Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dash Upgrades - Page 2 - 2-Eleven Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dash Upgrades

ads_green

Thanks for the info .

Located in Christchurch NZ , so a bit difficult to get info here. Only two 211,s in NZ

Could you supply a contact re the Sandwich plate ?

Have seen this one for sale elise shop sandwich plate

I spoke Elise shop , but they were unsure if it could double up on the existing plate .

With regards to the Dash 3 , did you wire it in yourself .

Race Tech have advise that I connect via Serial OBD ECU adapter is this how you did it .

They also advise that I have to fit sensors to get Oil pressure and Oil Temp

Does that sound correct ?

Love the car , previously had a 05 Exige NA , the 211 is so much better and a lot more fun to drive .

Car is a sport pack model Build #28 came with AP big Brakes . Carbon wing / ECU upgrade etc / Ohlins etc

Also in the process of upgrading the fuel Tank / Exhaust system / Wheel studs etc.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on guys, this has got to be worthy of some photos...!!!

You talk about all this wizardry stuffs and show no meat!!!

We need meat in out techy threads, more meat! Flashy lights are good too, but a thread like this without colours is useless, a little like paper pants!

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

The Eliseparts sandwich plate is the one I have - it fits fine (the oil cooler feed comes off an existing sandwich plate so you need to double up).

Wiring is simple (although Bell & Colville did mine as it was in for a service at the time).

You will obviously need to get sensors - I will dig out details of where I got mine when I am next at home (at the weekend, weather permitting).

Not wanting to disappoint - attached a picture!

post-4930-126337906934_thumb.jpg

Saving up for a sequential gearbox

The Eliseparts sandwich plate is the one I have - it fits fine (the oil cooler feed comes off an existing sandwich plate so you need to double up).

Wiring is simple (although Bell & Colville did mine as it was in for a service at the time).

You will obviously need to get sensors - I will dig out details of where I got mine when I am next at home (at the weekend, weather permitting).

Not wanting to disappoint - attached a picture!

post-4930-126337906934_thumb.jpg

I'm using a similar sandwich adapter made/sold by Greddy along with a Defi display unit to show oil temp and pressure -- it has programmable alarms and will record data for short intervals for subsequent playback. I've also added a wide-band air/fuel meter since there was an unfulfilled bung in my cat delete pipe. biggrin.gif. That was my intial setup when the car was new.

I'm now in the process of adding an AIM Dash (replacement for the stock unit) to work in conjunction with AIM's new Smarty Cam and allow full data logging. In the interim, I've added the SmartyCam and an ECU bridge, which allows me to import some useful data from the ECU (like RPM's , throttle position, accurate MPH, etc) to my in-car videos, as well as get lap timing via the gps unit within the camera.

And, just for Simon ... some photos ... 1) greddy adapter, 2) defi display unit, 3) all gauges with a/f meter on the left and 4) a screen shot from a video showing the ECU data I'm importing

greddyoiladapter-1.jpg

defi-crop.jpg

allgauges.jpg

Aimsmartycamdata.jpg

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

• 4 weeks later...

The RT dash and DL1 arrived the other day , so the project has begun to start fitting it.

My first question is the Oil pressure sensor , The RT sensorhas a thread size of 3/8 x 24 UNF male and I need it to fit the sandwich platewhich is 1/8 NPT thread .

I need a Female 3/8x 24 UNF to Male 1/8NPT adaptor, cananyone advise where I could purchase this . Or am I doing something wrong here?

The RT Oil Temp sensor is also the wrong thread , M12 x 1.5mm and I need to fit it into aMoroso Pan which is fitted with

post-9476-126561899722_thumb.jpg

The best option for fuel pressure that I've found is the replacement fuel rail from monkeytuner in the states.

This has a port for fitting a fuel pressure sensor directlyto the rail and it's 100% compatible with the existing fuel connectors making things alot easier.

And after all, pressure at the rail is the important place.

• 6 months later...

