Classic this year runs on the 7th - 9th July. It's not dissimilar to Le MAns timing wise but obviously the vehicles are older. Cut off year is 1979 but there are cars from the 20's racing. They split the cars into 6 groups - 20s & 30s, 40s&50s, 60s etc and divide the race amongst the groups so each group runs for 4 hours total in 2 2hour sessions. To be honest for me the racing was fun for about 20 mins and the highlight was being able to hear the GT40s at full pelt. The really interesting bit is the huge amount of cars and car clubs that turn up - lots of lovely and unusal metal to drool over! I saw 3 Esprits last time (one of which was mine) which was a shame. It was also scorchingly hot so not very comfortable and the whole place was a dust bath - still, can't wait to do it again! Best bit was the drive there and back - even in a slow car like mine with no air con and windows down at XXXmph it's not a very sociable journey as far as the passenger's concerned!

It is the kind of event that needs booking as early as possible with acommodation hard to find and ferry prices going through the roof as summer approaches!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

I kinda meant what dates are they - so the Classic is 7th-9th - what dates is the 24hr? :D

Would be nice to do both in one hit if that's 'doable'? :(

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Anyone planning on going? It was fantastic 2 years ago!

Pete

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dad and I are off in the Turbo, he's already got the camping and tickets booked, got him well trained!

Think he's coming across Hull-Rotterdam, then down through Holland, pick me up in Belgium and on we drive to Le Mans. If anyone wants to meet up there/on the way down let us know, don't know where we camping but can find out.

• 3 weeks later...

THe 24 hours usual Le Mans gets about 200 000 spectatots without about 6 campsites full.

How busy is the classic? I guess it is less popular?

SOunds good but I am just trying to find out more. May go with girlfriend but if its camping in an empty field tyhen may stick to the usual or go in a hotel.

SOunds good but I am just trying to find out more.  May go with girlfriend but if its camping in an empty field tyhen may stick to the usual or go in a hotel.

Hotels are gone, I thought the same, less popular etc etc, but a look at archived Pistonheads threads showed they were disappearing last summer. No accommodation within 60 miles now, so its camping or nowt!

Snip

"Think he's coming across Hull-Rotterdam, ."

Wave as you come past. This is my neck of the woods.

Cheers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What, the North Sea ? :)

Yep, he actually lives near Ripon, N.Yorks, hasn't had the car out much recently, but I'm back on business for a few days and he's away at the weekend so may sneak it out for a run, although most of the roads round us are like farm tracks at the moment.

So is anyone else actually of to the classic? Can't believe we'll be the only esprit going.

I kinda meant what dates are they - so the Classic is 7th-9th - what dates is the 24hr? :)

Would be nice to do both in one hit if that's 'doable'? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Le Mans 24hr: 17th-18th June 06

Le Mans Classic: 7th-9th July 06

I'd like to stay for both, as a nice holiday. In between, there is plenty in France to see and do. B)

But it is like 3 weeks in between start and end of the two.

Ferry booked, tickets on their way. :) Thought about doing it the easy way but now decided on taking the Esprit, a bit more in the spirit of the event. About 30 odd Cobras going over on the same crossing. Looking forward to 600 miles in one bite, must remember to pack the ear defenders...