Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Headlamps... - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Headlamps...

Hey all,

If all goes to plan I'll be needing a headlamp or 2 in a couple of weeks, I have asked which but knowing my luck it'll be the expensive ones...

Been on LEW but some of the links to alternatives but some appear to be dead:- www.lotusperformance.co.uk ;)

Is there any reason why 2 pairs of generic 5 3/4" lamps with H4 bulbs in will not work - all 4 wired for main/dip/side?

Would be around £100 for a decent make full set of 4...will take some imagination to make the mounts work though.

I'll also have to strip clean and mend or replace a headlamp motor but will need to see what exactly is up with it.

Ta

Rich

Lotus Esprit S4 - Work in progress

Porsche 924 Turbo - Parts chaser

Smart Roadster Coupe - Hers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought the Esprits were 6" not 5.75" but I could be corrected.

As for your problem with the headlights not lifting, you need to look at the module which usually gets corroded and needs replacing. I have an electronics guru who might be able to sort this out for you.

Regards,

David

Cheers gents ;)

Those Hellas were the sort I was looking at.

Is it possible to swap the motor loom over L>R to see if the problem swaps sides?

Hi Rich,

If only one headlight is lifting then it may be possible. At least then you can work out if its the headlight motor or the control module. For your MOT though, don't worry too much, just manually wind the one that doesn't work up. As long as it lights up and the outer ones aren't corroded on the reflectors then it will pass. The inner ones can be completely corroded on the reflector, it's not an MOT requirement.

As for those headlights, they aren't the right part although you may be able to coble something up. I should be able to get hold of the genuine parts for you. The outer is Valeo/Cibie concave and inner is convex and Lotus only. You'll have to make a decision as to whether you go aftermarket.

David

I have asked which one is corroded but as it failed it's MOT then it should be the outer then - or the MOT guy didn't care and failed it anyway.

So what are the lights for then? I take it outers are dip/side and the inners are main beam?

I think he must have wound the lights up for the MOT anyway, and that was my plan, get it through the MOT and get the cambelt changed, the rest is less critical:sorcerer:

The lift motor/electrics can then wait until it gets to the top of the list!

The outer are dipped/main and inners are main only. The outers sometimes go off when you select main but main beam isn't an MOT item or at least the reflector strip.

If your motor is knackered then I can either sho you how to strip and repair it or give it to my guy who might be able to repair it for you. If it's the module then my electronic's guy should be able to fix it for you.

It's such a minor problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet.

David

Nice one cheers.

In the scheme of things it's trivia I agree!

Rich

OK after a bit of research it looks like everyone was right, the headlamps are either 6" or 5 3/4" units depending on the model.

I'm going to investigate the possibility of fitting 4 new 5 3/4" lamp (Cibie/hella/valeo) units with H4 pattern bulbs, that would give 4 dip, 4 main beam and 4 side lamps.

The cost is much lower than the normal setup and might provide a bit more light. Does anyone know if this is allowed in the UK?

Will probably require a bit of imagination when it comes to mounting them but not too much - I'll press the lathe into service and make adapters if required... Will see how I get on.

I'm going to order a pair of lamps then I can at least get 2 lamps working for the MOT without delay regardless of which is corroded.

Cheers

Rich

OK for future reference:

5 3/4" headlamps do not fit, not even close, despite allegedly being 1/4" smaller they are about 1/2" smaller in outer diameter :thumbdown:

The outer headlamps are the same part as S1 Elises :thumbsup: but they are £50 each dry.gif

• 2 months later...

SJS provided me with a pair of Cibié units for approx £50 a piece. Could prove difficult to find cheaper than that...

Edited by RV_ABZ

1980 Peugeot 504 Coupé V6Ti

2000 Peugeot 406 Coupé V6SE

1996 Lotus Esprit S4s

I did manage to fit 5 3/4 lamps by gluing them in with PU adhesive they jsut don't fit the original holders.

Basically what I have fitted, the lamps are low quality and won't last that long, but they are cheap!!

I purchased the Pilots from JCWhitney

maybe google the part number to find who has them for sale or contact the manufacturer on that link

they were $60/pair

the 3 notches in the retaining ring were about 1/4" off and I had to Dremel longer notches

to accept the lights

otherwise, they fit right in!

Edited by ragingfool35

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

I just ordered a pair of Hot Rod lights from eBay. I hope they will fit somehow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...RK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

5 3/4" RED DOT TRI BAR HOT ROD HEADLIGHTS - PAIR

261763890_tp.jpg<H1 class=vi-it-itHd>5 3/4" RED DOT TRI BAR HOT ROD

Headlights include very bright 55/60w halogen bulbs.

25USD+10.50 shipping

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just saw this thread, I found 5 3/4" glass beams with H4 bulbs for about $35 a pair on Ebay and fitted HID H4 bulbs and ballasts too. I'll post up pics. Fit perfectly in all regards. Had to fidget with the rubber grommets to get the larger HID beam and receptacle thru but looks ace and much better lighting than the old sealed beam lights that were in place. I'll post up pics in the coming days. May even still have the packaging from the beams with part numbers in case anyone is interested. A side note too, the HID system I installed, is also installed on my RX7 that has been operational for over a year without issues.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Lou,

Here are the parts I used.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUE-5-3-4-5-75-H5001-H5006-ROUND-CLEAR-HEADLIGHTS-H4-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e5c8f48aQQitemZ360337437834QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I got 2 sets of these. They are real glass, not plastic! They fit my buckets perfectly!

Here is a similar HID kit to the one I got. I bought 2 last year when I put the HID's in my RX7 and I ordered 2 different temp ranges. I liked the whiter lights with the blue lenses I got for the Lotus so I used that kit on the Esprit. They only require running a + battery lead, which I accessed from the front main relay panel where one of the relay locations that was vacant so it is a dedicated lead for the headlights so as to not interfere with anything else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-Digital-Xenon-HID-Kit-5000K-6000K-8000K-10000K-Hi-Lo-/170452495093?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27afc2aaf5

post-1055-0-11591800-1296014812.jpg

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

These look neat, but I worry about the quality. They have the BMW style angel eyes.

09-1049.jpg

http://www.grsales.com/Auto_HL/5inch.php

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRM-09-1049/

Luke Colorado, Super Spy.   -  Lotus Owner No Longer

1987 Zender Widebody 560SEC | 1994 Lotus Esprit S4 | 2013 Honda Fit EV (#269)