Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
1976 Lotus Esprit S1 - Possible Restoration - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

1976 Lotus Esprit S1 - Possible Restoration

I started the restoration of my own Esprit S1. Looking for the chassis number. But I see nothing at the place indicated. Only rust :(

Can anybody confirm that the number was really there? A detailed picture how it should look? Dimensions?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Welcome to TLF Kleynen. :welcome:

If I could give you some advice, duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there so people realise you are new. Also recommend you start your own restoration topic in here as we all like seeing photos of peoples work.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/34-esprit-project-restoration-room/

Ask tech questions in the relevant section in here.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/5-giugiaro-1976-1987-esprit-technical-forum/

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 5 months later...

Welcome to the forum, Maurice!    Whenever you have questions, ask away!     And please do post some pics!

As a side note, nearly everything -- if not everything -- that the car needs according to Bevans' earlier post is available . . .

Good luck with the project!

- Tony K.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys.

Thanks again for your fantastic support here.

It has been confirmed that my S1, due to the lack of numbers in the correct places, is one of the 8x original Esprit S1's sold in CKD (Car Knocked Down) format to the supposed Cape Town business called Intermotormakers in 1977.

I managed, through a very helpful enthusiast, to get into contact with Bill Steyn who was employed there and also told me he had been flown to the UK factory in Norfolk to train in how to build these cars. He mentioned Russ Morton who was the then MD of the company and would be a huge key to the original Intermotormakers logbook. Do any of you know of his where abouts?? Bill confirmed that Gerrie Steenkamp, the founder of Intermotormakers is no longer around.

There are certainly a handful of these S1's in South Africa...not even sure there are still 8 here...so far I have only traced 3 incl. mine.

Within the process of sourcing locally available bits instead of going the 'import' route, I also managed to find a Lotus factory built silver 1978 S2, in pieces and without engine, which will come in very handy as the donor car to my S1 project but I still have a dilemha at hand which I thought you guys could aid an offer direction on :

Which car would you restore from an investment perspective...the South African assembled S1 or the Lotus factory assembled S2?

Thanks again!

Maurice

• 2 weeks later...