Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
S1 Project car - Page 4 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

S1 Project car

Hi Angus

At least my mind is working....well almost, may be worth starting a thread on this as lots of interesting Lotus cars came out with MPW plates including early Essex cars.

Cheers

Dave

Do or do not, there is no try! 

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would post a few pics of the chassis now almost complete albeit a little dusty;

post-10978-0-73283600-1387799909.jpg

post-10978-0-16818500-1387799939.jpg

post-10978-0-16613500-1387799981.jpg

post-10978-0-71042700-1387800082.jpg

post-10978-0-59157000-1387800157.jpg

post-10978-0-86040100-1387800214.jpg

post-10978-0-47855100-1387800285.jpg

post-10978-0-26781700-1387800341.jpg

post-10978-0-88997000-1387800438.jpg

Now just to get it running and checked for leaks over the Xmas break, I have got everything together including an ignition, gauges, tank and wiring so just connect up and cross fingers!!

I fitted the pedal box as plan to get the brakes and clutch working so I can make sure all is fine before removing to fit the shell, should make it quicker then.

Then just that blasted body shell to get sorted which has gone on forever.... :(

Yes binned the foam which traps water and went with bitumen based sound proofing material, got the idea from Matt Watts, he swears by it and made his car very quiet. I am happy to go with improvements on my car making the most of modern materials.

I even used the S2 pedal box as it had proper bushes and is far improved over the S1 item which has a steel shaft running through two drilled holes. I have kept all my original bits in a box in the loft.

Hi Vin

I will try and take pictures of both for you, the pedal box is lovely and smooth with the bushes compared to the one my car came with, I think they changed in 1980, I will look at the one fitted on my S2 although will have to put my head in water at the moment as it is leaking from rain water.

Cheers

Dave

Guest surferphil

No not the same, the light weight Dynamat doesn't use bitumen so its not adding weight and bitumen based products are generally designed for metal not fibreglass/composites, so you will be adding weight needlessly. The Dynamat doesn't absorb moisture/water where other products do.

If its worth doing its worth doing properly  ;)

Sealed all the edges on mine with aluminium tape so no worries there, I even left my car outside for 6 months with just a cover to find all the weak areas of the build, everyone thought I was nuts but it held up really well, I then revisited the required areas hence lots of stainless parts.

Not worried about the weight really as the sound proofing material I bought (Edead) was very light. I also used stainless to replace alloy spacers etc so that added weight.

A lot of weight is from the occupants, I am 15.5 stone so no light weight!

Guest surferphil

I did something similar with some bits I coated to see which was the best rust proofer. But doing it with the whole rolling chassis is a pretty good idea (although I don't have much choice).

Anyway, light weight is definitely the way to go and I agree with stainless, there is often a trade off/fine line between weight and strength.

I got an MOT on your old Elan S2 last week ;)

Edited by surferphil
  • Like 1

Well done Phil, did it take a lot of work?

I always fancied building a race lotus making it light, would have to be an Excel or Éclat though as Esprit's are just to expensive to buy these days. I did like that black race ready S1 which was for sale earlier this year, so cool!

I am sticking with my steel tanks as worried about the new fuels damaging the aluminium ones, I would go stainless but not easy to manufacture?

Just been checking that dynamat material so may put it under the carpets, going to order a small amount to see how well it bonds, thanks for the advice as could be a winner. The stuff I put on the chassis stuck so strong it would be a nightmare to get off.

Guest surferphil

A fair bit: Exhaust, Brake callipers, Belts/water pump, Anti roll bar links, headlamp refit and pod motor rebuild, Oil cooler duct, refit the bumper (put the indicators the right way round) rear tyres, hood trim panel, window seals, there are a few bent pipes under the bonnet to do.

The engine was horrible to begin with, sticky waste gate but it runs well now.

I just want to drive it and see what happens with those noisy tappets :)

Well done Phil, sounds like you have been a busy guy, hopefully the tappets will improve with some mileage? At least it has gone to a good home with an owner who knows what he's doing, another sorry Lotus saved!

Have a good new year

Dave :)

• 3 months later...

Hi Dave,

Did you buy the dynamat for the interior?.. This is something I'm looking to do in the coming weeks

Was wondering how much I would need to do the interior...  Had a look at edead but it can't get onto the website... maybe the company closed business?

Vin Taylor

Hi Vin

I bought a big roll online through eBay so have enough to do the interior as well, think I bought 10 metres but can't remember as long time ago. It sticks really well though which is a bonus mate.

My body got booked in for the 22nd April today with someone reliable and decent so things are looking up for the S1 which has been on hold for what seems like ever! :)

Finally got the vent grilles done for the dash thanks to a friend who is restoring his Orange S1 and provided the pattern.

post-10978-0-54417600-1396728107.jpg

I just need to get the engine running this month now before the body comes back so the challenge is on :)

Hi Dave,

Good to here you are making progress. It has woken me up I need to get my Esprit sorted.

Did you have any luck finding your spare rear shelves, I also need a drivers side rear quarter window if anyone can help?

Is there a replacement hydraulic strut available for the rear hatch.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

I am going to make a new wood set for my S2 soon so need the patterns for the minute, I will cut out a couple new shelves for you at the same time, clean and fit the original carpet sections.

I did know of a replacement strut part number but need to find it in one of my notebooks, they were cheap and fitted great working really well. Best do the pair together, I don't know of any quarter glasses but you could try Lotusbits or if you fancy paying crazy money then Steve Strange at Douglas Valley. Depends how desperate you are, did you break yours?

We all look forward to seeing your car as looks lovely.