91 Elan - M100 Elan - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

91 Elan

Racerstev

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that site is not updating anymore.

there were factories who make aftermarket (better quality) rear top links, but out of business already.

Dont know if the PU bushes still available.

Good luck! it seems late model Elan is losing supports in parts.

Let's hope LOTUS would do something about it.

Steve - I am a mod on LEC and would like to help you reigister on there. PM/email me your login name and password and I'll get you set up!

Dave.

Don't panic. I've had more than my fair share of problems & I wouldn't swap my Elan for anything.

Hopefully Spud...er Dave Eds is sorting out your LEC logon as there is loads of info on there. Until then, what problems are you having?

LEC is the best place, they know their M100's on there for sure :rolleyes:

You can still stick around here too, we're all Lotus fans together!

Looks like a nice car, what problems does it have?

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I think that site is not updating anymore.

there were factories who make aftermarket (better quality) rear top links, but out of business already.

Dont know if the PU bushes still available.

Good luck! it seems late model Elan is losing supports in parts.

Let's hope LOTUS would do something about it.

I've just noticed the above post. Sounds gloomy.

LEC is very much alive & well. It is certainly updating. I've posted on it today.

The fact that 2 moderators & a member have posted on here in the past 2 days can't be too bad???

Some OEM parts are becoming difficult to source but there are lots of alternatives being created by LEC members.

I have not heard of an Elan which is off the road due to a lack of available spares.

Hello, I just picked up a very very used 91 Elan. Were is a good place to look for parts for this fairly rare car?

Thanks! Steve from the US

Here's a few places to start....

http://www.davebean.com/

http://www.lotusm100parts.com/

A UK parts option that will ship to the US

http://www.sjsportscars.co.uk/index.php?mod=9

Whay do you require?

Just remember don't pay Lotus prices when there could be a cheaper alternative

Waiting to help on the darkside.... :thumbdown:

TTFN

Wow, thanks for all the replys!

As far as what's wrong, it's a bit of a list...

Right now I'm working on the dash cluster, seems someone was in there and most of the mounting points are missing.

Is it normal to have a brown goo holding the dash together, it's sticky as can be and runny in this heat (104 yesterday)..

At least everything seems to work on the dash, so nothing needed there, just need to secure the cluster.

Other issues I havn't gotten to yet:

Drivers seat mount, it's held in with a peice of wood right now!!! Didn't notice it till I went to move it..

The brakes are just awful, lots of travel and it really dosn't stop very well, looks like the car has been sitting and the rotors are wasted.

Need to adjust the gas pedal, no way to heel and toe the way it is.

Some cracks in the body, mainly the hood and right font fender.

Engine idle has been an issue, there's no IAC on this engine?? All I found was a big screw on top of the throttle body that seems to be rigged.

It was idleing at 2500=3000 rpm. I have it down to 1200 now.

The top hardwear seems to be mis alined and worn..

Passenger headlight motor works when it wants to but most of the time gets stuk half way up and wiggles.

Other then that the car is in great shape!! LOL

On a posative note, I've always wanted one of these and am so pleased to finally own one! Now I just need to make it right!

Steve

LEC kitty fiddler here. If you care to give me loads of money, I'll get it sorted for you! :whistle:

Seriously, sorry that you're having problems with registration and you are not the only one. I've e-mailed our two Chief LEC Information Technologists who will hopefully be able to sort out any problems. In anticipation of their question, what sort of problems are you having?

Geoff

PS nice car and best colour! :thumbdown:

Steve, there is an IAC. There is a lot of technical help on the WikiLEC, specifically here for tickover.

Geoff Smith

LotusElanCentral.com and BOLLECKS† founder

[†Bristol and Outlying Lands Lotus Elan Central Knowledge and Support]

I can answer some...

Brown goo in the dash? Sounds like the stuff that Lotus put there I'm afraid. One of our members from mainland Europe was trying to tidy this up.

Driver's seat mount.. I've got some spare runners....at least I think that's what they are :thumbdown: I bought them new (cheaply) at a recent Lotus sale.

Stock brakes are rubbish. Even with cleaned calipers & upgraded pads, they don't inspire a lot of confidence. When the issues get sorted & you manage to get on the forum, have a look for Bob Brown's work in the Brakes & Suspension section. He did a nice kit for the front of mine recently. Works a treat & didn't cost a fortune.

Idle/Air control valve should be behind the engine a few inches beneath the adjustment screw. It's not the easiest thing to get at & sounds like someone's bodged yours.

Headlight motor bushes are known to fail so many of us have spares for these, me included. If you cannot find any elsewhere, then let me know...but I'd rather not let these go because I WILL need them in time.

I am sure I can help with some of the problems, like brakes and suspension.

I have done a lot of work with the brakes on the Elan and I think I have a handle on most problems you are likley to face along with supplying upgrade kits for both front and rear although the latter does require a rear hub conversion that I get made up.

I am also fabricating some new front lower TCA/wish bones along with some new upper rear links of the S2 type.

If you need details ping me an email robert at swcsl dot co dot uk

Bob

Another LECker here, but nothing so grand as a mod.

Get yourself over to Central, a more helpful and knowledgeable bunch don't exist.

Drivers seat mount, it's held in with a peice of wood right now!!! Didn't notice it till I went to move it..

Seat rails are available on aftersales, dirt cheap.

The brakes are just awful, lots of travel and it really dosn't stop very well, looks like the car has been sitting and the rotors are wasted.

Bob Brown is the king of brakes. The stock brakes are poor, so buying his HiSpec upgrade kit will keep you safe. It should be every new owner's No.2 upgrade (after the cambelt).

Need to adjust the gas pedal, no way to heel and toe the way it is.

Some cracks in the body, mainly the hood and right font fender.

Someone will be able to help.

Engine idle has been an issue, there's no IAC on this engine?? All I found was a big screw on top of the throttle body that seems to be rigged.

It was idleing at 2500=3000 rpm. I have it down to 1200 now.

Good advice already issued!

The top hardwear seems to be mis alined and worn..

Easily fixed!

Passenger headlight motor works when it wants to but most of the time gets stuk half way up and wiggles.

There are modification kits to fix the headlight motors

Other then that the car is in great shape!! LOL

She looks nice, anyway, and I'm sure you'll have a ball once the niff naff trivia is sorted.