Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
radiator coolant - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

radiator coolant

pomoz

Gday Pomoz here

I have a 1987 HC na

I am about to do a oil change etc

Seeing that the car has been here in Queensland for about 2 years now ...after the long trip from UK.

Thought i would flush and change the radiator at the same time

Seeing that the capacity holds 12 litres

That when the cars left the factory... that had 40% coolant in them (from a book )

What % COOLANT would one put in the car now........ being this side of the world is a bit warm.

Mind you the car dont go out when the sun is shining TOO MUCH nor does it go out in the rain.

Many Thanks

pomoz alex

Cough Cough Im Off

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using 50% antifreeze, 50% water in my '84.

I'm in Washington state, about 45 degrees north latitude, and not that far from the coast, so I tend to drive when the temperatures are between 10C and 25C.

Then engine doesn't get hot unless I'm going slow in 1st or 2nd for a long time, such as in very slow traffic, then I turn on the A/C in order to get the front fans to come on. That brings the engine temperature down to normal.

-Dave

All Cows Eat Grass

50:50 is a good way to go as antifreeze works as a coolant as well! I run mine like this all year round. OK so over here in the UK conditions aren't particularly harsh - although it is only about 5 degrees at the moment. Think we even got down to minus 2 last night!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Apart from stopping the coolant freezing, the antifreeze also acts as an anti-corrosion treatment. Without it the alloy engines tend to rot away quite quickly, dissimilar metals corrosion is a killer. I have had to SAW a cylinder head off a Triumph Stag when the studs corroded into the head so badly the head was not removeable! 40% glycol based antifreeze would be the minimum I would consider, even in equatorial regions. Wonder if there are any Esprits on the Equator?

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Guest Troy Halliday

I always use distilled water in my rads. Less chemicals in it. I was recommended it by a friend who works on a rally team. There are several different types of antifreeze/summer coolent out there and as Molemot said make sure you get one suitable for aluminium engines.

Comma recomend 50% COMMA XSTREAM GREEN 50% Water.

I have emailed Comma as to whether the suggest/recomend the use of distilled water with their system. When I know you'll know.

I'd suggest the green Nulon product. No freezing temps up there in Queensland for you to worry about so 33% should be fine. Mix with distilled water.

DanR

I uses 50-50 Prestone green antifreeze and distilled water.(Canadian winters)

It gets hot here in the summer, (30 degrees C) and have had no overheating problems)

I dont drive my car in the winter, but need the protecton down to -45 in case the heating in the garage breaks down.

What ever you do DONT use Dex Cool antifreeze in these cars. It is not compatible with the lead solder used on the heater core and radiator.

Use of it will drastically shorten the life span of these components.

SUNP0003-1.jpg

I use Evans NPG-R coolant. You put it in pure w/ no water. May not be suitable for extremely cold. I would like to hear from someone who has used it w/o any other mods to the cooling system for a direct comparison. I have made drastic changes to my cooling system @ the same time as I started to use their coolant, so I have no baseline for its performance. My decision was based solely on info from Evans. Go to the Evans website to educate yourself, as there are too many details to get into here.

Thanks for putting this post up. I checked mine seeing as I had the tool and well I think I have some light blue water! As the hydrometer is about 10 yrs ol I bought one to match the one I got for the battery water testing so once I am back home think I will be testing it again and buying more coolant!

I really must start taking pics and making guides for Kato to make a proper G car tech section on his site...

Curly

Thanks for putting this post up. I checked mine seeing as I had the tool and well I think I have some light blue water! As the hydrometer is about 10 yrs ol I bought one to match the one I got for the battery water testing so once I am back home think I will be testing it again and buying more coolant!

I really must start taking pics and making guides for Kato to make a proper G car tech section on his site...

Curly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget that the TE Wiki is always looking for content. It hasn't had much tech info added lately (although that will change now that I actually have my engine back in my possession). Anyone can add content and photos, so things like this can be added instantly instead of relying on someone else to do it for you.

1997 Jeep XJ | 1983 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Hi guys Im running Toyota's 4life coolant in my S1 I am told by Toyota Tec bods this stuff is 100% alloy friendly and is a great coolant. I also read in a Classic car mag something about how good this stuff is in all alloy engines.

logo_01-2.jpg

I dont mean to alarm you Ian, but this 4 life coolant (red) is another version of Texacos Dex Cool coolant. Yes it is compatible with aluminium, but not with the lead solder used in yor radiator and heater matrix.

If you carry on using it , it will cause them to leak :D

Modern cars (which this coolant was designed for) use aluminium cored radiators with the end tanks (plastic) sealed by swaged in rubber seals.

We have been using that coolant over here since 1996, and I have personally seen 2 cases of wierd radiator leaks because of this product(in a car with a new copper cored radiator)

Sorry mate, :D

SUNP0003-1.jpg

What % COOLANT  would one put in the car now........ being this side of the world is a bit warm.

Mind you the car dont go out when the sun is shining TOO MUCH  nor does it go out in the rain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alex,

I'm down the road in Brisbane and I think we've spoken before - I think I saw your car getting complianced by Keith Fackrell.... have you been up the Palmwoods-Montville road yet? ;-)

This summer I tried Water Wetter in my coolant and it definitely helped a lot in keeping things cooler than previously. I used the pink stuff. The only places you can get it is at Coventry Auto parts outlets. The other biggies don't stock it.

cheers,