Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Modding a Europa S - Elise / Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Modding a Europa S

Bigcalm

Hi

Having spent the last couple of months getting to know my Europa, I'm now starting to modify her. I've read on this forum and at Pistonheads that the best options to transform the cars are the ECU upgrade, Brake pads and Milltek exhaust, so my questionsare for anyone that's played with their Europa...

1. Which is the best ECU upgrade - I understand that Thorney's and Hoffmans both do an updae ECU, which is best? (my car is an original S with 197hp ECU)

2. There is some talk of blown O2 sensors with the Milltek exhaust - is this common? Anything else I need to look out for with the exhaust?

3. I'm looking at Mintex 1144 pads to ugrade the brakes - is the best option (the car will mainly road with a little track)

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

Well re the ECU it really depends what you want from the car, if you're just after a little extra power then the Lotus ECU would be a worthwhile change along with the Miltek or Chris Tullet exhaust it would give you around 235/240bhp & an increase in torque. I do know that quite a few Lambda sensors have blown on the Miltek but have no experience of this on the Chris Tullet exhaust which in my opinion is superior & can be bought from Randy at Hofmanns.

The other option at the moment is Chris's upgrade ECU which, along with a few other mods, would give you a massive increase in power, depends how much you want to spend :police:

On the pads, again the Carbon Lorraine pads at Hofmanns have had excellent reviews & when mine wear out that is certainly what I'll be using, 1144's are a good budget alternative though

Junks :censored:

The best mod is to upgrade the front braking system.

Next change the engine oil to a high quality synthetic. http://top-oils.co.u...5w50-p-128.html (which I use, and is ideal for road and track)

or http://top-oils.co.u...tres-p-51.html. It makes a huge difference to how the engine performs.

Maybe change the exhaust for a few extra BHP

My understanding was that Randy's ECU upgrade was not available yet? Maybe it is.

I also thought that Thorney's were not doing the ECU upgrades on Europas.

Driver training for the track. My 151BHP Elise S1 stuffed two engine converted cars with a big HP difference on a Silverstone track day which visibly upset the two drivers. I wasn't driving that session!

Edited by PierreLP

Courtenay's can't do the Europa as yet but should be able to offer something in a few months

Okay, thanks for all the tips, keep em coming

I'm looking for more power and a harder edge to the car, and a little more noise would be good too.

I emailed Chrtis Tullet and he said he's never done an exhaust for the Lotus - he does VX220's and he "thinks it might fit but wouldn't sell me one until he knew for sure"

Excuse my ignorance but whats the www for Hoffmans - I'll contact Randy and see what he's says regarding exhaust and ECU

Thorney's website talks about a 3 stage option for ECU and exhaust here http://www.thorneymo...pa-tuning.shtml, the stage 2 option looks interesting to me.

I'm keen to hear of anyone who done stuff like this to their Europa's

All advice gratefuly received!!!!

Cheers

Steve

The stock ECU is currently limited in terms of upgrades which is why I developed the Solaris upgrade which has exceptional functionality but isn't a 'plug and play' solution so comes with a cost penalty. I am still working on methods of getting into the stock ECU to tune it properly but I don't have anything 100% yet. We do a raft of other upgrade options for the Europa from chargecooling to brakes to suspension etc etc. All our products are proven on our race Europa which is probably the fastest racing lotus in the country. office number is 01491 848800.

• 3 years later...

Reading over this old thread as I am curious to find out if there ever was a well designed induction kit available for the Europa S.

My car has the full milltek exhaust system fitted, however standard intake I believe. Anyone aware of a good intake system for the Europa S?