Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Handbrake issue - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Handbrake issue

I originally rebuilt the brakes, including rears some time ago.

A few months ago it came to my attention that only the drivers side hand brake was operating. I dismantled it, rebuilt and installed it, and it seemed fine at the time.

However once again only the drivers side is working. These are self adjusting on the handbrake, and have a "worm" system, it seems it may be "Un-adjusting" anyone have any experience, is there a left and right and the worm turning the wrong way?

I'd like to get an idea of what I'm looking for when I dismantle.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

I had only one side working when I initially got my S4. Simple matter of adjustment and mine was sorted. I presume you have looked at that already?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Yes, both working fine when fitted, then the left one seems to adjust off, rather than on. It's done it twice now.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Gold FFM

Well, that's me all out of ideas. :lol:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Where's Sparky when you need him ? Sprained wrist or limp wrist, it's no excuse, neither is playing with a yank tank. :sofa:

Hi Roger,

I have te same rubbish rear calipers, I have had problems with the handbrake as well. Firstly are they both releasing ok when you let the hanbrake off?

Recentley the passanger side started to grab again, turned out the cable was getting nipped by the road spring. so rerouted it, I also gave the brakes a good whack with a rubber mallet to loosen them up and then a good spray of lube on the cables etc. Seems to be ok now, but the handbrake is weak.

Good luck

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I wish I could get mine to grab!

They both release fine, well the drivers side releases the passenger doesn't go on so it's always released.

Thing is it works fine when I put it together, and there's not that much wear that adjustment should come into it over the short term, but after a couple of weeks the passenger side has worked it's self off. :rant:

You may be better of upgrading to the V8 version I belive its brembos and is the same as the elise. I am think ing of this as the Bendix calipers are pants

Chris

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 1 month later...

Well yesterday morning about 10 am I decided to sort the handbrake. I finished about 4 pm this afternoon :realmad:

2 days to adjust a Lotus handbrake ? about average I guess.

I had the 1 calliper off, and located the problem (I think) the centre adjusted pin was not reducing the distance between it and the can, just not sliding in the caliper casting.

Freed up and reassembled, it seems OK but then I wasn't happy with the release either side. So I disconected the cales and lubricated them as best I could, all seems well.

Even managed to tighten the wheels with the car still on stands, just the handbrake :animier:

The irony is that now understanding how the system works I could probably have resolved the issue by stamping on the foot bake.:whistle:

• 2 years later...

The irony is that now understanding how the system works I could probably have resolved the issue by stamping on the foot bake.whistle.gif

Hey Roger, My handbrake seems to be grabbing slightly (i.e when rolling slowly it pulls up as if the handbrake is on). I'm not that mechanically minded which is what drew me to your comment. What is the link between the handbrake and foot brake? I'm praying for an easy fix.

BTW, the problem started when I left the car to get the headlining done and when I got it back I noticed the handbrake felt different. My guess is they left the handbrake on and moved the car.

DSC_3683.jpg

My final solution to all my handbrake issues, and so easy.

No further issues for 2 years !

I can even give you a spring number CSW Products No C239. If you cant reference it, it's a fairly heavy compression spring, You need to get the ID over the nipple on the end of the cable, and strong fingures, as you need a fair bit of compression in the "rest" position. Easier done with the support bracket off.

Just a note, at home I leave mine parked on chocks and leave the handbrake off.

Edited by Roger the Dodger