Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
We have lift off!!! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

We have lift off!!!

Hi - Just wanted to show everyone what I was up to this weekend. FINALY got the body off of the frame. I do not know how old the kid was that crammed him self up there to undo the pedal box but even my 7 year old was of little help. Next I am off to pull the motor and start the frame work. I plan on completing engine and frame then dropping the body back on for electrical, interior and paint. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. John

post-629-1138731015.jpg

post-629-1138731036.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the poor chap who has to keep the front of the body shell propped up on his shoulder - best you get your skates on and finish the resto!! lol

Will look good when done - keep us posted!!

Andy

MK1 Volkswagen Golf Owners Club Well, had to get this one in if anyones interested?!

Nice motor and your lucky to have the garage space :D

the car looks tidy already :unsure: good luck on the restoration and keep us

posted as we all love to see these cars returned to there former glory :P

p.s i hope your giving your daughter at least the mimium wage

for her efforts in the rebuild :D

regards dan :D

A

I feel sorry for the poor chap who has to keep the front of the body shell propped up on his shoulder - best you get your skates on and finish the resto!! lol

Will look good when done - keep us posted!!

Andy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha thats what i thought when i saw the first pic. I would love to get this done to my G-car one day. Then I can paint it the original white and POR-15 the frame... Need a bigger garage first. :unsure:

Shah

1979 Esprit S2. Long Beach, CA

What is holding the body up?

When I removed and refitted my S2's pedal box I could not get the bolt at the front, next to the tunnel/heater back in. I found that, if you remove the heater plenum from in the front storage compartment (what is this called?) there is some duct tape covering a hole. Removing the tape revealed the bolt hole and made life easy once I had removed the plenum drain tube. I got a new tube from JAE but it was on back order so, in the meantime, I fitted some aluminum ducting like one would use for a tumble dryer but smaller. The car hasn't been in the rain yet so I don't know if it will leak but it is a lot cheaper than the proper part $2 vs. $20.

Anyway. removing that abs plenum cover made the job a lot easier. The other pig was the heater valve mounted on the top of the pedal box where the self-tapping screw which holds it to the pedal box is at the front an completely out of sight. Removing one of the heater flaps for recirculating air or not gave better access to that. Also makes getting to the brake light switch a lot easier.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Another S1! Yay! :lol:

Congrats on making a lot of work for yourself to do! :lol:

But it will all be worth it!

- Tony

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

I have it on a 2 x 12 bolted frame anchored to the wall with ratchet straps. It is a bit of overkill but I have kids running around and a wife who does not think cars should be up in the air. One thing that has worked out nice is that she can still park her van inside. I can just push and pull the chaise in and out at will (I have really cool self lifting hydraulic casters, see pix). Also my parts washer and tool cart fit under there also freeing up some other space in my garage. Works nice. Like I said I plan on doing the engine and frame now - while it is cold out and then work on the body. if it is not until summer then she will not mind me taking up the whole garage but if I get to it earlier then the body will have to go back on for re-wire and paint. Not shure what would be best - we will see how far I get in the next few months.

John, doesnt your wife know that parking her van in the garage every day in the winter, just makes it rust faster? :P

Mrs.B s van lives outside(where it belongs) :P:P

A man needs his garage space (100% of it) for important sportscar stuff :P

SUNP0003-1.jpg

Brave Man!

My Esprit's the only car I haven't taken apart. Yet. Also have a look at Troy's epic saga. What an amazing job he's done.

I'm still waiting for my other suite of garages to be finished. Would like to rack up a few thousand k's and enjoy my car before I even contemplate doing this. And a wad of cash. And hours & hours of free time.

Wayne - If I told my misses to park her Merc outside, think/know she'd tell me to go and .... myself. Hence more garages. Mine. All mine.

Unfortunately the garage space issue is one that I have lost. With my wood shop taking up the best part of the basement and my office being such a mess - I had to pick my battles. I guess I could clean up my office - but that would be time away from the car or the wood shop - and that just does not seem right - also I know right were everything is....pretty much. :P

With my wood shop taking up the best part of the basement and my office being such a mess - I know right were everything is....pretty much. :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. It's either in the basement or the office.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

How much time and effort is required in taking the body off the frame? For reference, it might be useful to have a list that describes these steps superficially for now.

