Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Engine has no power, running badly - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Engine has no power, running badly

stevem

Hi guys

This evening I thought it would be a good idea to clean the top side of the engine, but now I wish I hadn't bothered. I gave the top of the cam covers a good squirt with de-greaser and also around the carbs. After I had cleaned the worst of the grime off with a soft brush, I gave the whole lot a wash off with a gentle water hose.

The car started OK, and it ticks over and revs as normal in Nuetral. However, in gear, it revs to about 2.5K and then starts struggling and has no power. It kind of 'burbles' and to get it up my driveway I had to slip the clutch a bit to make the climb.

Ticking over I can pull each plug lead in turn and the revs drop a bit, so all 4 plugs are getting spark. It seems like as I add throttle, the sparks's not advancing or the fuel mixture isn't right. I've looked for vac hoses off, loose connections etc and can't seem to see anything wrong. Any ideas ?

It's an 88 Turbo with twin Dellorto's. All standard. It ran fine until I cleaned it, no problems like this at all so it must be something that has either got wet or has been disturbed by me washing it.blink.gif

Too many Toys are never enough !

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK nick some paper towel from the kitchen and stuff it down all 4 spark plug recesses, if you have compressed air so much the better, just get it dry around the plugs.

Still the same ? well it was worth a try.

Distributor next, and in fact most likely from your description, this is a pig to get to but you need to get the cap off, may as well clean all the contacts while you

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

As above, or just leave your engine lid open for a day, the heat over there with you should get it sorted in no time....

I would guess your engines just having a strop cause you got it wet, her UK sisters are used to it and are more manned up for the job I recon! You've probably got an elegant lady engine, ours are butch, hang out in the rain, tattooed biker lezzer engines! :question:

Chunky Lover

Thanks Roger and Simon

I gave everything a spray with WD last night and had hoped that an overnight dry-out would have fixed it, but alas no. However, I've sorted it.

The small black vac hose that goes from the front corner of the front carb to the green temperature valve on the manifold and then from there onto the vacuum advance at the distributer had perished and split at the carb connection. It looked OK from the top, but when wiggled it just split open and also had a hole about 5mm from the end. I chopped off and inch to get to 'good rubber' and re-attached it, the car runs OK again now.

So it looks like it wasn't getting any ignition advance from the throttle. It must have been disturbed / made worse when I cleaned the area with a small brush. I will get some new silicon hose and replace any that looks like it's seen better days, but for now it's OK. thumbsup.gif

Edited by stevem

• 1 year later...

Steve i think im having a similar problem....the NRMA came out twice today for me, tested the coil its fine, the spark plugs spark but weakly and the starter spisn the pistons over and over and over but its only occasionaly coughs. wont start. any wise words? your the closest owner of a similar car, get down here and work some magic! i want my baby running again!!!

If you've got spark and the starter motor is turning over OK, next thing to check is fuel. When you turn the ignition key to the on position, can you hear the fuel pump 'zzzzz' sound coming from under the rear drivers wheel arch ? If so is there any fuel being delivered ? ( With the ignition off, carefully remove the fuel delivery hose from the fuel regulator and place the end of it into a container, then turn on the ignition switch and see if fuel squirts out. )

If you have fuel, check the two steel balance pipes that go between the carbs to make sure their 'banjo' fittings are secure and have a good look at the vac hoses under and around the engine. It might also be worth getting a timing light and checking that the spark is not advanced or retarded too far out of spec, just in case your dizzy has slipped.

What happened in the lead-up to this problem ? Was it running OK one day and not the next, did it fail during or after just after a drive ? Has it been getting worse over a period of time ?

NRMA - you're kidding. I am amazed they even agreed to have a look at an Esprit, let alone try to diagnose the problem. I bet there was a lot of huffing and puffing and chin scratching going on from the guy who came out to see you.

I just saw your other post, so much of the above doesn't count anymore I suppose.

Edited by stevem

• 5 months later...

similar problem again now people---not sure if its normal though because it goes away. Basicaly the past few weekends of driving (and really, since i got the car but its worse now) when you start it up and drive up you and heaving backwards and forward in your seat for about 50m by this burbling of the engine with a bit of backfire (light). it seems to mostly go away if you floor the throttle for a few seconds and even if you dont floor the throttle it disappaears completely once the engine is fully warm and then it drives like it did the day it left the factory.....its odd. I drive it literally every week, it doesnt just sit there....so im doubting there could be any gum deposits or the like. is that just carby engines or? But basically its runs terribly for about 4 minutes, then the engine is warm and its perfect!

***i should note too that on the advice of Steve from elan factory, i changed my oil when i did my last oil change 4 weeks ago to Nulon 15W/50 as he said the mobil 15w/50 was no good.....could it be that at low temp the thinner oil is getting into the combustion chamber and crapping things up?

Wait that makes no sense as 15w50 is slightly thicker cold that 10w60 and only slightly thinner at temperature....I start the car with the choke every time, could that be flooding the engine a bit?

Make friends with someone in Newcastle and go for spirited drive to visit. Then see how it runs and what the plug colour is. (and that it's even across all 4)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 2 weeks later...

If it is CIS injected car check the low and high temperature switch and thermal out switch. One of them may be bad.

Simple checks with the ohm meter, Lotus Notes Section LF

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS