Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
top end ticking - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

top end ticking

Daniel

started yesterday on my way home from a long run.

it's not an intermittent tick from one cylinder but more like a tick tick tick tick......very quiet but you can hear it from inside the cab.

Can the valve clearances get out of whack all together?

Could it be a blowing manifold?......what are the symptoms of the dreaded cracked manifold?

All fluids are checked regularly and are fine.....temps are fine, boost is fine.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When my manifold was cracked, it was fairly obvious with the hatch open and the car idling - the symptoms were smoke from the manifold area when cold and a loud exhaust.

I'm thinking perhaps the water pump or maybe something from the wheels.

Do you hear it louder with the window down?

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

It might be the manifold cracking however it might be the manifold gasket has failed somewhere. I suspect I may have had that happen when mine was replaced but can't be sure. The manifold itself 'may' have been intact. Left it with the mechanic who must have been rubbing his hands together...

Db

started yesterday on my way home from a long run.

it's not an intermittent tick from one cylinder but more like a tick tick tick tick......very quiet but you can hear it from inside the cab.

Can the valve clearances get out of whack all together?

Could it be a blowing manifold?......what are the symptoms of the dreaded cracked manifold?

All fluids are checked regularly and are fine.....temps are fine, boost is fine.

Before you rip your engine apart...

A split hose to the intake manifold will make a audible clicking sound. Check the hose between the fuel pressure regulator to the TEE in the intake manifold (under the chargecooler) and follow that to the 1-way check valve that goes down to the crankcase breather (above the flywheel housing).

Also check the hose at the front of the intake manifold (by the waterpump) that goes to a 1-way check valve, and then onto the charcoal cannister.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

A cracked manifold, or other exhaust leak (say from a missing or loose exhaust stud) can usually be heard easily while accelerating next to a wall or gaurd rail. Make sure you haven't lost a exhaust stud, or check that they tight.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

HI Daniel

Check that the plug leads are not tracking to earth that can make a ticking sound. you can check by looking around engine bay in a dark place (watch the fingers. things are still hot and whizzing around even in the dark :) )

Ray