Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
'JUMPING' EUROPA S2 - Europa - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

'JUMPING' EUROPA S2

nanardos

Hi,

I recently imported from the USA a 1969 Europa S2 which has the following problem.

It starts immediately and runs great for a few hundreds meters, then suddenly starts 'jumping then stops completely.

I start it again, it runs great again for another few hundred meters, etc, I do this over and over until the car stops completely with an almost dead battery.

The car came equipped with an electric fuel pump which I replaced with a new one to make sure the fuel flow was fine

and a down draft Weber which I cleaned with a carb cleaner product.

There was also a transparent fuel filter with tracks of what I suspect to be rust in it.

As the car has been sitting a long time, I wonder whether it could be rust in the fuel tank that causes the problem.

What do think ?

(the spark plugs, leads, coil, etc , are brand new)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

What do you mean by jumping Bernard?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

My Esprit did exactly the same and it was flakes of rust in the fuel tanks partially blocking the outlet pipes .

When I started the car it would tick over fine, drive a few hundred yards on the fuel in the float bowls then run very erratically eventually stopping, if I left the ignition on it would fill the bowls then do the same again.

Check the fuel flow at the carb to start with then work your way back to the tank.

Worth cleaning the whole fuel system right through as the carbs are bound the have some sediment in too I would guess

• 1 month later...