The sight of the engine so accessible is just tantalizing... I wish the factory had made the car so the body would just pop up and off to allow owners/mechanics to have such easy access.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

It is not all that hard - as long as there are two of you for a few of the places where you arms need to be 9 feet long to hold both sides of the bolt and nut. Two people who know how to use a wrench could do it cleanly in a day.

Start by pulling off your doors. Then pull out the seats. Rip out the carpet that has been glued down by what must be some of the most determined glue ever created. While you are in there drop the steering column and dig out the sealer around the A arm bolts. There are only 11 (do I remember that correctly?) body to frame bolts they are the easiest to remove of anything you will do. Then from the front you have a lit of piping to undo. And a few electrical connections. The pedal box is a major pain as there is no room to get to it. If you have a 64 click wrench you would be better off then me. The A arms bolts have to be pulled through the firewall. And pretty much the fount is undone. I am sure that I had a few other things - but can't remember now. The pedal box is the killer - undo the universal for the sterring and pull it through. In that back you have all the fun stuff to deal with like gasoline and wires and break cables. All in all not to bad but do not go and fill up you tanks right before you undo the hose clamps. I know there were a bunch of linkages - tack Speedo and throttle that have to be unhooked but they are all pretty strait forward. I am enjoying working on the car very much....and I do not want to be labeled a blasphemer ...but... I wish the pedal box we a frame mounted piece and the hatch and rear fenders could be unbolted and removed

Guest Troy Halliday

I remember taking the body of on my project I had a few helpers more than was needed but I didn't want any accidents, mine got stuck on one of the front suspension mounts but it finaly came of.

Now you have twice the car you started with, I like your method for making space though. Mind you being a shorty I wouldn't be able to get much work done on the body :)

Guest Troy Halliday

I had the frame lightly bead blasted to remove the dirt, and any rust of which I was informed there wasn't any. They started with a very ligh tpreasure to asses the state of the galvanising and I was told that it was in very good shape. So I got them to zinc coat it and then I sprayed it with POR15. It is great stuff but if you decide to spray it make a spray tent up using plastic sheeting, because unlike most paints the fine spray does not dry in the air. It sticks to everything!

Guest Troy Halliday

Funny after typing my last post I had a look at some of my photo's. It seems ages ago that it was in this state. Hard to believe that it all still looks like that under all the body, paint and trim :)

Just about to purchase a Turbo that needs a body off restoration.

Interesting pictures :P

Keep off the straight and narrow

• 2 years later...

Folks, I have sad news... John Pelaez (jpelaez on this forum) passed away unexpectedly Saturday, 16 August 08.

I am a friend of the family and have been asked to help by selling his Esprit. There were certain things his wife and parents wanted, but no one wanted the car. As a car guy and eBay addict I was chosen to list and sell the car.

It is currently apart in 3 major pieces: the rolling frame, the body on a wooden jig, and a completely disassembled engine.

I'm going to be putting it on eBay. What I'm not sure is whether to put it on as a complete car, or to attempt to part it out? It wasn't running when he bought it but I have no idea why. I was not able to find the original ebay listing.

Edited by dbroxson

Hi Don

Very sorry to hear about Johns passing - My condolences to the family, friends and yourself.

Can't be of much help regarding the Esprit, and can appreciate the need to get get rid of the car. Very tough I'm sure seeing it around, as I was in the same situation when my father passed away.

May I suggest posting it for sale as a complete project in need of restoration and re-assembling. That way an enthusiast might pick it up and put it back together again - Easier and quicker than parting it out in my opinion, which may be preferable to any financial gain - Hope that makes sense . Maybe try posting it for sale here as well? - You'll be reaching the right people with plenty of empathy and dedication to carry on the project.

Again, sorry to hear about this.

Regards - Mark

Edited by markt

very sad news about Johns passing, please pass on our condolences to his family :(

I know there is a member on here, located in Canada, that is looking to rebuild a S1 Esprit.

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)