My good friend .... (and amazingly talented craftsman/racer/fabricator) .... installed the Aim dash, along with a few other modifications, a topic for another post. rolleyes.gif

Gone is all the clutter -- no need for ancillary gauges. The dash can be programed to display whatever data you want to see while driving, as well taking care of full data logging for download and subsequent review. The dash draws it's information from both the factory ECU as well as any added sensors that you wish to install. The dash also serves as a GPS based lap timer with predictive lap logic and segment timing -- no need to put out beacons trackside.

A few pictures to compare the new (below) with the old (above) .... THANK YOU, Brent! unworthy.gif

post-7947-071444800 1283026839.jpg

post-7947-072438700 1283026898.jpg

post-7947-041242400 1283027483.jpg

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

That is a seriously cool bit of kit. How good is the ECU interface, what I mean is how much info do you get directly from the ECU. I'm guessing that you get the usual, MPH, RPM, Coolant temp and going by your picture you must be running a wideband lambda sensor but will it pick up warning info from the ECU for ABS failure etc.

Nice install, very neat which is what I like, looks like a factory fit.

I had tried and failed to get the AIM MXL CAN interface working, I was told by Lotus that the 211 ECU did not have a proper CAN message format.

How did you find getting this working??

Very neat installation, have you retained the stand clocks behind the MXL?

Cheers

Jon

Very smart, that's a neat installation :)

Thanks, Bibs ... wish I could take credit for it. rolleyes.gif My friend, Brent, is a very talented fabricator -- here's a photo of yet another 2-Eleven-specific item he designed and had made ... rear tow-hook for an above-the-diffuser mount.

That is a seriously cool bit of kit. How good is the ECU interface, what I mean is how much info do you get directly from the ECU. I'm guessing that you get the usual, MPH, RPM, Coolant temp and going by your picture you must be running a wideband lambda sensor but will it pick up warning info from the ECU for ABS failure etc.

Nice install, very neat which is what I like, looks like a factory fit.

We can get all the can data which was supplied to the original, stock dash ...... you can (and must) program the AIM dash to pick up specific, desired warning info, if you want it to trigger an alarm. For example, we have assigned one of the warning lights to pick up on any MIL (check engine light) signal and we've used another warning port for a "traction control off" signal, but could make it ABS, etc. The MXL dash allows for 6 warning alarms to be displayed on the dash (the MXL pro allows for 8) ... we're using the other four to monitor and display a warning alarm for -- high water temp, high oil temp, low oil pressure, fuel level at less than 15%. We have added sensors that work with the AIM dash for A/F and oil pressure and temp. Dash also has an odometer and will display running hours.

Very neat installation, have you retained the stand clocks behind the MXL?

Cheers

Jon

Don't know what you mean by "stand clocks"?

post-7947-009556800 1283356931.jpg

Edited by Jack

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

Jack,

Sorry for the typo, I meant standard clocks as in original dials, are they still in place behind the MXL?

Also, I'm still puzzeled over the 211 CAN message format, I have so far failed to get my MXL to read the CAN data. Which AIM template are youi using.

Cheers

Jon

Jack,

Sorry for the typo, I meant standard clocks as in original dials, are they still in place behind the MXL?

Also, I'm still puzzeled over the 211 CAN message format, I have so far failed to get my MXL to read the CAN data. Which AIM template are youi using.

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

Original dash (dials) cluster has been removed and the stock 2-11 binnacle has been modified to allow for the factory-like flush fit. As for which AIM template we're using, I'm sorry to say that I don't know as i didn't do the dash setup. From what I understand, AIM has the protocols in place to allow you to connect the MXL pista or pro to the Lotus dash CAN bus and and get that data. For the 2008 2-11's, you would use the 2007 Elise/Exige protocol. The newer 2-11's, with the black-face dash, would use the 2008 and later protocol and get even more CAN data.

I can give you a number where to reach a great guy (Josh) for AIM technical support, but the call would be to the USA .... California. Let me know if you want it.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR

• 5 years later...

Hi guys, can I resurrect this thread?

My plan is to add a shift light unit as I can't see the shift light in the standard binnacle unit as its behind the steering wheel in my driving position.  Is it possible to simply wire in a bright LED in parallel to the existing light? Has anyone done this?  My 2-eleven is only used for track days, not road or race.

thanks, Hadrian