Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sequential shifter - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Sequential shifter

ronin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Ronin how do you deal with being able to go from say fourth directly to second if you wanted to? I presume you have to cycle the box through third on the way?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Guys the cool thing about this setup is that the down shiffts are as fast as the upshifts.....5-4 no problem....5-2 no need to cycle down it's just a tripple tap in/out with the clutch and you are in second. Now you might just blow the engine with a shift like that at speed but the unit has a safety and will keep you in fifth if the shift is over the safe RPM limit for the engine......

The cool thing is you can doubble down. There is a programed shift time out, so if you are in a corner and know you want to exit in a lower gear just tap the paddle mid corner as you hold the wheel with both hands and just stap the clutch at the exit and you're in a lower gear.....

It really is cool. I'll post up some canyon video as soon as the roads are clear....

Edited by ronin

I think it's fast enough…maybe

Do you run a website with all the mod's you've done on your car?

Interesting reading and dreaming afterwards, thanks for sharing. :devil:

Edited by bosbon_be

Thanks guys, I'm always on www.monkeytuner.com if you want to see all the crap I've done......

I wish I could stop doing mods but the car is like a blank white canvas.... Some guys are happy seeing a polar bear in a snow storn...I've gotta see something more.... :devil:

Here's my problem I have an 88 Stevens Esprit Turbo, love it. I also have permenant spinal damage, right now I haven't driven it for 2 weeks, principly because I cannot get the clutch out. This is just a bad time, but they come more frequently, so I have been giving thought to automatic shifters and clutches but have no idea where to start, definatly an electronic clutch because that's the main issue, but where to from here. I want to keep the car.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

This setup does nothing with the clutch sorry to say. I don't know of any aftermarket setup that offers a clutch control......... I do remember having to sell my last Esprit due to clutch leg surgeries at the time...

I wish I could help ya...

frank

Rodger,

Ikeya in Japan makes a paddle shift system that can also operate the clutch.

here is a video

http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/images/wmv/mfps-auto.wmv

Here is the website

http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/mfps.html

they also make a sequential stick shift for the Lotus Elise....

http://www.ikeya-f.co.jp/en/product_notice/sequen_shifter.html

I would contact them... They seem to like Lotus.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I bought one of the Lotus Elise sequential gear lever shifter....$2,800.00 .. It was a pice of crap, I got rid of it as soon as I got it to work properly. It took a month to fine tune... stiff and notchy..junk :devil:

Edited by ronin

Thanks guys this is only a temporary set back (I hope) but they are happening more frequently so it's time to start the research, maybe some sort of servo for the clutch would do it, we have brake boosters why not clutch boosters.

In fact don't I recall one of the JPS cars having a servo operated clutch with a button top of the gearstick?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the paddle shifter, a little action in the canyons....

I'm just gettin use to my new happy-feat and magic-fingers working together.

It's a little bit of a re-learn to get the timing down since fickin my fingers is so much faster than removing my hand making a gear change and then back onto the wheel.

The best thing is never having to remove a hand while driving quickly down a rough road.... This is just so much safer in my opinion... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2A3ezX5IOo

Edited by ronin

Its tres cool, but you don't half shift your hands a lot, must have listened to your driving instructor well from when you were a boy! Shuffle shuffle :)

I must admit to liking your insertion of modern technologies! :)

Chunky Lover