Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
'85 N/A turbo brake master - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

'85 N/A turbo brake master

Had no replies on prev. post. Does anyone know if there are any other vehicles that this brake master fits? Minimally, I need to rebuild that cly. so I can be ready to drive reliably this seaon, but cannot find the kit for it here in the US. Thanks again, Lee

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there,

I might be very very wrong but my old land rover seems to have the same looking master cylinder. Once I am back near them I will have a close look.

However you might be able to look up a 1986 land rover 90 master brake cylinder if you cant wait for me to check.

Curly Jon

Hi Lee

Ian heighway added this post to the alternative parts source...

"S1,S2, and S3 Clutch Master cylinder is the same as Land Rover 90, 110 and ser3

(use the Lotus push rod as it is longer)

You can get the part from any Land rover dealer pattern part from around

RE: Land Rover brake master cylinder, doesnt the Landie have 4 wheel drum brakes?

If so the chances of the bore and piston being the right size for The Esprit discs are slim.

Good luck with the experiment :lol:

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Jeff at JAE once told me that the brake master cylinder for the Federal S2 was the same as used on the Federal Morris Marina. I don't know if it is different from the domestic Marina.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Thanks for all of your replies. I really want to sort it out before the good weather. I've been testing other mods to the car on good days but it is getting a bit dangerous as the pedal just sinks to the floor (I am certain it is the seals). Anyway, keep the info coming!

BTW: would anyone know if the mount for the earlier girling cyls is the same as mine?? Bolt spacing in the flange etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Have had no luck yet. Can't believe they are that scarce! Hasn't anyone on the forum needed to rebuild or replace a brake master of this type???

Rather frustrating! Thanks for everyone's input, I will keep searching. Lee

I rebuilt the brake master cylinder on my S2 using seals from JAE. I had major problems with the 2 nylon guides that are in the entrance to the master cylinder. The first was no too bad to remove but the inner one was a swine as the bore goes larger then smaller so the disc gets caught and there's nothing to hold to get it out. In the end, I took a bit and brace to mine to destroy it and got another machined up at a local shop.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Trev, thanks for the input. Is your cylinder a girling? It would really help me to know the bore size. Also, is the mounting flange vertical or horizontal w/ respect to the holes? I might be able to use the earlier cyl., especially if the bore size is smaller, since I got rid of the booster unit. Lastly, are these entire cyl's. easy to come by??

Thanks again, and best of wishes in your new home! Lee

Can't remember the bore. I know it's an eighth smaller than the Elite's because JAE told me as they had cylinders for the Elite but not the S2. I'll check the position of thge fixings tomorrow but I think they are vertical.

Don't know if the Turbo is the same but the S2's is unobtainable.

Rare?

Not as far as I am aware - but as long as you're happy to ship from the UK (should only take a week anyway)

Try SJ Sportscars

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Hey, Trev, Thanks for the info. Are the seal kits unavailable or just the complete master cyl.? Let me know if the flanges are vertical. Lee

Robin, Sorry I didn't see your reply. Do you happen to know if the proper kit for my Bendix '23' cyl. is avail. over there? Or @ least the entire Girling master cyl's. are avail.? One week really is no trouble, if I know I'm getting the correct part. Thanks for your input. Lee

Robin, very distracted here, didn't see the SJ link. Will try that unless you might know the info. Thanks, Lee

Edited by Esprit Aviation